Viking On Board Credit

HSBC

I booked my Viking River Cruise through a travel agency, I'll get some OBC.

Would this OBC reflect in My Viking Journey?  If yes, where can I find them?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, HSBC said:

I booked my Viking River Cruise through a travel agency, I'll get some OBC.

Would this OBC reflect in My Viking Journey?  If yes, where can I find them?

Thanks!

When you pay for optional excursions, the OBC will show up in your MVJ. IF you don't use it, it should stay there for onboard use.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Because you booked through a Travel Agency and are Canadian (this may be different in the USA) you will NOT see the OBC in MyVikingJourney (MVJ) unless you book optional excursions, pay gratuities in advance, or purchase the Silver Spirits package.

You will see the OBC on your invoice from Viking which the TA should provide to you.  Our TA applies the OBC to our booking on first call with Viking and then the invoice that comes shows the below.

Ours shows up on page 2 of the Viking Invoice and there is a box for each person:

image.png.4ea8843253a049c2e71bc35527a67703.png

NOTE:  This shows on the invoice as SBC or Ship Board Credit, but that includes OBC.  

SBC and OBC have different rules for use.

Typically OBC will be used online if you book optional excursions, buy the Silver Spirits package, or pay Gratuities in advance.  YOU can book optional excursions on your own without the TA and they require immediate payment. If you have OBC then that credit will be applied to your checkout on MVJ.

Typically SBC is different and is applied on the ship for purchases when on board.

Ask what is the difference if you have SBC and OBC or one or the other and how they can be used.

These are general statements from OUR experience.

Hope this helps.

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Thanks 2

@CDNPolar He have Viking OBC for first time on our cruise next week. We don't fancy the optional excursions and were intending using the OPC on wine more expensive than covered by the drinks package. Are you saying we cannot do this?

If we don't use the OBC this cruise do we lose it, or is it transferred to our next cruise?

1 hour ago, pontac said:

@CDNPolar He have Viking OBC for first time on our cruise next week. We don't fancy the optional excursions and were intending using the OPC on wine more expensive than covered by the drinks package. Are you saying we cannot do this?

If we don't use the OBC this cruise do we lose it, or is it transferred to our next cruise?

Let me ask you a couple of questions:

1) Is this OBC or SBC?

2) Is this from your TA or from Viking?

Not to confuse what I have said before, but OBC can be used in advance to buy things like shore excursions or SSBP or gratuities, but you can also use this on the ship if you don't buy any of these things in advance.

SBC "typically" cannot be used in advance, but only used on the ship.

Regardless, any of these credits can be used for anything onboard including bar bills, spa treatments, in the shop onboard, etc.

Typically however if you don't use an OBC for something onboard, you lose it unless your TA issues refundable credits.

Answers

1) OBC 

2) From Viking (I booked direct with Viking. The OBC was as a result of a complaint I made about the previous cruise)

The Silver Spirits package is included in the fare. As we are wine aficionados we intended using the OBC on more expensive wines not included in the package

Thanks, @CDNPolar

7 minutes ago, pontac said:

Answers

1) OBC 

2) From Viking (I booked direct with Viking. The OBC was as a result of a complaint I made about the previous cruise)

The Silver Spirits package is included in the fare. As we are wine aficionados we intended using the OBC on more expensive wines not included in the package

Thanks, @CDNPolar

We have in the past received OBC from Viking also due to a complaint and we were told by tellus that it could only be spent on the ship, and for any cost we incur onboard.

I think that you are fine.  Just ensure to spend it all.

4 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Because you booked through a Travel Agency and are Canadian (this may be different in the USA) you will NOT see the OBC in MyVikingJourney (MVJ) unless you book optional excursions, pay gratuities in advance, or purchase the Silver Spirits package.

You will see the OBC on your invoice from Viking which the TA should provide to you.  Our TA applies the OBC to our booking on first call with Viking and then the invoice that comes shows the below.

Ours shows up on page 2 of the Viking Invoice and there is a box for each person:

image.png.4ea8843253a049c2e71bc35527a67703.png

NOTE:  This shows on the invoice as SBC or Ship Board Credit, but that includes OBC.  

SBC and OBC have different rules for use.

Typically OBC will be used online if you book optional excursions, buy the Silver Spirits package, or pay Gratuities in advance.  YOU can book optional excursions on your own without the TA and they require immediate payment. If you have OBC then that credit will be applied to your checkout on MVJ.

Typically SBC is different and is applied on the ship for purchases when on board.

Ask what is the difference if you have SBC and OBC or one or the other and how they can be used.

These are general statements from OUR experience.

Hope this helps.

CDNPolar,

Both OBC and SBC can be used to pay for the compulsory daily gratitude after boarding the ship, Right?

Thanks again!

7 minutes ago, HSBC said:

CDNPolar,

Both OBC and SBC can be used to pay for the compulsory daily gratitude after boarding the ship, Right?

Thanks again!

The tipping is suggested, not compulsory--the suggested tip is added to your bill, but you are free to change the number.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

The tipping is suggested, not compulsory--the suggested tip is added to your bill, but you are free to change the number.

Either OBC or SBC can be paid for the suggested tip after boarding the ship, Right?

Does this suggested tip add to my bill daily (same as other ocean cruise)?

Thanks!

35 minutes ago, HSBC said:

Either OBC or SBC can be paid for the suggested tip after boarding the ship, Right?

Does this suggested tip add to my bill daily (same as other ocean cruise)?

Thanks!

It's been 4+ years, but I believe the tip shows up as a lump sum, not daily entries.  It's listed as a lump sum that can be paid in advance on MVJ.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, HSBC said:

CDNPolar,

Thanks again!

Yes - that is my understanding.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

It's been 4+ years, but I believe the tip shows up as a lump sum, not daily entries.  It's listed as a lump sum that can be paid in advance on MVJ.

The tip/gratuity is a lump sum that is added the day before disembarkation.  If you have OBC on your account it will reduce the gratuity owing.  This you will see on your account on the cabin tv.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

We have OBC from Viking for both sections of our double river cruise. Will any unused OBC from the first cruise transfer to the second? (Provence and the Rhineland cruise)

No - I don't believe so.  OBC must be used or lost.

The only exception is if this is OBC from a TA that is refundable.

If Viking issued it then it must be used.

Our TA gives us $200 per person OBC and if we don't use it then it is lost too.

3 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

They are consecutive cruises and part of a single trip run by Viking. It just involves two ships one after the other.

You will have to ask Viking about this.  This will entail the financial side of each ship.  Whether a credit will transfer from one ship to the other is at question here.  You will have to ask, but get their answer in writing.  Write to tellus@vikingcruises.com - they will call you, but then ask for confirmation of what they tell you in writing.

We booked a river cruise only 2 weeks before departure.  The ship right after booking was swapped out for a different ship.  When we boarded they had none of our pre-paid excursion information or OBC information.  We had to visit the guest service desk several times to get that worked out.  

How annoying @CDNPolar. Glad it got sorted. We're actually not that bothered about OBC and were surprised to receive so much each and for each leg of the trip. Tips etc are included and we're quite happy with the included excursions. With drinks included at meals I doubt we could consume enough alcohol to eat up all the OBC. Oh what a terrible problem!!

16 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

How annoying @CDNPolar. Glad it got sorted. We're actually not that bothered about OBC and were surprised to receive so much each and for each leg of the trip. Tips etc are included and we're quite happy with the included excursions. With drinks included at meals I doubt we could consume enough alcohol to eat up all the OBC. Oh what a terrible problem!!

Well, even on the river ships, there is a small store across from guest services.  Buy a jacket or two, or a pendant.  Spend the money on small items in the store to take home with you to loved ones.

Even if you are pleased with the included wines, you could buy a bottle or two of wine to share with your table at dinner.

We buy wine on shore and share with our dinner table, but if we had excess OBC we would buy bottles on the ship and share them instead.

I hate to see "Free Money" go to waste.

2 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

With drinks included at meals I doubt we could consume enough alcohol to eat up all the OBC

If, as you presumably did, you booked with UK Viking then you'll have got the drinks package. That means you could have any drink from the drinks menu that is not asterisked. The wines served to everyone with lunches and dinners are good, but even better is to peruse the wine list to select a bottle of your choice. And have a glass of Champagne for an aperitif.

We were intending using our OBC to buy asterisked bottles.

17 hours ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

I'm more likely to try cocktails I think. Not something we ever have at home. Obviously, I've been thinking hard about how to get through the dratted OBC!

Sit at the bar in the Explorer Lounge or in the Living Room and get to know the bartenders.  We have had bartenders make some incredible concoctions for us that were their own recipes.  Tell them sweet, sour, or whatever your preference and let them take care of you.

• Like 2

Will do @CDNPolar. On our last river cruise there was a cocktail session. Lots of different kinds were made and we could try as many as we wanted. This meant I tried some I'd never have had before. However, I'm just not a big drinker so could only manage an Amaretto Sour and a Margarita. Dinner was bit of a blur after that!

22 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Will do @CDNPolar. On our last river cruise there was a cocktail session. Lots of different kinds were made and we could try as many as we wanted. This meant I tried some I'd never have had before. However, I'm just not a big drinker so could only manage an Amaretto Sour and a Margarita. Dinner was bit of a blur after that!

We had a bartender on an Ocean cruise that because we were on the SSBP offered us a Gin tasting and ran us through the different Gins one at a time.  

I have heard of others that have had informal tastings at the bar.  Not every bartender will do it, but you can ask.

Have fun!  

• Like 1