Slendor, PR to Miami.

18 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

If a port change or elimination happens in the course of a cruise, it is usually easy for guests to learn the reason why — and it is usually weather and rough seas. But recently, on a Grandeur cruise of Pacific Mexico and Central America a good number of ports were skipped in fair weather. The guests were not told a reason. There was speculation that the ports were unable to offer this ship an electrical hook up, which Regent prefers to have to reduce fuel consumption and pollution. But since ships can and do generate their own electricity in these and many ports, this would be a poor excuse for missing ports. 

Actually, we were on the cruise immediately after the one you are referring to.  And the reasons were clear.  Nicaragua was cancelled due to political uprisings (this was done on our cruise too).  Acapulco was cancelled because of a hurricane that pretty much wiped out the city a month before (this was cancelled on our cruise too).  And Cabo and Ensenada were cancelled and substituted with Puerto Vallarta and an overnight in Los Angeles.  This was done so that the ship could be in LA a day early.  Grandeur has an ability to hook up electrically to the port and completely shut down their engines for environmental reasons that will become a requirement in ports like LA.  The "mechanism" for this hook up was not completed before her first sailing so they had to do the work in LA and finish it, thus the extra night in LA.  It was pretty clearly laid out in the letter posted on an earlier thread here.  So, in fact, the guests WERE told the reasons. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Actually, we were on the cruise immediately after the one you are referring to.  And the reasons were clear.  Nicaragua was cancelled due to political uprisings (this was done on our cruise too).  Acapulco was cancelled because of a hurricane that pretty much wiped out the city a month before (this was cancelled on our cruise too).  And Cabo and Ensenada were cancelled and substituted with Puerto Vallarta and an overnight in Los Angeles.  This was done so that the ship could be in LA a day early.  Grandeur has an ability to hook up electrically to the port and completely shut down their engines for environmental reasons that will become a requirement in ports like LA.  The "mechanism" for this hook up was not completed before her first sailing so they had to do the work in LA and finish it, thus the extra night in LA.  It was pretty clearly laid out in the letter posted on an earlier thread here.  So, in fact, the guests WERE told the reasons. 

So, if I understand correctly... are you saying that the letter that Regent provided to guests gave a specific reason for each port's cancellation...including the Nicaragua port visit being missed "due to political uprisings?"

20 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

So, if I understand correctly... are you saying that the letter that Regent provided to guests gave a specific reason for each port's cancellation...including the Nicaragua port visit being missed "due to political uprisings?"

No.  The letter that people got on the cruise before us was posted on a thread here.  As I remember it specifically described the addition of the shore power mechanism.  But, the cancellation of Nicaragua was 3 months before the cruise and stated "Due to current restrictions imposed on cruises into Nicaragua."  I am just "internet savvy" enough to take about 30 seconds out of my day and see what is going on in Nicaragua and there was an Embassy alert for "political uprising" (or something similar) so I just and saw the travel advisory (it was really for unfair treatment of foreigners or something like that).  So I simply assumed that was the reason. But further research (just a couple of minutes ago) said that last year Nicaragua closed for cruise ships. "Political uprising" was my term only because I actually didn't remember the wording of an email I received about 6 months or so ago a port I didn't care about, for a great cruise I completed 4 months ago. 

As for Acapulco, it wasn't much of a mystery.  They were hit with a major hurricane in late Nov./early Dec. that destroyed the city.  Mexico has spent Billions trying to get the infrastructure back up and the city open. So no surprise, nor explanation, needed there. 

• Like 1