Guaranteed suite

Posted (edited)

I saw a recent news item about people with a guaranteed suite were told a few days before sailing they are not able to board. They were told that guaranteed meant that at least that level of suite provided all suites were not sold. The cruise was sold out and they were bumped. So today I looked at a Regent Seven Seas cruise and the suite I wanted was 'guaranteed'. So I asked RSSC could I be bumped and they said it was 'unlikely'. So it is possible. Does anybody know if being bumped with a guaranteed suite is anything they have heard of or should I be worried about?

Edited by Prolecata
Missed word

1 hour ago, Prolecata said:

So today I looked at a Regent Seven Seas cruise and the suite I wanted was 'guaranteed'. So I asked RSSC could I be bumped and they said it was 'unlikely'. So it is possible. Does anybody know if being bumped with a guaranteed suite is anything they have heard of or should I be worried about?

I have not heard of it -- it should not happen! Any cruiseline should stop selling a category when the booked cabins and the guarantees total the number of that category available! It's called a Guarantee, not a Wish!

Anyway, I suggest you re-post the question in Ask A Cruise Question and maybe the RSSC board, as this board sees very little traffic and many knowledgeable people will not see your question. 

I think that every cruise line handles this differently.

We sail primarily with Viking and we recently booked a very last minute (two weeks before sailing) cruise in Europe.  Our booking was a guarantee cabin.

We were concerned because we had heard the same - that people arrive at the ship and are bumped or they are told a few days before that they are not going to make it on the ship.

Viking gave us their policies around this and we were satisfied and continued forward with the booking and all went well.

BUT, I would be concerned with the "unlikely" comment.

Personally I would investigate further asking these questions:

1) If I am not going to be assigned a cabin and ultimately bumped from the ship, how much notice will I be given?

2) What compensation will I receive for being bumped?  (some cruise lines offer additional compensation for people to willingly relinquish their cabin if they are overbooked)

3) What about my airfare that I have booked and paid for?  How will you compensate me for cancelling the air portion of my cruise?

Not sure if or how cancellation insurance might handle this.

I appreciate your potential anxiety over this.  I am sure you want a more definite answer.