Flight to Edinburgh Changed What Would You Do?

16 minutes ago, scottie99 said:

As OP can I bring subject back to dilemma.

There is no other flight available from Sou to Scotland on Sunday 26.  

There is no easy train alternative ( def don’t want to change in London).   If we do change at Birmingham, there is only 12 mins between connections.  That seems tight.

The other point is my car would be at Edinburgh Airport.   We would then have to travel from city centre to airport to collect.

Loganair are being totally unhelpful.  This comes back to my question, can we get off Anthem in time to be at Sou airport for 8am.   The way things are working out, I feel we may have to chance it.

Will there be plenty of taxis at 7 ish?

Some hope of returning to the original reason for your thread, Scotty - we're in the middle of a theoretical ding-dong 😏

But a hopefully helpful post on its way in about 10 mins

JB 🙂

43 minutes ago, scottie99 said:

As OP can I bring subject back to dilemma.

There is no other flight available from Sou to Scotland on Sunday 26.  

There is no easy train alternative ( def don’t want to change in London).   If we do change at Birmingham, there is only 12 mins between connections.  That seems tight.

The other point is my car would be at Edinburgh Airport.   We would then have to travel from city centre to airport to collect.

Loganair are being totally unhelpful.  This comes back to my question, can we get off Anthem in time to be at Sou airport for 8am.   The way things are working out, I feel we may have to chance it.

Will there be plenty of taxis at 7 ish?

I think it comes down to your attitude to risk.

If Anthem’s on time and you’re among the first off, you’ll make it. But there’s very little room for manoeuvre and even a 30 minute delay in disembarking would scupper you.

I’d be minded to go for the 4pm flight. Yes, it’s a pain having to hang around Southampton but you don’t want to spend your whole cruise worrying about disembarkation day. And the 4pm flight would get you to EDI at roughly the same time as the train.

• Like 1

Scottie99:For our May 15th disembarkation at Southampton, we made the decision to take the train through Birmingham. We are giving up a half day of touring Edinburgh, but we have less time and higher expenses since we are just a few weeks away. The flights to Glasgow were all sold out, and we decided we didn't want to deal with London airports plus a train either. Not at all happy with Logan Air, but they agreed to refund our fares. I haven't seen a prompt email with that processing yet.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, John Bull said:

Some hope of returning to the original reason for your thread, Scotty - we're in the middle of a theoretical ding-dong 😏

But a hopefully helpful post on its way in about 10 mins

JB 🙂

Scotty.

By train it's more inconvenient for you because your date, 26th May, is a sunday and there are fewer services on a sunday.

The only option around 8am is the 8.26 at £93 and that goes via a cross-London change - I take the same negative attitude as you to that route

Altho it's an hour later the 9.15 via Birmingham is the obvious choice.

For that train the ridiculous ticketing shows the walk-up fare is £111 but the more-restricted Advance ticket is £202, Try explaining that @Globaliser  and @Cotswold Eagle 😃.

Split-ticketing  is also more-expensive& the Avanti West Coast route isn't an option. 

And Globaliser's £66 5-split ticketing probably won't work for your sunday date

All of which makes it simpler for you, Scotty - at Southampton Central station buy through tickets to Edinburgh for the 9.15 train  at £111.

Again, because the pricing makes no sense, can others please check that I haven't goofed.

.The direct tram from Edinburgh's Waverley station to the airport is frequent & inexpensive, and IIRC luggage should be no problem.

Or your rental agency may be able to switch your pick-up to a city centre location. 

But I still think a switch to the 4pm flight is the safest and easiest option.

Whatever you choose, don't delay in case the 4pm flight books out.

JB 🙂

Edited by John Bull

17 hours ago, John Bull said:

...and in Edinburgh give Greyfriars Bobby's nose a pat

Ahhhhhgh!!!  <<Tears hair out>>

Please don't touch Bobby's nose!  This crazy craze started just a few years ago.  The bronze patina gets stripped off and all those sweaty hands corrode the metal.  There's nothing 'lucky' about it and you'll be cursed by the good citizens of Edinburgh!

https://natpacker.com/save-bobbys-nose/

If you want some (ironic) luck visit David Hume's toe, or spit on the Heart of Midlothian which is said to mark the site of the condemned man's cell in the Old Tolbooth.

12 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

Ahhhhhgh!!!  <<Tears hair out>>

Please don't touch Bobby's nose!  This crazy craze started just a few years ago.  The bronze patina gets stripped off and all those sweaty hands corrode the metal.  There's nothing 'lucky' about it and you'll be cursed by the good citizens of Edinburgh!

https://natpacker.com/save-bobbys-nose/

If you want some (ironic) luck visit David Hume's toe, or spit on the Heart of Midlothian which is said to mark the site of the condemned man's cell in the Old Tolbooth.

😀😀😀

I originally wrote "say hi to Greyfriars.......", then I checked the web to whether it was Bobby or Bobbie and saw the protestations about wearing-out the little lad's nose.

So the devil in me changed it to "pat his nose" just to wind up the natives.

Seems I succeeded😛

And it does show how many folk get to know his story

All in fun 😏 

JB 🙂

• Like 1

I think I’ve made my decision.

The cost involved was never my consideration.  It seems anyway, there is no price advantage in paying for a train ticket in advance.

I will attempt to get to the airport before 8am.   If I don’t make it on time, I will go to train station at airport and buy 2 tickets to Edinburgh.  Worst scenario, I’m am out of pocket for £160-200 but will get home same day.

Thanks for all your input.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scottie99 said:

I think I’ve made my decision.

The cost involved was never my consideration.  It seems anyway, there is no price advantage in paying for a train ticket in advance.

I will attempt to get to the airport before 8am.   If I don’t make it on time, I will go to train station at airport and buy 2 tickets to Edinburgh.  Worst scenario, I’m am out of pocket for £160-200 but will get home same day.

Thanks for all your input.

Yes, excellent plan.🙂

You'll get to Edinburgh same-day because if Plan A doesn't work out the train timing and route via the airport/parkway plus no financial advantage in buying the train ticket in advance makes it an excellent Plan B. 

Your only financial risks are the taxi to the airport (something over £20) and the airfare if Plan A goes belly-up.

There should be taxis immediately available if you disembark early un-assisted, but if you want to be sure you can pre-book one https://westquaycars.com/ or https://radiotaxisonline.co.uk/ or https://door2doorcars.com/

I suggest for 7.15 - if you're off the ship a little earlier it'll probably already be there

Train due at 9.23 so you have plenty of time if Plan A fails. Coffee shop & snacks in the airport's small single terminal, more-substantial food upstairs.

Or coffee shop at the station

You'll see the train station on your left a few yards before the airport's small single terminal, The station ticket office (ensure that your ticket is via Birmingham New Street) & coffee shop on the opposite platform, which is the platform for your train.  (elevators on the platforms if you need).

Bon Voyage

JB 🙂