Virtuosa v Symphony OTS v Seaside

amurray88

Hi All,

I've been on Symphony OTS and Seaside before. Considering doing Virtuosa this year. Does anyone has any thoughts on the main, key differences? 

We're sailing with a baby this time (12 months old at time of sailing) - we were on a cruise in January with him (Azura). That ship felt too different to ask for comparisons, but if you have any then please let me know.

Thanks!

Done a wee bit of research and found that Virtuosa compared to Seaside...

holds an extra 2200 passengers, in 1 less deck, with less jacuzzi's, 14 fewer lifts and no minigolf?

Without joking, I am struggling to see what the Virtuosa has in its favour? 

We have been on Symphony, Seaview , sister ship to Seaside and Virtuosa.

If travelling with a baby I would go for the cruise without flights and no limit on luggage .

No pizzeria??? MSC have the best pizza at sea and is available in the buffet from  lunchtime to the small hours . Love MSC pizza. 

Symphony has the best theatre shows though Virtuosa's are short and sweet in the main theatre,  ideal if you have a small child with a short attention span plus there are 2 shows for an extra small fee in the Carousel lounge, if you pre book in your planner it is half price. 

Virtuosa has a Galleria similar to Royal promenade but there are no free snack places on it like Cafe promenade , all speciality restaurants and bars but we love it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

We have been on Symphony, Seaview , sister ship to Seaside and Virtuosa.

If travelling with a baby I would go for the cruise without flights and no limit on luggage .

No pizzeria??? MSC have the best pizza at sea and is available in the buffet from  lunchtime to the small hours . Love MSC pizza. 

Symphony has the best theatre shows though Virtuosa's are short and sweet in the main theatre,  ideal if you have a small child with a short attention span plus there are 2 shows for an extra small fee in the Carousel lounge, if you pre book in your planner it is half price. 

Virtuosa has a Galleria similar to Royal promenade but there are no free snack places on it like Cafe promenade , all speciality restaurants and bars but we love it.

We did Azura in January that required a 4 and a half hour train to London, an overnight then a 4 hour flight 🤪 we're used to the no pain no gain approach... although we were able to take loads of luggage which was great.

This time we would be substituting a flight for a LONG drive to Southampton. We have family in Cardiff so would probably try and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Interesting comparison you make... for me, it's going to take something very very special to beat Symphony. I don't really want it to beat Symphony, I just want to know that it'll fit our needs. 

Azura in January was nothing special but it was perfect for us. He was among 4 or 5 other babies onboard and that was it for under 18's. We realise during July it's going to be a different ballgame. Just saw horrific pictures of queues and I think that would kill us!

Never been on the other two, but currently won't see past Virtuosa.   Pre-covid I would have laughed at the thought of the size of her.   Now been on three trips since (+ one on Euribia), three more booked.   Wouldn't book on any ship during school holidays.

Great pizza.

Always manage to find somewhere quiet, aside from the balcony.

Virtuosa has developed some "British-isms" since her arrival in 2021.   In this, they include the new Abba show (even though they're Swedish!).

The Market Place buffet.   One learns quickly to avoid peak times and sit near the front or back (everyone congregates around the food .... it ain't disappearing!).

And Hola.   A great specialty restaurant.

Remember that Virtuosa's maximum number includes all bunk beds being occupied too, which they often aren't.

1 hour ago, amurray88 said:

We did Azura in January that required a 4 and a half hour train to London, an overnight then a 4 hour flight 🤪 we're used to the no pain no gain approach... although we were able to take loads of luggage which was great.

This time we would be substituting a flight for a LONG drive to Southampton. We have family in Cardiff so would probably try and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Interesting comparison you make... for me, it's going to take something very very special to beat Symphony. I don't really want it to beat Symphony, I just want to know that it'll fit our needs. 

Azura in January was nothing special but it was perfect for us. He was among 4 or 5 other babies onboard and that was it for under 18's. We realise during July it's going to be a different ballgame. Just saw horrific pictures of queues and I think that would kill us!

We did New year 2023 on Azura , 14 nights. The ship served a purpose as we like to go away either over Christmas or New year. I wouldn't go back on Azura though we like sister ship Ventura,  been on her 3 times and back again in December. We are not flying anymore and always do the coach down to Southampton from Bolton. No stress, someone else doing the driving,  once your cases go on the bus you don't touch them again and next see them outside your cabin door. We had a family with a baby on our New year Iona cruise. You don't have to worry about the size of your car boot snd can have 3 cases per person.

We have been on Virtuosa 3 times but we love MSC anyway and go on all their ships, last one was Euribia in March. Been on 9 ships eith MSC.

We are a lot older than yourself 😆 🤣.  Our grandson is 17 ! Will do anything for an easy life 😆

18 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

We did New year 2023 on Azura , 14 nights. The ship served a purpose as we like to go away either over Christmas or New year. I wouldn't go back on Azura though we like sister ship Ventura,  been on her 3 times and back again in December. We are not flying anymore and always do the coach down to Southampton from Bolton. No stress, someone else doing the driving,  once your cases go on the bus you don't touch them again and next see them outside your cabin door. We had a family with a baby on our New year Iona cruise. You don't have to worry about the size of your car boot snd can have 3 cases per person.

We have been on Virtuosa 3 times but we love MSC anyway and go on all their ships, last one was Euribia in March. Been on 9 ships eith MSC.

We are a lot older than yourself 😆 🤣.  Our grandson is 17 ! Will do anything for an easy life 😆

Were you still onboard on 4th Jan 2024?

1 hour ago, heatherb1958 said:

End of 2022 into the New year of 2023, we were on Iona for end of 2023 into 2024. 

Nice!

Well, we're booked up for Virtuosa now so onwards and upwards!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Nice!

Well, we're booked up for Virtuosa now so onwards and upwards!

Well done, good  choice. We love L'Atelier bar on the lower level of the Galleria for the cocktails and people watching.

We love the mezzanine level/outside pub for watching the parties on the Galleria though depending on time of year/weather yours could be on the pool deck,  White night for an example. 

The cabins are lovely unless you went for an Ocean view on deck 8 midships, too small with a baby, just big enough for 2 ! 

We like MSC as they still do traditional dining at set times . You'll know that from Seaside . 

Virtuosa is big but we never had a problem getting seats anywhere .

Have a fab cruise .

2 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

Well done, good  choice. We love L'Atelier bar on the lower level of the Galleria for the cocktails and people watching.

We love the mezzanine level/outside pub for watching the parties on the Galleria though depending on time of year/weather yours could be on the pool deck,  White night for an example. 

The cabins are lovely unless you went for an Ocean view on deck 8 midships, too small with a baby, just big enough for 2 ! 

We like MSC as they still do traditional dining at set times . You'll know that from Seaside . 

Virtuosa is big but we never had a problem getting seats anywhere .

Have a fab cruise .

Thank you lots ☺️ it's an inside cabin we've got but it'll do for us hopefully! We're used to a tight squeeze 

• Like 1