Anyone living in Seattle or has sailed from Seattle

As our cruise gets closer to sailing time I've got a couple of question about the Seattle area.

We are flying in on Friday afternoon and we have booked a pre cruise stay at Marriott Springhill Suites on Yale Avenue for Friday night and Saturday night and as well have also booked a tour of the City of Seattle on Saturday.

The tour will be about 3 to 4 hours with Scenic Seattle Tours and they are to pick us up a the hotel on Saturday morning.

My question is we will have from about 12:00pm to 1:00pm til bed time to explore more of Seattle so I need some suggestions like any shopping areas close to the hotel as well as a nice but not really expensive place to eat and a grocery or quick market near by to pick up those last minute item that maybe you forgot to pack and soda's and water to take aboard the ship.

Any and all information will be greatly appreicated.

Thanks in advance for you time and trouble

Marcy

There is a large market just along from the cruise ship pier which is very interesting and the shops and restaurants in that area are fun too. Hope this helps a little. Seattle is a very pleasant city to walk around if you can cope will the hills, we are from Florida and found this tough.

I assume that you are cruising to Alaska. Bus service is free through much of downtown. Just ask a bus driver or call METRO.

I would head south on First Avenue. Visit the Pike Street Market at 1st and Pike, one of the oldest and most colorful farmers' markets in the world. Pike Market will have everything you need. The Seattle Art Museum is several blocks south also on First Avenue. Benaroya Hall at 2nd and University always has a concert. It has the best accoustics I have ever experienced. Further south, in Pioneer Square, the Gold Rush Museum (the smallest U.S. Park) will give you a vivid picture of that era. (Basically, Seattle grew into a big town by provisioning the miners, who would not be allowed into the Canadian Yukon without one ton of supplies.)

For dinner, try the Buenos Aries Grill at 2nd and Virginia (on the way back to the hotel) for reasonably priced great steaks. Some evenings, Tango dancers perform. Or, Flying Fish or Cutters in the Pike Place Market for seafood. For more selections, google the Seattle Times restaurant review section.

If the early evening is clear, consider going up to the top of the Space Needle. Seattle is surrounded by water and mountains, the largest, Mt. Rainier, is a massive volcano that rises to over 14,000 feet. You can watch the evening sun bath Rainier's glaciers in pale red. To the West, the Olympic Mountains will look like a jagged black cut out against the setting Sun.

Enjoy.

I was not sure by the posting, but if you are taking the "tour" first, you will then end up with lots of ideas of things to do. You will either want to return to some of the sites, or get other ideas of things to do.

If you scan back through the messages on the ALASKA board, you will get lots of ideas as well.

I live in Seattle and have cruised out of here 3 times, soon to be 4.

The tour is a great way to start your stay here. And as garycarla said, I also believe the tour will give you lots of ideas of other places to do things.

If you are able to get down to the waterfront (within 5-10 blocks from where the ships dock, which is pier 66) there is a really fun area to go. One of our favorite restaurants is there, called the Fisherman. It offers beef and chicken items, but specializes in seafood of course.

There are some great shops all up and down this area, including Ye Olde Curiousity Shoppe. I think each tourist to Seattle should go there. Another place I very highly recommend is Ivar's, which is right on the waterfront. I believe that street is called Alaskan Way. It is right below the double decker viaduct, which is called the Alaskan Way Viaduct. Ivar's offers great clam chowder, along with fish and chips. You can eat outdoors with the seagulls who are hovering nearby waiting for you to throw or drop a french fry.

I didn't see when it is that you will be leaving on your cruise, or which ship, but I know you'll have a great time. Remember this IS Seattle, and while we do have beautiful weather in the summer, it can rain ANY day!

Hikini:D

Thank you all so much for all the great suggestions and ideas. The space needle at night sounds Great!! We will be sailing on NCL Star May 21st.

Adding to all this, I've been to Seattle a few times, and I would add Chinook's (great seafood, great views) for dinner (now it looks like you'll be having five or six dinners in one night! Ha.).

Pike Place Market and the Space Needle are obvious things, but I would probably not go to the Space Needle for dinner (I've heard it's VERY expensive, and there are cheaper, better alternatives elsewhere), but you can still stand out on the observation deck for photos. For music fans like myself, I'm looking forward to seeing the Experience Music Project (near the Needle). And if you like Starbucks, you have to go to the "motherland," (the first one), in Pike Place Market. Neat little "Been there, done that" kind of thing.

One last thing: rent Sleepless in Seattle and see how many places you can spot from the scenes.

One last thing: rent Sleepless in Seattle and see how many places you can spot from the scenes.

What a great idea! Living in Seattle since 1968 tho' I did spot some scenery things that have been Hollywood-ized.

Thanks guys and dolls,

I hope to be able to see the waterfront and all the houseboat homes were Sleepless in Seatlle was filmed

Thanks,

Marcy

The houseboats are still on Lake Union, but the particular one used in the movie has been so dramatically remodeled that it is unrecognizable. It's also been moved to a different location on the lake. But, the charm of this particular lifestyle remains.

And please note: The Seattle Art Museum downtown is closed for expansion. Only the Seattle Asian Art Museum is currently open (located in Volunteer Park).

Thanks again to everyone,

My list now is getting longer for things to do and see in Seattle and I hope we will be able to do see all or most of them.

I appreciate all your idea's and suggestions.

Marcy:)

Just needed to ask another couple of questions in case someone else checks this post.

For anyone living in Seattle, now this my seem like a dumb question with all the tours and cruise planning I've done, but on NCL they only have Coke products. My best friend and myself only drink Pepsi products and I know that in some States and Cities that they don't carry some of the soda products. Does anyone know if Seattle carrys "Diet Mt. Dew" and is there a place at the Pike Place Market to pick some up to carry aboard the Star?

Also does anyone know about taking a photo at night from the Space Needle? I just have a 35mm (a very good one) and I took somes photo's of New York's skyline lights and the Statue of Liberty as we were returning back into port very early morning back from Canada and was so disappointed when I got home and had them developed that they didn't turn out. Any suggestions?

I would like to get a digital camera, but my old senior mine I'm afraid wouldn't to able to figure it out.

Thanks,

Marcy

Just needed to ask another couple of questions in case someone else checks this post.

For anyone living in Seattle, now this my seem like a dumb question with all the tours and cruise planning I've done, but on NCL they only have Coke products. My best friend and myself only drink Pepsi products and I know that in some States and Cities that they don't carry some of the soda products. Does anyone know if Seattle carrys "Diet Mt. Dew" and is there a place at the Pike Place Market to pick some up to carry aboard the Star?

I too am a Pepsi drinker. Pike Place Market isn't a mainstream grocer. Finding what you want there might not be possible.

I would suggest the Safeway in the Uptown neighborhood at Mercer and 1st West. They will have whatever you need. Of course, that depends on how you are planning on getting to the ship. Are you renting a car? The Safeway is an easy cab ride from the pier, probably a little less than a mile. But it's up hill.

Another option is Uwajimaya Asian Grocery store in the International District. They would probably have Diet Mt. Dew. And, you can take the free water front trolly bus to Pier 66 (Bell Street) where the NCL ships always dock.

Finally, closest to your hotel is the QFC (Quality Food Center) at Pine and Boradway. That's on Capitol Hill about 1/2 mile from you hotel.

Also does anyone know about taking a photo at night from the Space Needle? I just have a 35mm (a very good one) and I took somes photo's of New York's skyline lights and the Statue of Liberty as we were returning back into port very early morning back from Canada and was so disappointed when I got home and had them developed that they didn't turn out. Any suggestions?

I would like to get a digital camera, but my old senior mine I'm afraid wouldn't to able to figure it out.

Thanks,

Marcy

If you have 400 speed film and something to steady the camera, you should be able to get a decent shot at night. If you have a tripod (even a single leg version) that would be even better. Just make sure the flash is NOT on.

I'm always happy to answer "strange" questions, especially if it's about my town. We can be a strange place sometimes.;)

SeaTeacher,

We are staying at Marriott Springhill Suites on Yale Avenue. I'll ask someone at the hotel where the Safeway is and maybe it want be to far from the hotel.

I'll also try to pick up a street map of Seattle when we get to the hotel. Most hotels have them so hopefully the Marriott will have one.

Thanks,

Marcy

Maryjane:

There is a corner store a block away from the Marriott on Yale St. that should carrying Pepsi products or if you don't mind catching a bus which cost about $1.50 you can ride the #8 up to Capital Hill to the Safeway, make sure you ask for a transfer so you can use it again on your way back to your hotel. You would catch the bus on Denny Way and head up the hill which goes over I-5 let the driver know that you want to get off at E. John St and 15th Ave E. Across the street from the bus stop will be a Safeway. Your return bus stop should be across the street from where you got off and it should take you back close to where you got on the bus.

Or you can also take same bus and get off at Broadway and E. John and there is a Safeway and QFC about 3 blocks down Broadway.

If you take the free shuttle from your hotel to Westlake, you'll be right in the heart of the shopping district. There are two malls in downtown Seattle, Westlake Center and Pacific Place. There are several restaurants on the top floor of Pacific Place, and a food court on the top floor of Westlake Center.

There is a Bartell Drugs (like a Rite-Aid) on the corner of 5th & Olive, it's attached to the building that Nordstrom's is in, across the street from Westlake Center. They sell all kinds of snacks and drinks. Also, in the Pike Place Market area, there's a nice grocery/deli across the street from the main market building that I think sells Pepsi products, and there used to be a very small grocery store in the market itself, I think it's downstairs but I just can't remember. I'd just ask any of the fish-throwing guys or any of the other vendors where you can pick up a case of Diet Mountain Dew, I'm sure they'd know.

As always my friends here at cruise critics comes up the answers and with all the help I need. I know it's crazy to be that worried about my Diet Mt Dew, but just gotta have one everyday.

You guys are Grrreat!!!!:)

Thanks

Marcy

^ digi-cams are great. you don't need to be an expert or have a young mind to be able to figure one out. you learn by doing. the nice thing about them is that you won't waste any film by figuring out how it works and you don't have to worry about loading and reloading film as your memory card should be able to hold lots of pics (i'd recommend a memory card with lots of space). :)

Thanks kimmeesook

I've been looking at digital camera's but their are so many brands, different # of pic, sizes of memory cards and prices to chose from that I can't decided which and what. Also I have concern about being able in the day light to see the display screen. I just am worried that if I buy one and take it on my vaction and the photo's are not good I'll be so disappointed.

Also do you know if the Star can print photo's from the memory card?

I have read on the board somewhere here about the scanners you go though at the airport and the ship that it can harm your memory card and you could lose your photos.

Thanks,

Marcy

Hi Marcy...

You are right, there are many different kinds of cameras. I am partial to most anything by Canon. I have a Canon Powershot and have a large memory card. I would suggest looking at Costco, Sam's Club, or BJ's to get your memory card as they run pretty good sales.

Even during the daylight, you are able to see the display screen. They are bright enough that you should not have any problems. If by chance you do have problems looking at the screen, you can always take pics by looking through the lens as you would a film-slide camera.

I honestly think the pics are better on a digi-cam... AND you are able to crop, enlarge, reduce, and edit your digi-cam pics while with film pics you can't very easily. I don't honestly think you would be disappointed, but really it is about comfort. Do what you think will be most comfortable for you. There is nothing wrong with taking the camera you have now and I would rather see you use it comfortably and take good pics vs. having a digi-cam and being afraid to use it.

I have no idea if Star can print photos from the ship, I am assuming that if they do, it will be quite costly. Scanners will not damage your memory card to my knowledge. I've done much traveling with my digi-cam and have never had problems like I have had with film. My brother is a professional photographer and said the same thing... no problems.

Good luck with your decision. I know it is an important one, cuz pics and memories are all we will have as momentos from our journeys. :)

Thanks kimmeesook

I've been looking at digital camera's but their are so many brands, different # of pic, sizes of memory cards and prices to chose from that I can't decided which and what. Also I have concern about being able in the day light to see the display screen. I just am worried that if I buy one and take it on my vaction and the photo's are not good I'll be so disappointed.

Also do you know if the Star can print photo's from the memory card?

I have read on the board somewhere here about the scanners you go though at the airport and the ship that it can harm your memory card and you could lose your photos.

Thanks,

Marcy

Thank you again so much for all the information.

I'm going to go this week-end take my time and study and try out the camera's a the store and then try and make my mind up. So wish me luck. I feel better now after you saying that I shouldn't have a problem with seeing the display.

Also your right after the day of photo taking I can delete or keep what I like and then as you say what I don't like and delete will then free up more space on the memory card. I also glad to know the the scanners at the airport and the ship will not hurt or damage the memory card.

Again thanks so much for taking the time to help me out here.

Thanks,

Marcy:)

We have a Canon with an extra memory card. We usually end up taking about 200-300 pictures and as you said the nice thing about digital is if you don't like the way your shot came out you can delete it and take it over. We always go to Costco and have them printed, usually runs about $40-$50 and they come out very nice.

Archived