Whales?

HappyWife0505

We’re really looking forward to our cruise on May 18! Does anyone know a good website to track the whale migration? Is anyone aware of whale sightings this season? We booked whale watching in Juneau and have our fingers crossed that it’s not too soon. Thank you!

To the best of my knowledge the whales don't use travel agents or migration planners like cruisers do but here is what I found when I googled it:

What is the best month to see whales in Alaska?

Everything You Need to Know about Whales in Alaska

Gray whales are the first to arrive, typically in April when they're often spotted off of Seward. By May, we start to see more orcas, then humpback whales come June. Alaska's peak whale season is considered to be May through September, and it's during this time that the boat tours operate.
  • Haha 1

You will not see gray whales in Juneau.  The humpbacks who don’t spend the winter in Juneau start arriving in May.  Don’t expect a great show since they haven’t eaten in months and when they arrive they are feeding pretty much 24/7.  Lots of lunge feeding but not much bubble net feeding.

Posted (edited)

While not Juneau - on May 16th in Hoonah last summer, we had bubble feeding. I hadn't planned on taking pictures but did snap a few a little too late (they are not great). I always go whale watching when in Alaska in May and am rarely disappointed. We did not see Orcas last year (in Juneau or Hoonah).

image.thumb.jpeg.410924cd64aac9da554eaaac9077a90c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.535fdb01d30a68acfaf07de4a653779e.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5f735d57b2f1e7eec3337abe01bb5dfc.jpeg

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1