Will there be taxis at the pier in Dun Laoghaire?

I understand the cost of a cab is 25-30E from the pier--can anyone confirm?

Will they be able to hold 4 passengers? 
Are they readily available?

MUCH cheaper than the ship "on your own" excursion into Dublin.

I realize the train is less expensive, there is so much we want to do in Dublin we want to maximize our time--will a cab do that? 

Thanks!

On 4/1/2024 at 6:57 PM, KKB said:

I understand the cost of a cab is 25-30E from the pier--can anyone confirm?

Will they be able to hold 4 passengers? 
Are they readily available?

MUCH cheaper than the ship "on your own" excursion into Dublin.

I realize the train is less expensive, there is so much we want to do in Dublin we want to maximize our time--will a cab do that? 

Thanks!

The taxi stand is located on Marine Road, just slightly uphill from the pier.  The cab will take 4 persons of regular size as it is a standard european saloon car.  3 seated on back seat and one up front beside driver (driver will be on right hand side of vehicle!!) We drive on the left side of the road in Ireland.  I would reckon the cost on being closer to €40/€45.  Time taken will depend greatly on the time of year and time of day.  June, July & August will be quicker as schools and colleges are into summer break.  Up to 9.30am in the morning will be slower due to morning commuter traffic.

Day return ticket for the train is €5 per person and a Visitor Leap card (valid on train and Dublin Bus) is €8 for 24 hours ticket. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

any idea of the cost and availability of a taxi from the cruise ship terminal to the airport?   We debark at 7:30 am and need to go straight to the airport for a 10:50 flight.

TIY

15 hours ago, mare s. said:

any idea of the cost and availability of a taxi from the cruise ship terminal to the airport?   We debark at 7:30 am and need to go straight to the airport for a 10:50 flight.

TIY

A few more details would help.....day of week?  month?  School holidays start in June until September and traffic is much lighter during these months.  Obviously Saturday and Sunday traffic will be light too.  But a minimum of 20/30 minutes to the airport.  Where are you flying to?  USA flights have recommended 3 hours prior to departure for check in (because of the Pre Clearance carried out at Dublin airport for flights to USA).

Roughly cost far taxi about €40/50.

Regarding availability, I am unsure as the port area is a restricted and taxis are usually not permitted to enter.  A shuttle bus takes people from the ship to an area where they can safely walk from the port and where taxis should be waiting.

25 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

A few more details would help.....day of week?  month?  School holidays start in June until September and traffic is much lighter during these months.  Obviously Saturday and Sunday traffic will be light too.  But a minimum of 20/30 minutes to the airport.  Where are you flying to?  USA flights have recommended 3 hours prior to departure for check in (because of the Pre Clearance carried out at Dublin airport for flights to USA).

Roughly cost far taxi about €40/50.

Regarding availability, I am unsure as the port area is a restricted and taxis are usually not permitted to enter.  A shuttle bus takes people from the ship to an area where they can safely walk from the port and where taxis should be waiting.

Well, I goofed.   We disembark at Alexandra Quay, not Dun Laoghaire.   We arrive on a Monday, July 1.  From what I've read, this terminal is not restricted and we can walk right off.   We are flying to Heathrow and connecting there to the U.S. so I don't think we go through pre-clearance. 

4 minutes ago, mare s. said:

Well, I goofed.   We disembark at Alexandra Quay, not Dun Laoghaire.   We arrive on a Monday, July 1.  From what I've read, this terminal is not restricted and we can walk right off.   We are flying to Heathrow and connecting there to the U.S. so I don't think we go through pre-clearance. 

I realised that as you were disembarking that you would be in Dublin Port, not Dun Laoghaire.  July will be good, but you will have rush hour traffic.  The taxi will probably ask if you will pay the extra to use the Port Tunnel, and I feel that it would be worth it at this time of the morning. 

Correct, no preclearance for LHR flights.

Regarding the restriction, this is what the Dublin Port website states, but that may not relate to embarkation/disembarkation days.

https://www.dublinport.ie/tofrom/cruise-liners/