Virginia Voyage Rules Regarding Drink Package.

Just read the following article on:

https://www.cruisehive.com/home-port-change-impacts-carnivals-drink-package/127393

regarding first day cruise drink packages being voided in Norfolk, Virginia.

The cruisers were made whole by refunding the first day of the package.

I would think this would affect Royal's Vision of the Seas passengers for the two embarkations in the month of April, 2024.

Does anyone have more solid information?

I have not received any emails from Royal concerning this subject.

Just now, smokeybandit said:

Carnival also doesn't start your drink package on the first day out of Galveston, while RC does. So I'd suspect it'd work like that.

Thanks for responding. I never purchased a drink package but this sounded a bit unusual.

Per your response, this is not unusual and happens in certain ports.

Something they do not advertise when you buy it.

😁

Sailing from Galveston, the cruise lines are subject to TABC (Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission) rules until they reach International waters, which limit them to serving only alcohol  purchased from a Texas distributor. It's a tax thing. Royal offers a limited menu & then switches over once they reach International waters. I've actually watched the bartenders bring out a bigger selection and remove some of the Texas-only bottles, such as Shiner Beer.

Apparently Carnival makes it easy on their bartenders & just doesn't offer drinks while in Texas waters.

Having said all that, not sure if Virginia works the same way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Sailing from Galveston, the cruise lines are subject to TABC (Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission) rules until they reach International waters, which limit them to serving only alcohol  purchased from a Texas distributor. It's a tax thing. Royal offers a limited menu & then switches over once they reach International waters. I've actually watched the bartenders bring out a bigger selection and remove some of the Texas-only bottles, such as Shiner Beer.

Apparently Carnival makes it easy on their bartenders & just doesn't offer drinks while in Texas waters.

Having said all that, not sure if Virginia works the same way.

Sounds logical to me and that is what appears to be happening after @smokeybandit responded in a similar way.

I have never seen Cruisehive.com report this in such a specific fashion but it must just be because of the events happening in the reshuffling of Baltimore cruises.

Another question: Does this affect Crown and Anchor complimentary drinks the same way?

I know, I am starting to sound like Lt. Columbo with the "one more question" routine.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Just read the following article on:

https://www.cruisehive.com/home-port-change-impacts-carnivals-drink-package/127393

regarding first day cruise drink packages being voided in Norfolk, Virginia.

The cruisers were made whole by refunding the first day of the package.

I would think this would affect Royal's Vision of the Seas passengers for the two embarkations in the month of April, 2024.

Does anyone have more solid information?

I have not received any emails from Royal concerning this subject.

Since even the article states “the reason is unknown” unless someone here has previously sailed out of Norfolk on a Royal ship any answers will be pure speculation. 

Certainly sailings out if Galveston are handled differently by Royal and Carnival. Royal has a limited menu until in International waters of Texas purchased liquor. Whether this is the case from Virginia hasn’t been stated and if this is the case would Royal to have had time to set up provisions?

incidentally, in case it is important to you from Galveston, Crown and Anchor wines are not delivered either until the second day for the same reason. 

Only Royal can give you a definitive answer but if it is local restrictions they would presumably refund one days package like Carnival. Whatever the answer is, is it going to affect your decision to sail? If there are local restrictions they will need to adhere to them.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

Another question: Does this affect Crown and Anchor complimentary drinks the same way?

Nope. If the laws are the same as Texas, it would just affect what the bars have available. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

From Galveston crown and anchor drinks comply with same limited menu.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, c-leg5 said:

Whatever the answer is, is it going to affect your decision to sail?

No, absolutely not.

Drinking vast quantities of alcohol are long gone in the mirror that says, "Objects appear closer than they seem."

Just preparing myself for a cruise that might have passengers jumping through some hoops to make a voyage, getting there, and finding out THEY cannot numb themselves a bit after some stress to start their cruise.

I was more concerned about placing my out-of-state licensed vehicle in a public parking garage for eight days in an area where would be car thieves know no one will report the car stolen for seven days.

I have that handled now. thanks to some great advice from fellow cruisers on this site who did not tell me to put my "big pants on" but actually gave me solutions which I am grateful.

I am great. No need for alcohol until day 2, 3, or 4.

I just hope passengers who are not well informed are prepared to go "Sugar Free" for a bit or be informed of the price they might pay.

😁

• Like 3

Am I the only who was trying to figure out what this has to do with Virgin Voyages?

That's what I get for reading before I've had my coffee.. ugh

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, robmtx said:

Am I the only who was trying to figure out what this has to do with Virgin Voyages?

You are definitely not the only one.

29 minutes ago, robmtx said:

You are not alone! I clicked through thinking that VV had started a drink package program lol.

Just an FYI when sailing from NOLA Royal eats the state sales tax and the last on Carnival in 2019 you could use their drink package, but they charged you the State Tax separately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

Just an FYI when sailing from NOLA Royal eats the state sales tax and the last on Carnival in 2019 you could use their drink package, but they charged you the State Tax separately.

I am on vacation and hate to read all of the fine print.

Only those who look at the final bill sometimes say, "Where is this x.xx% VAT coming from?" I am still in the United States.

We are used to the foreign islands tacking this on.

Domesticated VATS, they are multiplying everywhere.

The cruise lines can pass them on and keep that price per person double occupancy number looking very lucrative to the newbies.

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2024 at 8:17 PM, Engineroom Snipe said:

I was more concerned about placing my out-of-state licensed vehicle in a public parking garage for eight days in an area where would be car thieves know no one will report the car stolen for seven days.

I have that handled now. thanks to some great advice from fellow cruisers on this site who did not tell me to put my "big pants on" but actually gave me solutions which I am grateful.

I too am concerned parking my PA licensed vehicle in public parking garage in Norfolk.  Where did you end up parking?

1 hour ago, SUESEABE said:

I too am concerned parking my PA licensed vehicle in public parking garage in Norfolk.  Where did you end up parking?

Asphalt Lots, Chesapeake, VA. They are on Facebook. They had not done cruise parking before and were on a learning curve. Very secure, price was less than normal cruise parking with shuttle included. I liked the ability to reserve and prepay which enured a spot. I would use them again compared to the cruise recommended parking sites.

• Thanks 1