Stingray City - ship excursion

ColdCruise

Hi, we recently finished a 14 island cruise with NCL. Since we booked rather late, finding independent excursions was difficult. Antigua wasn’t on the original itinerary, but replaced St Martinique mid-December.

On Antigua we took the NCL excursion to Stingray City. It was (of course) pricey that way and at the beach we were also joined by people who did arrive independently. 

had a great time snorkeling with the stingrays and a ton of people…some of whom obviously never snorkeled before. However most people clustered around the guides, so if you kept from the mob it was pretty decent. 

Details
We boarded minivans which convoyed from the ship to the beach, about a 20-30 minute drive.

At the venue, you get a briefing and get kitted out with mask and snorkel (no fins or water shoes allowed in the water with the rays) before boarding a catamaran (a few people were on smaller boats) for about a 15 minute ride out to a sand bar. The water at the site is between 4-4.5 feet. I’m 5’5” and could comfortably stand on the sand with my head and top of shoulders out of the water,

you have about 45 minutes in the water. They feed the stingrays so they know to come when the boat arrives. As far as I could see they are not captive but I’m not 100% sure how they keep the bigger males away if that’s totally true. I meant to ask…

anyways, I had a great time snorkeling away from the masses and still saw a lot of stingrays sail by, a few bumping against me. Also there were quite a few fish, interesting ones and some plain ones. Near the end I was still in the water as most people left and was talking to one of the guides. He was holding a ray and it looked like it was “kissing” him. I was asking him a lot of questions, petting the ray (top & bottom feel very different) then ended up holding her for 10-15 minutes. It was extremely surreal as she was just chilling in my outstretched arms (all 45-55 lbs of her) and we were communing about life - just kidding but it was very relaxing and she wasn’t trying to get away, just laying in my arms. 

On a practical point, one of the guides said they only take about half the people now compared before COVID. They used to have 2 platforms and only use 1. I still think there were around 75-125 people there.hard to tell cuz the transportation from the ship was a series of minibuses (15 pax?)

I would recommend this, but suggest trying to book directly or with a local so more money stays on the island. You will probably save some cash as well - our excursion was about $170 from the ship.

11 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

They feed the stingrays so they know to come when the boat arrives. As far as I could see they are not captive but I’m not 100% sure how they keep the bigger males away if that’s totally true.

The stingrays are free, not captive at all.  The guides told me that on days with no tourists they still go out and feed them anyway.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

@PORT ROYAL still a heck of a lot less than $170pp!

@Fairgarth thanks - I thought that’s what the guides said (not captive). Nice to hear they feed them even if not offering tours every day.

definitely that was a highlight of our cruise!

Note to self… next visit - $170 gets - https://adventureantigua.com/activities/the-xtreme-circumnav/

- which includes the visit to Stingray, Sightseeing, Lunch, drinks etc., etc.,

Edited by PORT ROYAL
Etc
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2024 at 8:07 AM, PORT ROYAL said:

Note to self… next visit - $170 gets - https://adventureantigua.com/activities/the-xtreme-circumnav/

- which includes the visit to Stingray, Sightseeing, Lunch, drinks etc., etc.,

@PORT ROYAL   YES!

Alas and unfortunately, they were fully booked. We booked the cruise rather late & all the most highly recommended activities were full in most ports.

Our next Caribbean cruise hits St Thomas & Sint Marten ….any recommendations? Its early December so I have to get booking!

Edited by ColdCruise

8 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

@PORT ROYAL   YES!

Alas and unfortunately, they were fully booked. We booked the cruise rather late & all the most highly recommended activities were full in most ports.

Our next Caribbean cruise hits St Thomas & Sint Marten ….any recommendations? Its early December so I have to get booking!

SM -

https://www.12metre.com

Captain Bob - Speedboat tour, snorkelling, lunch etc.

ST -

https://usvisharkdiving.com/about-us/

• 3 weeks later...

Stingray City was one of the included / no fee excursions on our Regent cruise at the beginning of this month.

I found the platform difficult to balance on, but guides were very helpful. 

The water was churned up and silty because most passengers stood, clustered around the back of the ship because guides were feeding the rays and taking photos.  Snorkeling just a short distance away really increased visibility.  Plus, I'm short and could barely touch the bottom with my tippy toes!