Will we need passports?

The plan is to take a southbound cruise from Anchorage to Vancouver and board an Amtrak train to Portland. This is a last minute plan and my wife and I are U.S citizens who have never had a passport but do have original birth certificates, drivers licenses. Will we need a passport since we are not flying in or out of Canada?

Unless there have been recent changes that I have missed, valid passports, passport cards, and NEXUS or FAST cards satisfy the marine entry requirements for US citizens. Original birth certificates don't meet the requirements, while enhanced drivers licenses are acceptable if issued by a limited number of states, excluding Georgia. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pretty sure if you don't have a passport (and have never had one) you don't have a nexus - so that's not terribly useful advice.   

The OP will need a passport to enter Canada on the cruise ship.   From the Canada.ca website

Lawful permanent residents of the U.S.

As of April 26, 2022, lawful permanent residents of the United States must show these documents for all methods of travel to Canada:

The OP is going to have to bite the bullet and have a passport to cross the border from Canada to the US.

Edited by Djsmrs