Iconic Iceland, Greenland and Canada Excursions Question

molymoo

We are still 78 days out from our Iconic Iceland, Greenland and Canada cruise in June.  We have booked our excursions but recent health issues have me wondering whether we might need to make some changes before we sail.  We have booked two in particular that I question moving forward and wonder if those who have done these can give me some more details than offered in the descriptions.  One is in Akureyri … the Whale Watching Safari.  It is listed as “demanding” but wonder what might make it so.  The other is the Fjallsárlón Ice Lagoon by Zodiac in Djúpivogur.  The question here is riding on the Zodiac … have been having some arthritis issues in both shoulders and wonder if the zodiac might be difficult to manage.  Am working diligently with doctors to address the issues and better manage the situation but want to be ready to make changes if necessary.

Just now, molymoo said:

We are still 78 days out from our Iconic Iceland, Greenland and Canada cruise in June.  We have booked our excursions but recent health issues have me wondering whether we might need to make some changes before we sail.  We have booked two in particular that I question moving forward and wonder if those who have done these can give me some more details than offered in the descriptions.  One is in Akureyri … the Whale Watching Safari.  It is listed as “demanding” but wonder what might make it so.  The other is the Fjallsárlón Ice Lagoon by Zodiac in Djúpivogur.  The question here is riding on the Zodiac … have been having some arthritis issues in both shoulders and wonder if the zodiac might be difficult to manage.  Am working diligently with doctors to address the issues and better manage the situation but want to be ready to make changes if necessary.

We did the whale watching and the most demanding thing was the temperature once the boat got going.  Take your coats, hats, gloves even if it doesn’t feel like you’ll need them.  There is a small part of the boat that is inside but best views are out front. Keep your expectations on seeing whales relatively low.  We saw Minke Whales and a pod of dolphins so it was a great morning.  The included tour there was also enjoyable-the botanical garden is beautiful (or was when we were there) 

We did the ice lagoon on our land visit. I was worried about the zodiac entry and exit also due to my balance and knee issues. That turned out not to be a big concern-the issue I had was the climb up and over the berm that surrounded the lagoon. You can see the berm behind Mike in his fashionable survival suit.  It was a rocky gravel path that was pretty steep. I hadn’t planned on taking my hiking stick but was glad I had it. The lagoon ride was great fun putting on the survival suit, not so much!

IMG_6063.thumb.jpeg.744aae8573a4db96e014df0fb33f6758.jpeg

IMG_6079.thumb.jpeg.92a47e404d73864a5651ad6619d309ba.jpeg

IMG_6105.thumb.jpeg.1eca2173b8b7413a825d0760ac0934d5.jpeg

IMG_4977.thumb.jpeg.000f2ae9697d8ac832ad3714b9fb2a17.jpeg

IMG_4663.thumb.jpeg.98f43fa2413a7f2fb8ff39108997657e.jpeg

IMG_6122.jpeg

• Like 2

E, I wonder if you will be on board with my sister? Email me; it's in my signature. 

Whale watching the "demanding " can be as simple as getting on and off the boat, but I'm just guessing. 

The day before we left for Iceland, I received a cortisone injection for a painful and frozen shoulder.  It took another 3 days before I could dress myself.  We took the zodiac glacier tour. Fortunately,  I was fairly mobile before we reached Djupivogur. 

The bus ride to the glacier is 2+ hours each way with a pit stop. 

This is definitely not for the wheelchair dependent. The path to the water is au natural  -- rocky, uneven, steep, not paved.  I can't remember if anyone used aids.  I was too busy watching where I was putting my feet. 

Getting into the zodiac requires that, dressed in the waterproof safety gear they supply (see photo above) you sit on the edge of the raft, height around 30? inches, and swing your feet up and over into the boat.  You may then have to walk to your position on the side of the raft. They load from the rear and fill seats front to back. I was concerned about my shoulder but in the end I was able to do all that was required of me. You sit on the edge of the raft; think blow up swimming pool.  Minimal hand holds.

AND, it was amazing,thrilling and everything I hoped it would be.

I've tried to cover the physical challenge and I hope the more folks can add more details. 

I will try to remember to add photos later.

• Like 1

Sorry A, having trouble finding email ... probably need a site tutorial as I have not posted much recently.  We will be leaving from NYC on June 22 and heading for Reykjavik.  Would be fun to meet your sister should it be possible.  Thanks for the information and the pics!

E

18 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Sorry A, having trouble finding email ... probably need a site tutorial as I have not posted much recently.  We will be leaving from NYC on June 22 and heading for Reykjavik.  Would be fun to meet your sister should it be possible.  Thanks for the information and the pics!

E

😞 Not the same sailing. She'll be disembarking in NYC as you board.

Here's my email:  peregrina651- cc7 @ yahoo.com (remove all 3 spaces but keep the hyphen).

Depending on your device, you may or may not see signature files.