Changes Coming to Plus/Premier Packages?

On 3/29/2024 at 5:10 PM, memoak said:

Unlimited speciality dinners would max out every venue and have a lot of unhappy people

On 3/29/2024 at 5:53 PM, cyndyga said:

With all the people that have the Plus and Premiere package they couldn't do unlimited specialty dining without limiting the amount of Plus/Premiere packages...no way with the limited venues they could fit that inclusion...

On 3/29/2024 at 6:13 PM, PacnGoNow said:

Exactly my thoughts.  You would never get a reservation at a SD.

On 3/29/2024 at 6:23 PM, memoak said:

And then we would all be asking for refunds. They may cave in and give a few extra meals on longer cruises but if you add unlimited casual to plus packages it would take things back to having hour long waits to get into Alfredo’s 

On 3/29/2024 at 6:37 PM, Thrak said:

Unlimited Specialty Dining = Disaster. What a horrendously stupid idea.

They could just turn one MDR Into a SD location since so many guests would be looking for their "free" meal.  That leads me to concur with @Thrak's assessment.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 7:29 PM, jeromep said:

Having studied marketing research, and worked in organizations that have used marketing research for decision making, a survey doesn't necessarily mean that something is coming.  And if something is coming, it doesn't mean soon.  Marketing research is about answering questions.  Questions usually posed by management in which there is no other way to get a meaningful answer, but to find a sample of consumers and ask them what they think.  Sometimes marketing research tells you valuable things you didn't know before, sometimes it tells you, what you want to hear, and sometimes it leaves you exactly where you started, with unanswered questions.  A skilled company knows how much to rely on marketing research and focus groups and when to not follow the information that comes out of research.  It is an art and skill.

Princess does have to be careful, putting more comped dining into Plus and Premier means more difficulty getting reservations in specialty restaurants and those newly minted "casual dining" venues.  It also ads complexity to the on board experience.

PCL already knows the percentage of guests who book shore excursions with them.  It should follow that the same percentage of guests would be interested in the shorex OBC out of those booking a package.  But it comes down to how much extra is one paying to get that OBC, doesn't it.  The survey doesn't discuss that aspect, so the results are not very meaningful IMO.

As for the SD question, unlimited SD interest might depend on the number of available options on a particular ship, but again, how much are they charging for all the extra "free" meals?  There are limited number of guest who always dine at SD.  Note that Signature guests already have their own dining venue, so it's all about the money IMO.

On 3/30/2024 at 12:37 PM, Guest Snaxmuppet said:

Edit: Just seen that is covered already - sorry 🙂 

Water and coffee doesn't count... they are unlimited. It is only alcohol that is limited to 15.

Did you lose your original account?  I recognize your handle.  Your posts are odd in that none of them allow a feedback of Thanks, Like, or Ha-Ha.  Also, no info on your membership or geo-location.  IIRC, you are from the UK somewhere.

On 4/3/2024 at 12:21 AM, nasa1974 said:

I don't disagree. But I think some do or it wouldn't be offered. 😀

I was just comparing beverage packages. I guess I should have mentioned that RCL doesn't offer a package like the Princess Plus or Princess Premium. They just offer a beverage package.

The standalone drink packages are "offered" as a marketing ploy so PCL can illustrate what a huge bargain the cruise fare packages are.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 4/3/2024 at 11:32 AM, memoak said:

The only circumstance where a beverage only plan would be useful is if you drink and your cabin mate won’t pay for the package 

And even that can be refuted as long as you want Internet and pay the CA.  Cabinmate also has to pay CA and may also want Internet.  Even with just CA, you may as well book Plus Cruise Fare and pay cabinmate $43/day (Plus, less CA).  Your cost would be $113/day.  With standalone, your cost is $115, unless get Internet discount (which I am sure you do).  Surely cabinmate will consume at least some non-alcoholic beverages.  

ETA:  Of course it is also worthwhile considering the CD offer and Ocean Now if it might be used.  We don't, so I overlooked.  Just the basics, I would seriously look at forcing the Plus fare if it means value to one person as I think it will work out better to recompense the cabinmate for a differential between $60 and their actual a la carte costs in most circumstances.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2024 at 3:24 PM, jagoffee said:

I can see where someone might make that decision.   The Plus Beverage package is $76.90 per day for one person.  The Plus bundle would be $120 a day for two people.  The difference is only $43.10 a day for two people.  But I understand your point.  

But the cabinmate ought to be paying CA of $17/day, so reduced again.  Also, do they want internet.  And, do they drink non-alcohol?  Best to both get the Plus and first person pays the other person part of the package cost ($60 less what they actually spend a la carte).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mary loves to travel said:

But, you’re exactly getting your wish!   Australians indeed have the “better base wages” included in the actual price of the cruise and there is no gratuity charged onboard.  
😊

We certainly do get charged the onboard gratuity. We have to nominate to not be charged. 

At the end of the day. We all love cruising. If you can't afford the day to day things then don't go cruising. All cruise lines have massive debts to repay due to inactivity during covid. Especially with cruise numbers up these days, prices will continue to increase because they can. 

Land travel through Europe for example has sky rocketed too. Reality is that prices will continue to increase as demand grows. Tgars economics 101. 

Basically, suck it up. 

• Like 2