Sanctuary Collection on Sun Princess

KLM3164

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Hope it works out for you given your substantial investment.  This is Princess' first foray into becoming more family friendly (with Park 19) and the ship within a ship concept (with the sun deck and lounge).  

I hope their treatment of suite guests reflects the significant premium paid over non-suite Sanctuary Class cabins.

It's several months out but we'll have done the Yacht Club, Retreat, and hopefully Haven this year (though that one may end being just a standard balcony) before then so we'll have a good basis of comparison to do a good live thread. 

I also wouldn't be surprised to see them lower the prices of suites between now and then.

Edited by FamilyAtSea.travel

2 hours ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I hope their treatment of suite guests reflects the significant premium paid over non-suite Sanctuary Class cabins.

You bring up a good point… I’m guessing that when Yacht Club and Haven first came out, with their non-suite alternative cabins, people had the same concerns. It would appear that Princess is following their models, rather than those of Celebrity or Cunard, which have no option for a lesser category cabin in their Retreat or Grill class. 

10 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

You bring up a good point… I’m guessing that when Yacht Club and Haven first came out, with their non-suite alternative cabins, people had the same concerns. It would appear that Princess is following their models, rather than those of Celebrity or Cunard, which have no option for a lesser category cabin in their Retreat or Grill class. 

What do you mean? All YC rooms on MSC are in the YC.

They have interior staterooms, but they're all classified as suites. 

10 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

What do you mean? All YC rooms on MSC are in the YC.

They have interior staterooms, but they're all classified as suites. 

Maybe that’s why it wasn’t a problem then, since they were always called suites from the onset of YC. Here you had two months of sailings taking place before the DO and reserve minis were announced as included in the SWS (ship within a ship) designation. However, if passengers knew all along these categories would be be included, there wouldn’t be this blowback as people would know what they were getting into when they booked. I suppose some could argue there was a suggestion when DO descriptions started showing the word “signature” but that only caused a lot of speculative discussions, far short of clear notice.  

3 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Maybe that’s why it wasn’t a problem then, since they were always called suites from the onset of YC. Here you had two months of sailings taking place before the DO and reserve minis were announced as included in the SWS (ship within a ship) designation. However, if passengers knew all along these categories would be be included, there wouldn’t be this blowback as people would know what they were getting into when they booked. I suppose some could argue there was a suggestion when DO descriptions started showing the word “signature” but that only caused a lot of speculative discussions, far short of clear notice.  

I think a big difference there is that MSC's Yacht Club, unlike all the other lines (including NCL's Haven), have all of their YC rooms in a true ship-in-a-ship, exclusive space, so they can't just change the designation of a room and call it a "suite".

Princess is simply changing the designation of their staterooms. 

The YC also has less than 5% of the guests onboard sharing the exclusive YC spaces.

On the Sun Princess, it's going to be over 10% of rooms sharing the space, so it's seems reasonable to assume they will be more crowded. 

With that said, we booked our Vista Suite last week knowing about these changes and still paid the premium anyways (as I'm sure many others will). Whether we pay that premium a second time is to be determined. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

"All YC rooms on MSC are in the YC."

Meraviglia and ships of the same class have duplex suites well outside the YC perimeter on decks 9 and 10. As I understand it, these were originally Aurea suites, but they were "annexed" into YC.

The duplices are back in the World ships and they look even better. Compare the videos.

Here is video of the earlier version. 
https://youtu.be/WwDbjk4TDRg

Here is a duplex on World Europa, now inside the YC on decks 16 and 18.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coOjBChiCWs

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, no1talks said:

Meraviglia and ships of the same class have duplex suites well outside the YC perimeter on decks 9 and 10. As I understand it, these were originally Aurea suites, but they were "annexed" into YC.

The duplices are back in the World ships and they look even better. Compare the videos.

Here is video of the earlier version. 
https://youtu.be/WwDbjk4TDRg

Here is a duplex on World Europa, now inside the YC on decks 16 and 18.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coOjBChiCWs

I was not aware of that... Thanks for correcting me!

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 1:44 PM, ChiefMateJRK said:

My last two cruises, I just walked up to the desk, told them how many I wanted to buy and signed a sheet of paper.  I didn't fill out anything.  It took about 60 seconds.

20 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I think a big difference there is that MSC's Yacht Club, unlike all the other lines (including NCL's Haven), have all of their YC rooms in a true ship-in-a-ship, exclusive space, so they can't just change the designation of a room and call it a "suite".

Princess is simply changing the designation of their staterooms. 

The YC also has less than 5% of the guests onboard sharing the exclusive YC spaces.

On the Sun Princess, it's going to be over 10% of rooms sharing the space, so it's seems reasonable to assume they will be more crowded. 

With that said, we booked our Vista Suite last week knowing about these changes and still paid the premium anyways (as I'm sure many others will). Whether we pay that premium a second time is to be determined. 

On the Prima and Viva, NCL's newest ships, all of the Haven cabins are in one area with controlled access and even private elevators.  Check out the set up.  We were on the Prima and loved it.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 2:47 PM, capriccio said:

Some reserve minis were "promoted".

I had posted in a different thread that the "brilliance" of the Reserve Mini-Suite is that Princess can move the numbers around any way they want, cruise to cruise.  If a "regular" Mini-Suite and a "Signature" Mini-Suite are identical in all physical respects except for perks that reside outside of the cabin itself, Princess can wave a magic wand and increase or decrease the number of Mini-Suites that qualify for the external benefits based on demand (and to some degree, capacity).  So Mini-Suites can be "promoted" or "demoted" cruise to cruise.  Not saying that Princess is doing this yet, but the option is there. 

• Like 7