Skagway-DIY Jeep Tour

rdhed

Hi,

Has anyone done the DIY Jeep tour either booked independently or through princess or a shore excursion website recently(like last AK cruise season)? Still trying to decide what to do in Skagway and the clock is ticking- was looking at the train/bus combo from Chilkoot that goes to Emerald lake but we all seem kinda meh about it. Considering the Jeep or car rental so we can see what we want on our own schedule. Thank you!

Yes, we did this. We have also just rented cars from Avis. No matter how you do it, driving yourself in Skagway is always worth it to explore the Yukon highway at your own pace and also drive to Dyea. It included a very nice boxed lunch which we appreciated as well as a binder with suggestions for places to visit and directions which is especially helpful if you are a first time visitor. 

4 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Yes, we did this. We have also just rented cars from Avis. No matter how you do it, driving yourself in Skagway is always worth it to explore the Yukon highway at your own pace and also drive to Dyea. It included a very nice boxed lunch which we appreciated as well as a binder with suggestions for places to visit and directions which is especially helpful if you are a first time visitor. 

We did the DIY Jeep too on our last cruise to Alaska.  We have another one rented for our trip in June.  I don't think they offer the boxed lunch anymore -- we got that on our last rental but now I think it says you're welcome to pick up picnic supplies from the local grocery or cafe.  Also now I believe there's an interactive guide (tablet/gps?) instead of the binder with instructions.  

We highly recommend renting on your own and not using the ship's option just because you get the rental all day vs just a few hours with the ship option.  Just make sure you take your passport so you can drive to the Yukon and pass back over the border.  There are so many things to stop and see on your own.  It's one of our favorite memories and we can't wait to do it again!

• Like 1

I have done all the above in Skagway (though not a Jeep but a car from Avis). Train RT, Train and Van combo, renting a car, etc....

For the first time, I do like the Chilkoot combo tour because the train is historic and the views are different than when taking the road. Chilkoot does a great job. After saying that - the car/jeep option is great if you want to go at your own pace. The area is so gorgeous. I think you will have fun with Chilkoot or if you go on your own.