Iona: change promenade deck booking or not?

Hello - I am lucky enough to be going on Iona this spring. I booked a cabin (didn’t read the small print…) and discovered I’ve been allocated a cabin in the promenade deck - ie people walking past day and night, not the experience I wanted. Plus, obviously not directly on the sea with two glass windows between me and it. 

First time cruiser - what is my best option? Any inside knowledge? Make an offer to upgrade? How busy is the promenade? Any benefits to being on that deck? Be good to weigh up my options. I’m worried I might get a worse cabin, eg under a nightclub if I upgrade or go up a category. Any advice much appreciated - and yep, I should’ve read and understood the small print 😔

There are lots of videos on Youtube which show what a cabin is like on that deck. Iona and Arvia both have the same format so videos on either are good.

This one is a good place to start if you haven't found some already. 

Having been on Iona twice now in all honesty it isn't a deck I would want to be on but it is a convenient location. 

If you are bidding to upgrade can you do so by cabin grade so you can check the deck plan to make sure the cabin is not near an entertainment venue if this is your concern? 

Sorry I can't be any more help. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwedishRyeBread said:

Hello - I am lucky enough to be going on Iona this spring. I booked a cabin (didn’t read the small print…) and discovered I’ve been allocated a cabin in the promenade deck - ie people walking past day and night, not the experience I wanted. Plus, obviously not directly on the sea with two glass windows between me and it. 

First time cruiser - what is my best option? Any inside knowledge? Make an offer to upgrade? How busy is the promenade? Any benefits to being on that deck? Be good to weigh up my options. I’m worried I might get a worse cabin, eg under a nightclub if I upgrade or go up a category. Any advice much appreciated - and yep, I should’ve read and understood the small print 😔

Did you book 

Online.

Travel agent.

P&O Direct.

Is it a late saver or Select booking?

Depending on which way you booked will determine your options.

Personally after 4 Iona cruises I would not want a deck 8 balcony cabin so if you can change it to a higher deck do it.

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Did you book 

Online.

Travel agent.

P&O Direct.

Is it a late saver or Select booking?

Depending on which way you booked will determine your options.

Personally after 4 Iona cruises I would not want a deck 8 balcony cabin so if you can change it to a higher deck do it.

Hello. I booked direct online, and it says * P&O Cruises Early Saver * on my booking. I booked it over a year before my date of travel. I’m an idiot for not checking the small print on booking, but in my defence, it’s not writ large on the cabin description nor is the promenade or two glass walls visible in the images. 

I’m inclining towards an upgrade, and just hope that I don’t get put under eg a nightclub instead. The bidding concept is pretty alien to me too! 

Posted (edited)

Hi

I have stayed in a deck 8 and to be honest it was actually better than I thought.  I did the usual and read all the reviews and dreaded it.  Turns out that all those that say deck 8 is a poor cabin usually have not actually stayed in one.

A lot of the amenities are on deck 8 so it cut a lot of having to use the lifts.  The hotubs are on deck so not far to walk in your wet gear back to cabin.  People cant really see inside the cabin as the windows have reflective glass.  They can only see inside when its dark and you have your curtains open.

The only downside I thought was cruising down the fjords you didnt get a great view on your balcony unlike the higher decks.

As I said, we were really dreading going and even thought about cancelling but we had a great time and in fact if I went saver fare again on Iona it wouldnt bother me if we got a deck 8 again.

Edited by Harryjacobs
  • Like 3

Can you let us know what cabin type/grade you originally booked and the cabin number you've been allocated? Two windows between you and the sea sounds like one of the conservatory mini-suites, which are lovely cabins even if not an ideal location for you, and you could always leave the inner doors open to have less glass between you and the sea.

Cabin is 8131, and it’s a grade GZ. Total cost £2158 (for me and my child). No it’s not a conservatory - the windows I mean are the cabin windows, balcony glass and then the glass on the other side of the promenade ie not direct onto the sea. 

I do like the sound of being close to things however @Harryjacobs! All the other people in my group are on decks 9-14, with most on 10 and 12. Decisions! 

10 minutes ago, SwedishRyeBread said:

Hello. I booked direct online, and it says * P&O Cruises Early Saver * on my booking. I booked it over a year before my date of travel. I’m an idiot for not checking the small print on booking, but in my defence, it’s not writ large on the cabin description nor is the promenade or two glass walls visible in the images. 

I’m inclining towards an upgrade, and just hope that I don’t get put under eg a nightclub instead. The bidding concept is pretty alien to me too! 

The clubhouse is at the back of the ship on deck 8 but isn't open too late and deck 10 upwards will be fine for avoiding any noise.

The smaller balconies are on Deck 5 and the only ones below any lounges.

Any balcony cabin deck 10 and up except for cabins at the very front of the ship that have steel balcony fronts will be good.

Ah I see what you mean!

8.131 is on a much quieter bit of the promenade deck than most and seems to have a decent sized balcony compared to most other standard balconies. The promenade deck widens at 8.205ish and that's where it starts getting busier with sunloungers/ chairs etc. Where you are will still have people walking past some of the time, but unlikely to have people lingering or stopping for a chat.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, SwedishRyeBread said:

Cabin is 8131, and it’s a grade GZ. Total cost £2158 (for me and my child). No it’s not a conservatory - the windows I mean are the cabin windows, balcony glass and then the glass on the other side of the promenade ie not direct onto the sea. 

I do like the sound of being close to things however @Harryjacobs! All the other people in my group are on decks 9-14, with most on 10 and 12. Decisions! 

This photo was the port side.

The third cabin back is the same location as your cabin 8131 on the (other)starboard side.

It is a quiet but very breezy part of the ship very near to the front of the ship.

Screenshot_20240415_220951.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2