How to find Arrival and Departure times at ports?

BrisbaneR

I'm greatly looking forward to my  QA cruise in the Norwegian Fjords in June and am wanting to book some excursions. However, I can't find the arrival and departure times in the ports. The Cunard website seems to give approximations only. However, I can find specific times on websites like Venture Ashore and Shore Excursions e.g. for the visit to Bergen on June 25, Cunard simply says...Arrive early afternoon, Depart early evening. The other websites say... Arrive 1.30pm, Depart 8pm. I'm not sure what to believe and this makes it tricky to book independent tours that start later in the day.

I am wondering if I have missed something on the Cunard website that will indicate more specific times? Perhaps it is not their policy to do this, or perhaps I haven't clicked the right button. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

Carnival UK have adopted this nonsensical port timings system for several years now - why I have no idea when they clearly know what the expected times are as ports are booked years out. Quite often if you check the actual port timetables you can find the timings.

I would not worry too much about booking your own excursions at ports as the companies running those excursions are well versed in dealing with port times.

There is a theory that by being somewhat vague about port times it will encourage passengers to book the cruise line excursions as opposed to going independently.

3 hours ago, BrisbaneR said:

I'm greatly looking forward to my  QA cruise in the Norwegian Fjords in June and am wanting to book some excursions. However, I can't find the arrival and departure times in the ports. The Cunard website seems to give approximations only. However, I can find specific times on websites like Venture Ashore and Shore Excursions e.g. for the visit to Bergen on June 25, Cunard simply says...Arrive early afternoon, Depart early evening. The other websites say... Arrive 1.30pm, Depart 8pm. I'm not sure what to believe and this makes it tricky to book independent tours that start later in the day.

I am wondering if I have missed something on the Cunard website that will indicate more specific times? Perhaps it is not their policy to do this, or perhaps I haven't clicked the right button. Can anyone advise?

Thanks!

https://www.cunardcruceros.com/cunard/searcher.html   Spanish Cunard WS

find your cruise English option  

click on map  popup appears with times

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies. I'm more confident now that I can book independent tours and make the ship's departure times. But I'll check the port times when I board QA, just to make sure. 

On 3/23/2024 at 5:00 AM, BrisbaneR said:

Thanks!

No times on website...

Yes the Bergen arrival is very disappointing though I guess it's the best the ship can reasonably do. Will probably wait until we arrive and look at the weather and go up funicular or cable car.

Flam train is already booked (independently) - I think we arrive at 7:30 according to Flam website.

What to do in Olden?  Glacier or skylift? can these be done independently as the latter is $144 a head...presumably for a coach and a return cable car trip?

45 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

No times on website...

Yes the Bergen arrival is very disappointing though I guess it's the best the ship can reasonably do. Will probably wait until we arrive and look at the weather and go up funicular or cable car.

Flam train is already booked (independently) - I think we arrive at 7:30 according to Flam website.

What to do in Olden?  Glacier or skylift? can these be done independently as the latter is $144 a head...presumably for a coach and a return cable car trip?

The Briksdal glacier has reteated a great deal since I first saw it in 1971..

3 minutes ago, sogne said:

The Briksdal glacier has reteated a great deal since I first saw it in 1971..

I bet it has. I've skied on glaciers so it may not be that exciting?

The skylift looks expensive (and not sure the OH will like it - cable cars don't faze me - but the view looks amazing) - can it be done independently? How far is it from where the QA will dock?

2 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

@sogne can you do both in a day?

Looks to be lots of options in Olden

depends timing of glacier trip 

bus to Loen 10 minutes wait at sky lift bdepends on cruise groups etc 

according to mY VP Cunard glacier tour has 0930, 1130 and 1330

could probably be done if you choose first or third glacier tour

independent tours go frequently