Need New York Advise

Hey all 

Booked cruise out of New Jersey for march 2025 , have just booked flight to JFK for 4 days before cruise , I was hoping for some hotel advise for our stay in the city , nothing super fancy just clean and close to stuff , it’s our first time to NY , so hoping for some sightseeing and a show , maybe a comedy club , Central Park , monks diner ect… 

thanks in advance all 

10 hours ago, Funbobby68 said:

have just booked flight to JFK for 4 days before cruise

What's done is done but EWR would have been the much closer airport for Cape Liberty in NJ and LGA would have been closer to Manhattan than JFK. If there is a way to change to either of chose without penalty your overall trip will most likely be a little smoother and less traffic ridden. 

I was hoping for some hotel advise for our stay in the city , nothing super fancy just clean and close to stuff , it’s our first time to NY

You'll want to look at Midtown Manhattan-- this will be close to most of the major sights you'll want to see and you allude to here. There are literally thousands of hotels in Manhattan so its hard to give specific advice without a little more info from you. "nothing super fancy just clean and close to stuff" can sometimes be $200-300 and can also be $400-500 all dependent on specific dates. 

A specific budget would help folks here make some more pointed recs. 

so hoping for some sightseeing and a show

Consider TKTS Booth in Times Square for same day tickets at some steep discounts for Broadway shows. 

monks diner ect…

It's named Tom's in real life. Its better than average. I prefer Waverly Diner but its in a different part of town. Lexington Candy Shop is also a great one if you want to see a vintage diner/soda shop. Pastrami Queen on the UES is not a diner but its a great alternative to going down to Katz Delicatessen (which is actually worth trekking down to). 

• Like 1

For the four nights would like to be under 1500 Canadian on the hotel , so about 1250 ish usd , I know it’s not a lot of time to take in everything NY has to offer , so will definitely be a whirl wind tour . Could probably change air ports without issue , out flight would currently land at 6:30 , figured 1 hour to be out of terminal, so thought traffic might be lighter 

I have no point of reference, as never been before 

18 minutes ago, Funbobby68 said:

so about 1250 ish usd , I know it’s not a lot of time to take in everything NY has to offer , so will definitely be a whirl wind tour .

About $300 usd a night will be on the low end for Manhattan. I would focus on mid tier chains like Hilton Garden Inn, Residence Inn, Doubletree, Hampton Inn, etc. Keep in mind that hotel rooms in Manhattan run relatively small. 

If you have points with one of the major chains this would be a great opportunity to use them to upgrade into a 4 or 5 star which usually sell for hundreds of dollars more per night than your budget. 

We always stay at Michealanglo hotel , fantastic location, huge rooms but not cheap. I would look at hotels.com , loads of great restaurants my favorite is Becco on 46st between 8th and 9th , you can get dinner for two and a bottle of wine for a little over a hundred. Another inexpensive fun place is Ellen’s stardust diner , the waiters and waitresses are out of work broadway singers and dancers and performer all day and night while you’re eating. Can get half price Broadway tickets at Tkts locations, you can browse that online. Lots of tv shows have free tickets like Steven Colbert.