Fantastica experience one free change on Virtuosa.

Stokie33

I’m looking to change a cruise we have booked in Sept this year, so over 135 days away, have paid a £200 deposit and looking to change from a 14 night cruise to a 2 night cruise as can no longer get the time off work.

Being told by our TA that we can only change it to a cruise of the same cost or higher even though we are outside the 63 days.

Has anyone got experience of doing the one free change, as we’ve never had to before.

Did think of walking away from the deposit but they are saying we have to pay £50 for the privilege even though we weren’t made aware of it when booking.

TIA

They are correct that the free change is excluding reimbursement if the new cruise is lower cost.  Below are the T&C:

FANTASTICA, AUREA, YACHT CLUB: One Free of Charge*

*Any change to a date that is more than 90 calendar days from the original departure date will result in a fee of £50 per person, applicable to all experiences.

Any subsequent departure date change will result in a fee of £50 per person.

It is understood that, in addition to the administration fee mentioned above, if the price of the New Holiday Package is higher than that of the Original Holiday Package, the difference in price as well as in insurance premium will be borne exclusively by the Passenger.

On the other hand if the price of the New Holiday Package is lower than that of the Original Holiday Package, no reimbursement will be due to the Passenger.

For the cancelation you would just lose the deposit to MSC if you cancel more than 62 days before the cruise.  I suspect the £50 is the cancellation charge from your TA - the TA I use in the UK charges a £50 cancellation fee in addition to the loss of deposit.

The 63 days part is only relevant for cancellations, you can use your right to substitute a new holiday package for the original holiday package right up to 30 days before departure.

The new package has to depart later than your original package and has to be within 90 days of the original departure date, if not then there is a £50 charge.

Similarly, if the new package costs more than the original package then you have to pay the extra amount, but if it is lower then you don't get a reduction.

All this is in the 'Standard Booking Terms' that you would have received when you made the reservation, if your TA did not pass them on to you then your argument is with the TA...

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Stokie33 said:

Did think of walking away from the deposit but they are saying we have to pay £50 for the privilege even though we weren’t made aware of it when booking.

That part sounds more like a charge from the TA then one from MSC...

I vowed 3 years ago to stay away from this TA and got drawn back to them but definitely won’t again.

The answer I’m trying to find is if you move to a cheaper cruise before final payment do you pay the full cost of the original cruise or do you have to pay the full cost of the original cruise as to me the terms above mention money paid, I’ve only paid the deposit so far