14 NIGHTS ANTARCTICA

Tiggipaws

1 hour ago, Boatharbour said:

Great article and quite on target IMHO as we were on the Sapphire for 30 days in Jan/Feb and experienced much of what Tim Johnson discussed in his article. 😁

16 hours ago, critic2023 said:

I did this itinerary in January of this year. I only saw it offered in January and February with possible spillover a few days into March. Typically, I'd say Celebrity only offers 3-4 of these per year due to weather limits on when it is safe to travel in the region. My cruise was completely sold out and it seems to me that the rest were also sold out or close to it.

I have mixed feelings on my experience. I don't regret going, of course - it was the trip of a lifetime and also my first foray into South America. But having seen how it goes on a sail-by cruise, I think I would do an expedition cruise in the future. In fact, I now absolutely plan to do an expedition cruise to Antarctica someday - this trip didn't quite scratch the itch for me, and I feel like there is much more to be seen.

My main complaints are not anything I blame the cruise line for, because they are things I knew about well in advance and chose to move forward with anyway. There are a lot of sea days (I like more port intensive cruises, so I knew this would bother me) and we spent a very small amount of time in Antarctica - I think about 1.5 days in total out of a 14 day cruise? Again, I don't blame Celebrity for this. They didn't advertise anything different. But having done it, I now know it's not the way I want to experience the continent. Someday in a few years, I will be splurging on an expedition cruise to do it what I now consider "the right way."

Sums up exactly how we felt and why we went back on an expedition ship. My only advice is don’t leave it too long as you never know what lies ahead. Mobility issues would now make the trip on an expedition ship impossible but as we always said “ if we end up sitting at home in a wheelchair we will do so with memories not regrets”

• Like 2

One advantage booking a cruise with 4 days cruising around the Antarctica Peninsula rather than just 2 days like Celebrity and NCL offer is this new 10 kn speed restriction.

In 2021, IAATO Operators strengthened the measures by committing to a mandatory 10kn speed restriction for vessels operating in IAATO geofenced time areas, and whale watching and whale avoidance mitigation training by all bridge teams while operating in any areas where whales are routinely seen.

This slower speed can definitely reduce the distance a ship can cover in just 2 days. 

https://iaato.org/iaato-set-to-begin-2023-24-antarctic-season-with-new-and-enhanced-responsible-tourism-measures/

On 4/12/2024 at 10:13 AM, Tiggipaws said:

Thank you for all your replies. Lots to consider

If you do decide on an Expedition type cruise, and especially if you choose Hurtigruten, we will be happy to send you "Hints and Tips" on how to make the most of your trip including the answer to "Why you need to take 4 metres of elastic cord/string" with you. 

Pre Covid Hurtigruten did presentation evenings especially for the Antarctic - we went to 2 before finally deciding to book - which also may help you.

We can be contacted at: 

geoffanita at hotmail dot com - sorry for the odd way of writing it stops the bots. Enjoy the planning and of course the trip itself. Geoff and the boss (Anita).

If you decide on not visiting Antarctica on an exhibition 

ship I reckon the choice is pretty simple. As previously said 

X go for a couple of days and others for four days. We will

be on Holland America this winter for four days. It wasn’t 

a difficult decision which was aided by our preference for

HAL over Celebrity.