Ravenna

scoochy12

Hello All,

We will be on Norwegian Pearl next month and have Ravenna as a port day. From what I understand the city center is 12km away from port. Has anyone had experience with this port? Or any locals here? Will there be taxis at port? Or how do you recommend getting to city center without doing a ship excursion? When calling NCL they say to check once on board. 

TIA

5 hours ago, scoochy12 said:

Has anyone had experience with this port? Or any locals here? Will there be taxis at port? Or how do you recommend getting to city center without doing a ship excursion?

if you have not already done so, reading past threads should help with info and ideas for sightseeing.

Choose which of these past threads to read

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=ravenna&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464

There will be a shuttle (small charge) from the ship to a central point in town. Cost will depend on whatever NCL decides to charge.

Taxis are very few and far between, I would not count on being able to get one.

• Like 1

I would recommend paying for the NCL shuttle to Ravenna town centre. (Celebrity & RC charged me $10 each way) (It's actually quite a small town with very few taxis. Until it was first used as a port by Royal Caribbean in 2022, Ravenna was mostly visited by Italians as their summer holiday destination, as there's miles and miles of beaches nearby). There is a local bus - Bus 90 - that stops around 10 minutes walk from the cruise terminal for €2. (Link to Google Maps). 

I was surprised by how much there is to see in Ravenna. There are 8 UNESCO World Heritage sites with the most spectacular being Basilica of San Vitale - the mosaics date back to the 6th century. Here's more details on my blog post on what to see in Ravenna. I joined my cruise from Ravenna (as opposed to yours being a port stop) but the things to do in Ravenna applies to a port stop too! 

https://diycruiseports.com/diy-port-guides/ravenna-cruise-stop-mosaics

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2024 at 12:23 AM, scoochy12 said:

Hello All,

We will be on Norwegian Pearl next month and have Ravenna as a port day. From what I understand the city center is 12km away from port. Has anyone had experience with this port? Or any locals here? Will there be taxis at port? Or how do you recommend getting to city center without doing a ship excursion? When calling NCL they say to check once on board. 

TIA

For sure, there are a limited number of taxis in Ravenna, and as the other poster mentioned, it is a beautiful city, with nothing to do at the port.  I second the suggestion to take the cruise line bus transfer, usually 15-20E pp, then buy one of the multi-site tickets for entrance to see the painted churches. Stunning.