isk on a currency card

We've already purchased DKK, NOK and other currencies on our Wise card, but cannot purchased ISK from Australia. Can anyone from Aus suggest a card where we can purchase ISK so we won't be hit with fees every time we buy something? I've heard that cash is not really a viable alternative as many vendors don't use it and can't give change. However. we'll still exchange some cash for kroner.

On 4/22/2024 at 3:48 PM, kazganymede said:

We've already purchased DKK, NOK and other currencies on our Wise card, but cannot purchased ISK from Australia. Can anyone from Aus suggest a card where we can purchase ISK so we won't be hit with fees every time we buy something? I've heard that cash is not really a viable alternative as many vendors don't use it and can't give change. However. we'll still exchange some cash for kroner.

5 trips to Iceland so far and the only 2 times I've needed cash were for a pay toilet, where there was a basket and a sign asking for cash in 5 or 6 different currencies (AUD wasn't one of them) and once when we bought tomatoes from a tray in front of someone's house and there was an honor box.

We use our credit card for everything, we have one with no foreign fees which is great, but even if you have to pay 2-3% extra, the convenience is worth it and not worrying about adding funds or being stuck with cash at the end of the trip (we unloaded the rest of our ISK on unnecessary stuff at the airport and didn't get any on our last visit)

• Like 1

Thanks Nitemare, but we don't have a credit card and strongly favour cash. At least with cash you know how much you are spending, whereas with a card you are never aware of all the extra charges which can be considerable. The Wise card is very useful and allows you to purchase other currencies, but unfortunately they do not sell ISK. Looks like we'll be copping fees on every tiny transaction.

On 4/25/2024 at 1:45 PM, Nitemare said:

5 trips to Iceland so far and the only 2 times I've needed cash were for a pay toilet, where there was a basket and a sign asking for cash in 5 or 6 different currencies (AUD wasn't one of them) and once when we bought tomatoes from a tray in front of someone's house and there was an honor box.

Do you remember if the pay toilets would take USD?

1 minute ago, Ellis1138 said:

Do you remember if the pay toilets would take USD?

If there is a basket they would take USD.  If it is a slot, then local only 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Nitemare said:

If there is a basket they would take USD.  If it is a slot, then local only 

We're coming in via cruise ship and the first port is Akureyri, but we have a cruise ship excursion right after docking. I don't know when I'll be able to get Isk coins. The pay toilet thing frightens me the most about this trip. (I have some gastrointestinal issues and bladder problems.)

On 4/28/2024 at 10:40 AM, Ellis1138 said:

We're coming in via cruise ship and the first port is Akureyri, but we have a cruise ship excursion right after docking. I don't know when I'll be able to get Isk coins. The pay toilet thing frightens me the most about this trip. (I have some gastrointestinal issues and bladder problems.)

Our first port is also Akyreyri and I sympathise with you about the anxiety you are suffering from not knowing where the nearest toilet lies. My problems have improved with probiotics.  The pay toilet thing makes the situation even more stressful if you don't have any coins!

• Like 1

You might want to ask about toilets on TripAdvisor's Iceland forum.  I haven't been in nearly 5 years -- back then, all the gas station toilets were free, as were many others.  It was mostly in remote areas that you had to pay.  But you will get current and more specific info there from folks who have visited more recently

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 7:40 PM, Ellis1138 said:

You can always buy some from guest services to have for the toilets, etc. Also, you can get some at an ATM after we dock. 

1 hour ago, okiedrifters said:

You can always buy some from guest services to have for the toilets, etc. Also, you can get some at an ATM after we dock. 

I thought NCL ships were no longer going to do currency exchange on board. I can always check with Guest Services when I get on ship. 

The trouble with the ATM thing is the same: We dock and I immediately have to be at the shore excursion. No time to run off to a bank and back.