locking luggage?

grest

No locking your luggage is fine. You have to claim it once you clear the ship so you can unlock it for the TSA inspectors at the airport. In fact, I have had the TSA folks put the locks right back on at my request once they've finished their search with no problems.

We used the TSA locks on our last cruise in Nov. '05 and no problems. The locks were still on the bags when we got them delivered to our cabin. I don't know if they looked in them or not, but there was not a flyer saying they had searched the luggage. So I'm thinking they passed okay.

We use TSA approved locks all the time without one loss or problem with the locks. Most recently we stayed at a HAL arranged hotel pre-cruise in Ft Lauderdale. The embarkation morning HAL sent a truck over early to take the luggage for the 40 or so people staying in the hotel. We locked our luggage then and it arrived in our cabin still locked. The last night it went out in the hallway locked and was locked when we found them the next morning in the terminal. The ties probably work just as well but we have the locks and will continue to use them....if for no other reason than to keep our bags from opening by accident. Let's face it, somebody wants to go through your luggage for less than honest reasons no lock or tie is going to keep them out.

We used the TSA approved locks on our last trip, but please note that they are not accepted in all countries. If you are flying on a US airline, they are fine, but friends of mine traveling through Europe had their locks broken off! All the airline rules are a system of consistent inconsistency.

We used the TSA approved locks on our last trip, but please note that they are not accepted in all countries. If you are flying on a US airline, they are fine, but friends of mine traveling through Europe had their locks broken off! All the airline rules are a system of consistent inconsistency.

A point well made seeing TSA is a US agency. We have TSA locks and when we came back from our european cruise, we simply took them off when we got to the airport.

You can get TSA locks at almost any store that sells travel goods. They come in several different models, from basic small locks to more sturdy ones. You set your own combination for the lock, and the TSA has special keys that unlock them if they need to get into the bag for a screening search.

They are really nice for travel and you do not have to unlock them or take them off when checking bags at the airport.

Ed

Archived