Absence of Close Captions/Subtitles

MV21

We are just off our transatlantic on Vista and I must say I was disappointed to discover that none of the films on board had subtitles. Indeed there doesn't even appear to be a way to view subtitles on the TV.  I am hearing impaired, or as my kids say, "a deaf git", so I wear hearing aids. When watching TV at home the need for subtitles to assist me is very important.  When on the Vista I was careful not to turn the TV up too loud (especially after reading about all the problems with noise between cabins) but it effectively meant that I couldn't really make out the dialogue.

It just seems a pretty large oversight on a new ship not to have included this facility, especially when virtually every film available on our flight to Miami had Close captions/subtitles in English. And a fair few in other languages as well.

I suspect this omission is making the soundproof issue worse! 

2 hours ago, MV21 said:

We are just off our transatlantic on Vista and I must say I was disappointed to discover that none of the films on board had subtitles. Indeed there doesn't even appear to be a way to view subtitles on the TV.  I am hearing impaired, or as my kids say, "a deaf git", so I wear hearing aids. When watching TV at home the need for subtitles to assist me is very important.  When on the Vista I was careful not to turn the TV up too loud (especially after reading about all the problems with noise between cabins) but it effectively meant that I couldn't really make out the dialogue.

It just seems a pretty large oversight on a new ship not to have included this facility, especially when virtually every film available on our flight to Miami had Close captions/subtitles in English. And a fair few in other languages as well.

I suspect this omission is making the soundproof issue worse! 

Interesting.  When I sailed the Vista last year, the triangle button on the TV remote activated the captions.

• Like 2

Oh my. What doofus I am.

If it worked for you tigerfan75 I'm sure it would work for me.

Oh well I must remember this when we are back on the Vista next year 🙄

3 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Did it ever, during the duration of the entire cruise, come to the OP’s mind to query their room attendant? 🙄

Yes of course it did. Also to ask at reception, but I was on a cruise and never quite got round to it 🙂

I think the my level of 'doofusness' has been acknowledged but thanks for your contribution, most helpful 👍 😉

• Haha 4