Transatlantic in February Weather

Hello,

I am taking my first Transatlantic in February from Miami to London with a stop in Azores/Portugal. I am at a total loss about how and what to pack for the weather? Can anyone who has cruised this route in February provide some help and guidance?

Thanks so much!

We sailed the Norwegian Joy transatlantic this last February. Our route was the reverse of yours, sailing from Southampton to Miami. We didn't have any port stops, but we did sail to Ponta Delgada for a medical disembarkation. We followed a southerly route to avoid low-pressure systems across the North Atlantic. The temps were cool, but not as cold as I had expected and prepared for. Highs were in the upper 50s to low 60s for the 11-day crossing, warming the further south we went. The last couple of days were mild and temps were close to the 70s. We had a mix of sunny, foggy, and rainy days, with a consistent wind of ±50 knots. Sea conditions were rough with the Atlantic swell at 10 meters on most days, sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

Being a mostly indoor cruise, I wore shorts and flip-flops every day. Indoor temps were a little cool for me, but a hoodie was enough. I did pack jeans and wool socks though in case we were able to enjoy the outdoor areas. When we left home to go to Southampton it was snowing, so I had a bubble jacket and beanie. We fully expected this crossing to be cold and rough, and it was not as bad as we prepared for. If we sail the Bliss next February from Southampton to Miami, I will prepare the same and hope for fair weather.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2024 at 6:51 AM, sicness4x4 said:

We sailed the Norwegian Joy transatlantic this last February. Our route was the reverse of yours, sailing from Southampton to Miami. We didn't have any port stops, but we did sail to Ponta Delgada for a medical disembarkation. We followed a southerly route to avoid low-pressure systems across the North Atlantic. The temps were cool, but not as cold as I had expected and prepared for. Highs were in the upper 50s to low 60s for the 11-day crossing, warming the further south we went. The last couple of days were mild and temps were close to the 70s. We had a mix of sunny, foggy, and rainy days, with a consistent wind of ±50 knots. Sea conditions were rough with the Atlantic swell at 10 meters on most days, sometimes higher, sometimes lower.

Being a mostly indoor cruise, I wore shorts and flip-flops every day. Indoor temps were a little cool for me, but a hoodie was enough. I did pack jeans and wool socks though in case we were able to enjoy the outdoor areas. When we left home to go to Southampton it was snowing, so I had a bubble jacket and beanie. We fully expected this crossing to be cold and rough, and it was not as bad as we prepared for. If we sail the Bliss next February from Southampton to Miami, I will prepare the same and hope for fair weather.

Thank you so much. This is very helpful.