Cruise insurance by total cost or per-person fare

Is it important to use each person's exact cruise fare rather than the trip total cost when buying cruise insurance? We have a 3rd and 4th person deal where my kids are around $500 each but my husband and I are thousands each. Some of the broker websites just ask me for total cost. But when I go to the insurance company's direct site, some (IMG LX for example) want fare per person. If I put exact fare per person, the total cost of insurance is higher than if I put the total fare divided by four people in. Does it matter whether I use exact cost per person or total cost? Thanks!

5 hours ago, chloe77 said:

Is it important to use each person's exact cruise fare rather than the trip total cost when buying cruise insurance? We have a 3rd and 4th person deal where my kids are around $500 each but my husband and I are thousands each. Some of the broker websites just ask me for total cost. But when I go to the insurance company's direct site, some (IMG LX for example) want fare per person. If I put exact fare per person, the total cost of insurance is higher than if I put the total fare divided by four people in. Does it matter whether I use exact cost per person or total cost? Thanks!

Hi chloe77,

I only know of a few plans that will pay your full Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption claim for a covered reason if you average the trip cost between all of you.

I wrote this on Feb 27, 2008 and it's still correct:

How To Correctly Quote a Travel Insurance Plan

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/how-to-correctly-quote-a-travel-insurance-plan/

I hope this helps you,

Steve Dasseos

5 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi chloe77,

I only know of a few plans that will pay your full Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption claim for a covered reason if you average the trip cost between all of you.

I wrote this on Feb 27, 2008 and it's still correct:

How To Correctly Quote a Travel Insurance Plan

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/how-to-correctly-quote-a-travel-insurance-plan/

I hope this helps you,

Steve Dasseos

10 hours ago, chloe77 said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The only comment that I have as someone that has claimed and received back a significant amount of money for an unforeseen medical event that caused a cancelation is don't skimp on the insurance.  If you are one that wants to insure your trip, don't look to save a few hundred dollars.  We always do what Steve suggests above and insure per person cost - the only saving grace for us as a couple is we are the same cost so we do take the total cost and divide by two.

Very good blog post Steve!  I was not so aware of this before reading this.  I just wish that you sold insurance in Canada!  

• Like 1