Celebrity Millenium Japan

gtsing1311

Our cruise departs Yokogawa 21st April 2024: alarmed at the cost of shore excursions even with external third party private tours: has anyone used Hop On Hop Off bus (HOHO) at any Japan ports? Particularly interested in a Kyoto tour, also ports Kagoshima and Hiroshima.  In Europe often the HOHO buses line up at the cruise terminals - is this the same in Japan?

I did the Celebrity Millennium Japan a few years ago.  We didn't use any HOHO buses but didn't do any ship excursions either as it is so easy to do your own trips there.  It is safe and clean, everyone is very polite and helpful and the train system is fabulous.  We mostly took trains to where we wanted to go and a taxi once when we wanted to go back to the ship.  I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat.  We had a great time.

• Like 2

Ship excursions are usually expensive but these 2024 ones are actually prohibitive.  I'm looking at off-ship tours, still pricey but not as much as the ship and private or smaller groups.

I was originally booked on Princess for Japan 2025. Not only are the prices even worse than Celebrity but many were already booked out, 12 months in advance. 

5 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I did the Celebrity Millennium Japan a few years ago.  We didn't use any HOHO buses but didn't do any ship excursions either as it is so easy to do your own trips there.  It is safe and clean, everyone is very polite and helpful and the train system is fabulous.  We mostly took trains to where we wanted to go and a taxi once when we wanted to go back to the ship.  I would do this cruise again in a heartbeat.  We had a great time.

Thank you for posting your experience doing your own day trips.  We are on the b2b this coming October & we also like to do our own thing and avoid ship tours.  If you are willing to give any other information or advice for navigating on your own, it would be greatly appreciated! I am trying to figure out if we should book our hotel pre-cruise in Tokyo (we fly into Narita and arrive at 4pm), or book a hotel in Yokohama closer to the ship pier. Anyways, any info you can share would be great!  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gtsing1311 said:

Ship excursions are usually expensive but these 2024 ones are actually prohibitive.  I'm looking at off-ship tours, still pricey but not as much as the ship and private or smaller groups.

We are on the May 2nd sailing of Millennium and are using OBC to pay for Celebrity sponsored shore excursions.   I do not see them as being cost prohibitive even though I am using OBC.  

Our Kyoto tour is a 10 hour tour, 3 of which are on the ride to/from Kyoto but was under $300 with the 40% discount we booked it at.  The other four tours we are taking are similar.  

On 3/26/2024 at 1:48 AM, debfed65 said:

Thank you for posting your experience doing your own day trips.  We are on the b2b this coming October & we also like to do our own thing and avoid ship tours.  If you are willing to give any other information or advice for navigating on your own, it would be greatly appreciated! I am trying to figure out if we should book our hotel pre-cruise in Tokyo (we fly into Narita and arrive at 4pm), or book a hotel in Yokohama closer to the ship pier. Anyways, any info you can share would be great!  

Our cruise was in 2017 so that was a few years ago but I am happy to share what we did and what we liked and didn't like.  I'm not sure if the ports are the same.

3 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Our cruise was in 2017 so that was a few years ago but I am happy to share what we did and what we liked and didn't like.  I'm not sure if the ports are the same.

Hi I'm sure the ports are very much the same.  Currently drawing a blank on onshore options as all the tour companies are fully booked.  Ships excursions are expensive but I'll likely end up booking one or two as otherwise won't get to see much.

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 9:09 PM, gtsing1311 said:

Hi I'm sure the ports are very much the same.  Currently drawing a blank on onshore options as all the tour companies are fully booked.  Ships excursions are expensive but I'll likely end up booking one or two as otherwise won't get to see much.

I had a quick look at your itinerary.  Actually, most of the ports are different, but I'll tell you what we did on the ones that are the same.  I realised that I said that we didn't do any ship excursions but that's not true.  We did do one in Shimizu and one in Nagasaki.

Not sure if you are staying pre or post cruise.  We spent a couple of nights in Tokyo and did a great cycle tour.

I see you are staying in Kobe overnight.  We did the same.  The train station in Kobe was within walking distance of the cruise ship.  On the first day, we took a train to Himeji and went to Himeji castle.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himeji_Castle It is a UNESCO world heritage site and I just really wanted to see it.  As I recall the train took about an hour and it is an easy walk to the castle from the station.   There are also very pretty gardens nearby.  We did this on the first day because we figured that if we were delayed, the ship would still be there and we wouldn't get left behind.

On Day 2, we took a train to the Nada district of Kobe, as it is known for it's sake breweries. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3556.html. We took a self guided walking map to visit the breweries.  We actually only managed to find three but it was fun and everyone was very helpful and friendly.  We then trained back into town because I wanted to try some Kobe beef.  From our Lonely Planet guide, we followed directions to a recommended gourmet burger joint, which was very funky.  Again, everyone was very friendly.  That was a bit of a walk so we were quite tired after that and headed back to the ship.  I prefer to see fewer attractions and see them well, rather than five minutes here and there.

For Nagasaki, we did do a Celebrity tour.  It was a walking tour, but also used the local trams to get about.  I learnt a lot and I would recommend it.  Note, everything we did involved some walking.

At Shimizu, we were only docked for a half day (less time that you are).  So for this we did a bus tour off the ship as we were worried about time.  It was quite frustrating as there was a lot of driving, stopping for short time, taking pictures, waiting for people to come back to the bus.  I do not recommend this tour.  The one interesting part of the tour was the visit to the original tomb of Ieyasu Tokugawa, the first shogun of Japan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunōzan_Tōshō-gū#:~:text=The Kunōzan Tōshō-gū (久能,gū shrines in the country.  If you have been watching the new adaptation of Shogun, the character of Toranaga is based on the historical figure.  If I was to visit again, I would find my own way to this tomb and not waste my time on all the other boring bus bits.

I know a lot of passengers will opt to visit Fuji but we didn't feel this was enough time on our port visit.  You have more time in port.  Also, after the cruise we went to Hakone for five days.  This is a thermal resort town close to Fuji, so we had the option to visit then.

We did not visit Hiroshima, Kagoshima, Jeju or Osaka (but I had been to Osaka before).  Instead we went to Busan, Aomori,  and Kochi.  So, sorry I can't be of more assistance with those other ports.

Edited by onlyslightlymad

10 hours ago, onlyslightlymad said:

I had a quick look at your itinerary.  Actually, most of the ports are different, but I'll tell you what we did on the ones that are the same.  I realised that I said that we didn't do any ship excursions but that's not true.  We did do one in Shimizu and one in Nagasaki.

Not sure if you are staying pre or post cruise.  We spent a couple of nights in Tokyo and did a great cycle tour.

I see you are staying in Kobe overnight.  We did the same.  The train station in Kobe was within walking distance of the cruise ship.  On the first day, we took a train to Himeji and went to Himeji castle.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himeji_Castle It is a UNESCO world heritage site and I just really wanted to see it.  As I recall the train took about an hour and it is an easy walk to the castle from the station.   There are also very pretty gardens nearby.  We did this on the first day because we figured that if we were delayed, the ship would still be there and we wouldn't get left behind.

On Day 2, we took a train to the Nada district of Kobe, as it is known for it's sake breweries. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3556.html. We took a self guided walking map to visit the breweries.  We actually only managed to find three but it was fun and everyone was very helpful and friendly.  We then trained back into town because I wanted to try some Kobe beef.  From our Lonely Planet guide, we followed directions to a recommended gourmet burger joint, which was very funky.  Again, everyone was very friendly.  That was a bit of a walk so we were quite tired after that and headed back to the ship.  I prefer to see fewer attractions and see them well, rather than five minutes here and there.

For Nagasaki, we did do a Celebrity tour.  It was a walking tour, but also used the local trams to get about.  I learnt a lot and I would recommend it.  Note, everything we did involved some walking.

At Shimizu, we were only docked for a half day (less time that you are).  So for this we did a bus tour off the ship as we were worried about time.  It was quite frustrating as there was a lot of driving, stopping for short time, taking pictures, waiting for people to come back to the bus.  I do not recommend this tour.  The one interesting part of the tour was the visit to the original tomb of Ieyasu Tokugawa, the first shogun of Japan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kunōzan_Tōshō-gū#:~:text=The Kunōzan Tōshō-gū (久能,gū shrines in the country.  If you have been watching the new adaptation of Shogun, the character of Toranaga is based on the historical figure.  If I was to visit again, I would find my own way to this tomb and not waste my time on all the other boring bus bits.

I know a lot of passengers will opt to visit Fuji but we didn't feel this was enough time on our port visit.  You have more time in port.  Also, after the cruise we went to Hakone for five days.  This is a thermal resort town close to Fuji, so we had the option to visit then.

We did not visit Hiroshima, Kagoshima, Jeju or Osaka (but I had been to Osaka before).  Instead we went to Busan, Aomori,  and Kochi.  So, sorry I can't be of more assistance with those other ports.

This is REALLY helpful!  thank you.  We're spending 3 full days in Tokyo prior to boarding.  Just flummoxed by the cost/logistics of the off-ship activities and a bit hesitant to spend the $ as husband had an accident (on our own boat!) and has some temporary mobility problems, fingers crossed he'll be fit enough to do the required walking by then.  I too am put off by the long bus trips, as you say, too short on the sight-seeing, too heavy on the transport.  I'll print off your document and use it to make our plans this weekend. Thanks again.

12 hours ago, gtsing1311 said:

This is REALLY helpful!  thank you.  We're spending 3 full days in Tokyo prior to boarding.  Just flummoxed by the cost/logistics of the off-ship activities and a bit hesitant to spend the $ as husband had an accident (on our own boat!) and has some temporary mobility problems, fingers crossed he'll be fit enough to do the required walking by then.  I too am put off by the long bus trips, as you say, too short on the sight-seeing, too heavy on the transport.  I'll print off your document and use it to make our plans this weekend. Thanks again.

No problem, I hope you have fun.  I really like Japan and can't wait to visit again.

Just back from our cruise on the Millennium.  We arranged tours at a couple of ports using Viatour and ToursByLocals as intermediaries.   If you are taking a tour where you meet the guide and use a combination of public transportation and walking the expense is much more manageable than booking one of the ship excursions.   However, because a tour guide cannot drive you, you will need to pay for both a driver and a guide if using private transportation.   Both of our guides were extremely knowledgeable, arranged great lunches for us and kept us from being stuck in crowds.   

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 8:48 AM, debfed65 said:

! I am trying to figure out if we should book our hotel pre-cruise in Tokyo (we fly into Narita and arrive at 4pm), or book a hotel in Yokohama closer to the ship pier

I would say that it depends on how many days prior to sailing you are arriving.  If you are arriving at 4 PM the day before you embark on the cruise, I would recommend you stay in Yokohama.  Get the trip from Narita, which is an hour or so outside of Tokyo out of the way that way you are not having to deal with getting from Tokyo to the ship the morning of embarkation.  On the other hand, if you are arriving a couple of days ahead of embarkation and have never been to Tokyo before, I would suggest you stay in Tokyo and it's an amazing city with lots to see. 

7 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

I would say that it depends on how many days prior to sailing you are arriving.  If you are arriving at 4 PM the day before you embark on the cruise, I would recommend you stay in Yokohama.  Get the trip from Narita, which is an hour or so outside of Tokyo out of the way that way you are not having to deal with getting from Tokyo to the ship the morning of embarkation.  On the other hand, if you are arriving a couple of days ahead of embarkation and have never been to Tokyo before, I would suggest you stay in Tokyo and it's an amazing city with lots to see. 

Thank you DaKahuna. We will be arriving two days pre-cruise & have never been to Tokyo so I agree that is probably the better option.  We are doing the b2b so we will also have turnaround day to go into Tokyo again, or just stay in Yokahama.  Thanks again! 

2 hours ago, debfed65 said:

Thank you DaKahuna. We will be arriving two days pre-cruise & have never been to Tokyo so I agree that is probably the better option.  We are doing the b2b so we will also have turnaround day to go into Tokyo again, or just stay in Yokahama.  Thanks again! 

One day is not a lot of time to visit Tokyo but you can get in some sights.  I'd recommend the Imperial Palace, Tokyo Tower or SkyTree, the National Diet Building, and just talking around in Shinjaku Shimokitazawa, or Shibuya. 

I am not sure going to Tokyo on turn around day would be a good idea.  It's too short a period of time. I'd suggest staying in Yokohama and visiting, weather permitting, the park near the cruise terminal, Yokohama China Town, or even going to Yokohama Station and touring all the shops in the train station (and the adjacent department stores).  

On 3/29/2024 at 5:13 PM, onlyslightlymad said:

Hello, I would be interested in finding out more about  Busan and Aomori as we will be visiting these ones on our June 8 cruise to Japan.

22 hours ago, XSYTD said:

Hello, I would be interested in finding out more about  Busan and Aomori as we will be visiting these ones on our June 8 cruise to Japan.

We’re going in six weeks.  In Aomori, we’re just taking a train to Hirasaku and going to the castle.  Busan looks great.  We hired a driver to do the classics on the coast.  Expensive, so sharing it with two other couples.

We have been to Japan a few times, not on Millennium, but other cruises instead. If you are interested, click on my signature below for blog posts or videos that may be helpful. 

On 4/1/2024 at 3:51 PM, debfed65 said:

Is it hard to find the pier where Millennium is docked?  My cruise begins 5/27/24

On 3/31/2024 at 6:01 PM, papadave said:

Just back from our cruise on the Millennium.  We arranged tours at a couple of ports using Viatour and ToursByLocals as intermediaries.   If you are taking a tour where you meet the guide and use a combination of public transportation and walking the expense is much more manageable than booking one of the ship excursions.   However, because a tour guide cannot drive you, you will need to pay for both a driver and a guide if using private transportation.   Both of our guides were extremely knowledgeable, arranged great lunches for us and kept us from being stuck in crowds.   

Can you give me an idea of tour cost?

I am solo and would like to see Kyoto.  Was it hard to find the guide at the cruise port?

Did you have a Japanese sim card or a plan that allowed you to use your phone?

8 hours ago, CrispenFairchild said:

Is it hard to find the pier where Millennium is docked?  My cruise begins 5/27/24

I have never been to Yokohama so I cannot help you.  We are on board Millennium this October.  

DaKahuna should be able to answer this question and have helped me with a few of my questions.  Maybe try reaching out that way.  Enjoy your cruise! 

12 hours ago, CrispenFairchild said:

image.thumb.png.e696e24c891881388f27b32335b9e3b6.png

From Yokohama Port Authority: Osanbashi Cruise Terminal in Yokohama.  

• Like 1