Changes Coming to Plus/Premier Packages?

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Let's see, Wi-Fi is currently $25 per day and the cheapest daily gratuity charge is $14.50 per day (for balcony and below) or combined, $39.50, without adding any beverage option. At the current rate of $60 per day that means the beverage option costs $20.50 per day. So what do you think a fair price per day would be for canned soft drinks, specialty coffees, and don't forget bottled water.

After your 5 cruise, Wi-Fi is only $12.50 per day.

But to answer your question, if you were to knock out the alcoholic drinks 15 per day, you could easily drop the price by $25.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Let's see, Wi-Fi is currently $25 per day and the cheapest daily gratuity charge is $14.50 per day (for balcony and below) or combined, $39.50, without adding any beverage option. At the current rate of $60 per day that means the beverage option costs $20.50 per day. So what do you think a fair price per day would be for canned soft drinks, specialty coffees, and don't forget bottled water.

It would have to cost somewhere above $40 maybe as much as $45. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rideev said:

But to answer your question, if you were to knock out the alcoholic drinks 15 per day, you could easily drop the price by $25.

OK, Wi-Fi is $12.50 per day and gratuities are a minimum of $14.50 per day, that’s a minimum of $27 per day? So you’re saying with a non-alcoholic drink package, $40 per day would work for you, if you were Platinum or above?

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK, Wi-Fi is $12.50 per day and gratuities are a minimum of $14.50 per day, that’s a minimum of $27 per day? So you’re saying with a non-alcoholic drink package, $40 per day would work for you, if you were Platinum or above?

Packages don’t take into account your loyalty status when you are charged suites are a bit more for grats   I would think $40 would be appropriate. 

26 minutes ago, memoak said:

Packages don’t take into account your loyalty status when you are charged suites are a bit more for grats   I would think $40 would be appropriate. 

I was just going with it. I then fall back to my original thought of why would PCL offer it at $40 per day if Wi-Fi was $25 a day and gratuities were a minimum of $14.50, or $39.50 for both. Maybe $50 a day for non-alcoholic drinks, but not $40. But then what do I know. I’m just sitting over here in the peanut gallery. 😁

• Like 3

The bigger issue with Princess is that they do not know how to handle multiple packages (with/without loyalty, with/without suite, with/without alcohol, etc).  This has been an issue since day one.  You would think (aka Sheldon Cooper) that some IT person would be able to do an algorithm so that the persons on the other side of the counter would not have to second guess which package a passenger has.

How many remember the coffee "card".  It got to a point that the baristas were just handing folks coffees and not deducting them from the digital package.  At least with the physical card, they would stop and add a punch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Z0nker said:

Totally agree. We're being charged $10/day for fitness classes that we don't use, specialty desserts that we don't eat, and the upgraded dining is limited to the Wheelhouse Gastropub on the ships that sail from our homeport of SF.

Even if you eliminate the new additional stuff you don't want, after factoring out gratuities and wifi, the 60 is reduced to 29.  If you can't consume 29 worth of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks on a daily basis, stick with the no frills fare.  We never had the 50, just the 40 and the 60.  

Currently think the 60 is the best value at sea.  You basically get wifi and gratuities for free as far as we're concerned since most cruise lines charge over 60 per day for their drinks package. And the two casual visits is nice as well.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Yep, they could do a soda and coffee package with those and wifi for $30-35 and people would buy it.

They would want to bump the cost up to include gratuities to eliminate the possibility of having them removed.

2 hours ago, rideev said:

LOL.  35 per day for grats, wifi and all non alcoholic drinks.  Will never happen.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

LOL.  35 per day for grats, wifi and all non alcoholic drinks.  Will never happen.

And since I don't drink alcohol, and don't need wifi, I won't be purchasing plus either.  It's not a deal for me at $60 per day (tried it on one cruise and realized it was a waste of money for us.  Could have gone a la carte and paid for items separately and came out ahead.)

However, I would look at all options and if it was a deal for us, we would purchase.  Our next cruise is a 29 night.  Wondering how many are going to plop down $1740 and $2320 per person for plus and premier respectively.  Certainly not us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

They would make a fortune. I might consider buying it.

Assuming you already purchase the components ala carte, they would not make a fortune. Maybe it’s just me, but I will buy what I want or need and at the best price. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, BamaVol said:

Assuming you already purchase the components ala carte, they would not make a fortune. Maybe it’s just me, but I will buy what I want or need and at the best price. 

My point was they are making a lot of money on the packages they sell now, and could make more if they expanded to packages for non drinkers.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

My point was they are making a lot of money on the packages they sell now, and could make more if they expanded to packages for non drinkers.

Maybe I missed the point, but if a cruiser is buying soda, internet and gratuities ala carte, then where is the additional profit?  Are you assuming that a non-drinker either buys this imaginary package or nothing at all? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

No cruise line currently has a package that includes non alcoholic drinks.  Those that want wifi will buy it, usually at an Elite discount or will get Plus that has it factored in.  If WiFi or alcohol isn't important, then they get the no frills rate.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kywildcatfanone said:

If they could make more with this kind of package, then they would. IMO.

Companies make money on bundles when a certain amount of the offerings in the package don't get used by everyone. For example, most of us won't drink 15 drinks a day. Many won't use the fitness classes. Hardly anyone uses the 'premier' desserts, at least not 2 per day.

If you make a cheaper package that only includes the things everyone wants at a price cheaper than buying them a la carte which is then closer to the actual costs, how do they make money?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@MacMadame, I agree with you.  
I know that no one knows for sure, but I read that up to 70% of cruisers have one of the packages.  Why the heck would Princess ever offer  a lower level bundle?

Personally I would never cruise without a package. 
It is my opinion  the 15 drink per day alcoholic drink limit is very seldom reached and that the current Plus package can make financial sense even for people that drink little or no alcohol.  The limit makes some people they should share, because Princess owes them 15 drinks.

It is great that the 30% or so of the cruisers that cruise with no package have the option to spend less money.

Just my opinion.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MacMadame said:

If they could make more with this kind of package, then they would. IMO.

Companies make money on bundles when a certain amount of the offerings in the package don't get used by everyone. For example, most of us won't drink 15 drinks a day. Many won't use the fitness classes. Hardly anyone uses the 'premier' desserts, at least not 2 per day.

If you make a cheaper package that only includes the things everyone wants at a price cheaper than buying them a la carte which is then closer to the actual costs, how do they make money?

I get what you are saying, but the current plus package is "cheaper" than buying a la carte and they are making money from it, how is this different?

They are telling you with plus that they value a alcoholic drink at $2, and yet are making money on that. I doubt many people are buying alcohol a la carte, they would certainly spend more than the package cost.  I'm just saying they could offer a package that includes non alcoholic drinks to guests that don't drink. There used to be a coffee package 

Of course, part of the package goal is also to collect the tips and sell wifi which they might not have some buy or pay for separately. 

8 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I get what you are saying, but the current plus package is "cheaper" than buying a la carte and they are making money from it, how is this different?

They are telling you with plus that they value a alcoholic drink at $2, and yet are making money on that. I doubt many people are buying alcohol a la carte, they would certainly spend more than the package cost.  I'm just saying they could offer a package that includes non alcoholic drinks to guests that don't drink. There used to be a coffee package 

Of course, part of the package goal is also to collect the tips and sell wifi which they might not have some buy or pay for separately. 

I'm sure that Princess has evaluated the financials of the packages and there is no doubt they are making money on them, which is why they are marketing them so aggressively. Keep in mind, the mark up on the alcoholic beverages, WiFi, and other package benefits is probably quite high - so even though it seems like a savings to the consumer, just by virtue of locking people into a set extra price for these items, Princess is likely ensuring that lots of people are investing more in onboard expenses then they would have prior to the packages. Plus, Princess is getting this money upfront and far in advance in many cases, and they are collecting more on the Princess Insurance for those who buy the packages in advance due to the increased cost of the overall trip investment. This improves their financial position and strengthens the bottom line because it is money in hand gathering interest before services are even delivered while before the prepaid packages, they would not have been collecting that money until people actually cruised.

While most people who buy the packages feel they are getting a savings, which is likely true for many, there are probably equally as many people who buy the packages who also "underuse" them once onboard, especially on port days. Also, the packages definitely negate some level of the Elite benefit, but many Elite passengers still buy into them for the perceived added value and convenience. So this is a whole group of people that Princess is making more money on then they might if they didn't buy the package because they are in essence paying full price for a WiFi benefit that purchased ala carte would be half price.

So, Princess is definitely making money and people are buying them and seem to really like them - win/win scenario. I doubt Princess will make any other adjustments that might make the current packages less attractive by offering something at a lower cost. If anything, it's likely the cost of the current packages might increase at some future point, especially if they throw in more benefits to try to make them more attractive.

In the meanwhile, we continue to cruise package free as it doesn't add up for us. But I do appreciate that those who are purchasing the packages are likely contributing to keeping the overall cruise fares lower because it offers another big revenue stream to Princess which is good for those of us who aren't interested in buying them and prefer to apply that money toward other expenses we may value more like shore excursions and experiences, or pre and post cruise land travel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

I'm sure that Princess has evaluated the financials of the packages and there is no doubt they are making money on them, which is why they are marketing them so aggressively. Keep in mind, the mark up on the alcoholic beverages, WiFi, and other package benefits is probably quite high - so even though it seems like a savings to the consumer, just by virtue of locking people into a set extra price for these items, Princess is likely ensuring that lots of people are investing more in onboard expenses then they would have prior to the packages. Plus, Princess is getting this money upfront and far in advance in many cases, and they are collecting more on the Princess Insurance for those who buy the packages in advance due to the increased cost of the overall trip investment. This improves their financial position and strengthens the bottom line because it is money in hand gathering interest before services are even delivered while before the prepaid packages, they would not have been collecting that money until people actually cruised.

While most people who buy the packages feel they are getting a savings, which is likely true for many, there are probably equally as many people who buy the packages who also "underuse" them once onboard, especially on port days. Also, the packages definitely negate some level of the Elite benefit, but many Elite passengers still buy into them for the perceived added value and convenience. So this is a whole group of people that Princess is making more money on then they might if they didn't buy the package because they are in essence paying full price for a WiFi benefit that purchased ala carte would be half price.

So, Princess is definitely making money and people are buying them and seem to really like them - win/win scenario. I doubt Princess will make any other adjustments that might make the current packages less attractive by offering something at a lower cost. If anything, it's likely the cost of the current packages might increase at some future point, especially if they throw in more benefits to try to make them more attractive.

In the meanwhile, we continue to cruise package free as it doesn't add up for us. But I do appreciate that those who are purchasing the packages are likely contributing to keeping the overall cruise fares lower because it offers another big revenue stream to Princess which is good for those of us who aren't interested in buying them and prefer to apply that money toward other expenses we may value more like shore excursions and experiences, or pre and post cruise land travel.

Well said!

• Like 1

As stated by many, some buy the packages some don't. You have to do the math and determine if it is for you and in your budget. 

My personal opinion I would not purchase a Plus or Premium Beverage package vs. a Princess Plus or Princess Premium package. Personal note: I wish they would change the name, very confusing.

Just comparing the Plus and Premium Beverage packages to the Royal Caribbean Beverage package.

Plus Beverage $64.99/day plus gratuity.

Premium Beverage $84.99/day plus gratuity.

I'm booked on an RCL cruise early 2025.

The beverage package currently, is $87.99/day plus gratuity. This price varies by ship and length of cruise and can change in price up until sailing. So, you may or may not get a great deal.

Personally, I'm getting the better deal with the Princess Plus package.

Everyone has their own opinion, but you have to make sure you are doing your due diligence and compare correctly.

Good luck.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

As stated by many, some buy the packages some don't. You have to do the math and determine if it is for you and in your budget. 

My personal opinion I would not purchase a Plus or Premium Beverage package vs. a Princess Plus or Princess Premium package. Personal note: I wish they would change the name, very confusing.

Just comparing the Plus and Premium Beverage packages to the Royal Caribbean Beverage package.

Plus Beverage $64.99/day plus gratuity.

Premium Beverage $84.99/day plus gratuity.

I'm booked on an RCL cruise early 2025.

The beverage package currently, is $87.99/day plus gratuity. This price varies by ship and length of cruise and can change in price up until sailing. So, you may or may not get a great deal.

Personally, I'm getting the better deal with the Princess Plus package.

Everyone has their own opinion, but you have to make sure you are doing your due diligence and compare correctly.

Good luck.

Face it no one buys the beverage deals  on their own   They buy the packages

• Like 3

While we're on the topic - is there a package for minors when they're the third passenger in the cabin

if the two adults in the cabin have the Plus package ?

7 minutes ago, memoak said:

Face it no one buys the beverage deals  on their own   They buy the packages

I don't disagree. But I think some do or it wouldn't be offered. 😀

I was just comparing beverage packages. I guess I should have mentioned that RCL doesn't offer a package like the Princess Plus or Princess Premium. They just offer a beverage package.

Can we still bring a bottle of wine on board each, or are they changing that too?  We've never bought the packages on any cruise because it's just not cost effective for us and we aren't interested in a lot of the inclusions.  We do use the coupon book when it's included as part of the deal and have had great meals with free wine at Sabatini's, free professional photography, etc. but it's kind of like taking advantage of those timeshare companies that give you a bunch of gifts to go to a presentation.  We don't feel inclined to buy so we just get the 'gifts' we want and go away happy without them making extra money off us.  Now if we had to pay for a bunch of stuff we never use to get a couple things we are possibly interested in - not gonna happen when we can just pay a la carte and it's way cheaper.  For us the ports are a very important part of our cruising - it's a way to explore someplace and decide later if we really liked it to fly there on another vacation and stay for a couple weeks for in-depth exploration.  A cruise is mainly a hotel room & inexpensive food and cheap transport to interesting places, with the added benefit of great musicians and shows.

• Like 2