Thoughts on the Gem

Posted (edited)

Just got off the Gem on Friday 7th June.

Regarding the entertainment, whilst we were onboard we saw a Whitney Houston GCI show called Whitney Houston-Everlasting.

Not really being a great Whitney fan and also being sceptical of a hologram style show, I wondered if I would enjoy it. 

Apparently it was the first time the production had been shown, whether that was just on the Gem or NCL, I wasn't sure.

It was quoted in the dailies as..... ''An unforgettable performance where Whitney Houston's extraordinary vocal tracks from her original master recordings are brought to life in a beautiful production. Combining advanced digital GCI technology and a sensational live band and performers, this is the only live show approved by the Whitney Houston Estate.''

The show was very good and played to a packed house where it was well received.

Edited by redlock
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, redlock said:

Regarding the entertainment, whilst we were onboard we saw a Whitney Houston GCI show called Whitney Houston-Everlasting.

Not really being a great Whitney fan and also being sceptical of a hologram style show, I wondered if I would enjoy it. 

Apparently it was the first time the production had been shown, whether that was just on the Gem or NCL, I wasn't sure.

It was quoted in the dailies as..... ''An unforgettable performance where Whitney Houston's extraordinary vocal tracks from her original master recordings are brought to life in a beautiful production. Combining advanced digital GCI technology and a sensational live band and performers, this is the only live show approved by the Whitney Houston Estate.''

This exact show is on a Holland of America ship and people were trashing it.  I have not seen it but there is a video youtube about it. I suppose its fairly inexpensive to do.  Its only her head that is the projected hologram?   The arms and body are of a real person?

5 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

This exact show is on a Holland of America ship and people were trashing it.  I have not seen it but there is a video youtube about it. I suppose its fairly inexpensive to do.  Its only her head that is the projected hologram?   The arms and body are of a real person?

I suppose I went with fairly low expectations of the show so it was better than I thought.

Whitney aside, the (real) backing singers/dancers and the band were great.

Like I say, im no fan, but I was quite interested in the concept and how it worked.

But when it comes to music, I'll stick to the real Bruce Springsteen at Wembley next month.

6 hours ago, redlock said:

It was somewhat of a surprise show for me. I like Whitney Houston's music and found the method of delivery interesting.

My husband just wanted to get out of the theater. (That probably was more because a couple nearby arguing than about the show).😒

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

What did Whitney Houston replace? Did they still have Blazing Boots and Get Down Tonight?

We are on the August 9 sailing and they are still showing Blazing Boots and Get Down Tonight.

26 minutes ago, AmbitionatBay said:

We are on the August 9 sailing and they are still showing Blazing Boots and Get Down Tonight.

?? It’s not August yet. I’m going in July. The app still shows those 2 shows and does not list Whitney Houston. 
So we know the app is wrong in not listing Whitney. The question is whether they have all 3 shows, or if Whitney is replacing something. 

8 hours ago, havoc315 said:

What did Whitney Houston replace? Did they still have Blazing Boots and Get Down Tonight?

We also saw Blazing Boots, so that was still on.

I think Get Down Tonight was still showing as well, although I cant be certain.

We just got off the Gem on June 7, and we did attend the Whitney Houston show.  While I am a fan, after 3 or 4 songs, both of us wanted to leave.  We did stay for about 45 minutes of the show though.  

19 hours ago, havoc315 said:

?? It’s not August yet. I’m going in July. The app still shows those 2 shows and does not list Whitney Houston. 
So we know the app is wrong in not listing Whitney. The question is whether they have all 3 shows, or if Whitney is replacing something. 

They had all 3 shows last week.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2024 at 11:14 AM, redlock said:

I was on this cruise and thought the Whitney show was good. Sitting in the balcony helps as one can hear everything but can't tell how good the CGI is. The backup singers and the band played well against the legacy vocal tracks. I was concerned that it was replacing Get Down Tonight. After seeing Get Down Tonight I wished it did. IMO that show was trash and I trashed it in the survey. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1