Lofoten Norway Sail Away

rjp50

We will be on the Into The Midnight Sun itinerary this summer.  I recently made dinner reservations for the specialty restaurants that include a 6 PM time for the Chef's Table on the evening that we are scheduled to sail away from the Lofoten Islands at the same time.  After making the reservations it occurred to me that perhaps we would be missing some great scenery as we leave port.  Can anyone comment on what we will be missing?  Would we be better off changing the reservation to 7 or 7:30 or perhaps a different night?

Secondly, if a change is recommended, how do I go about doing it?  I know I can go into the reservation system and cancel my existing reservation, but, until I do so I can't see what my options are.  I'm afraid of canceling the reservation and then find no suitable replacement time and then not being able to go back and reestablish the original reservation.  Is this something that customer service would be able to do for me?

1 hour ago, rjp50 said:

We will be on the Into The Midnight Sun itinerary this summer.  I recently made dinner reservations for the specialty restaurants that include a 6 PM time for the Chef's Table on the evening that we are scheduled to sail away from the Lofoten Islands at the same time.  After making the reservations it occurred to me that perhaps we would be missing some great scenery as we leave port.  Can anyone comment on what we will be missing?  Would we be better off changing the reservation to 7 or 7:30 or perhaps a different night?

Secondly, if a change is recommended, how do I go about doing it?  I know I can go into the reservation system and cancel my existing reservation, but, until I do so I can't see what my options are.  I'm afraid of canceling the reservation and then find no suitable replacement time and then not being able to go back and reestablish the original reservation.  Is this something that customer service would be able to do for me?

We had a sailaway from Lofoten at 6 PM in July.  It really was incredibly spectacular!  But again it could depend on weather for you.  If it rained, not so much.  Sailing out, the best views were on the starboard side.  We sat in the Explorers Lounge and watched, and then had a late (8 PM) dinner.    

Perhaps you wait until onboard and see which menu it is before you make any changes.  And check the weather forecast as you get closer.  That's what I would do.  Keep your time for now and be flexible when you board.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We had a sailaway from Lofoten at 6 PM in July.  It really was incredibly spectacular!  But again it could depend on weather for you.  If it rained, not so much.  Sailing out, the best views were on the starboard side.  We sat in the Explorers Lounge and watched, and then had a late (8 PM) dinner.    

Perhaps you wait until onboard and see which menu it is before you make any changes.  And check the weather forecast as you get closer.  That's what I would do.  Keep your time for now and be flexible when you board.

Thanks.  I was a bit surprised how many of the reservations were already taken.  We have a PV so have priority over most of the ship and on the first day that the reservation window opened and within the first half hour, there were some nights that nothing was available in either specialty restaurant until 8 or 8:30.  With that being the case I wonder if there will be any options available if we wait until we are onboard and just a few days away from the night that we want.  Is it possible that they hold a batch of tables each night for reservations made while onboard?

2 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Is it possible that they hold a batch of tables each night for reservations made while onboard?

Yes—my understanding is that they hold maybe half to book onboard. Many threads on CC discussing ease of booking specialty restaurants onboard because people cancel and change all the time, especially once the CT menus are known. We always do this with no problem. You can check as soon as you board through the Voyager app, the TV in your room, through the scheduler at the WC (port side desk I think), or at the restaurants when they open in the evening.

15 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Thanks.  I was a bit surprised how many of the reservations were already taken.  We have a PV so have priority over most of the ship and on the first day that the reservation window opened and within the first half hour, there were some nights that nothing was available in either specialty restaurant until 8 or 8:30.  With that being the case I wonder if there will be any options available if we wait until we are onboard and just a few days away from the night that we want.  Is it possible that they hold a batch of tables each night for reservations made while onboard?

You will not have an issue.  Viking withholds 50-60 % of the tables at the specialty restaurants for booking on the ship.  So on the day you board, immediately check availability and make the reservations you wish at Manfredi's and/or Chef's Table.  Plus, then you will know what menu is on what day at CT, as well as have a better idea of your personal schedules.  I would, however, not wait beyond the first few hours of being on board, as many of the veteran Viking Cruisers I know, including us, use this strategy.

2 hours ago, TravelerTeacherRetired said:

We are in DV3 and booked the 2specialty restaurants. Not sure I really want the later 8:30 one but don’t want to cancel and then have nothing.

Are there any chances of getting a second visit to one of the restaurants when we are on board? 

Many threads on this discussion, but short answer:

Yes - 100 % chance you'll find a 2nd reservation when you get onboard.  Likely the one you want.  Read my post just above the one you wrote.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was just on my first Viking cruise and were in a V2. We could pretty easily get reservations on the ship for the Chef's Table but were told that Manfredi's was booked for the whole cruise. We did eventually get in but it took a lot of persistence and a bit of stubbornness. 

30 minutes ago, anaky1229 said:

I was just on my first Viking cruise and were in a V2. We could pretty easily get reservations on the ship for the Chef's Table but were told that Manfredi's was booked for the whole cruise. We did eventually get in but it took a lot of persistence and a bit of stubbornness. 

We have observed (Star in December and Orion currently) that Manfredi’s has become much busier than in the past. You can still get tables, but it requires a lot more diligence and a bit of luck. 

Chef’s Table is noticeably easier to reserve. If you sail again, stay with the day before / day of queries and be flexible on your time. Hope you enjoyed yourself. 🍺🥌

We were on this itinerary last summer.  I do not recall details of the sailaway, but Lofoten is spectacular.  I would highly recommend seeing as much of the island as you can during your visit!  We had perfect weather and took a private tour and we were so glad we did!