Power Chair Charging

Hi. 

I'm sailing with MSC, Norwegian Fjords. I'm a regular with MSC but it's the first time I've taken my power chair. Are there any restrictions on charging? I've got Aircraft safe lithium batteries. Can I just plug them in in my room and leave them? We're in a yacht club deluxe balcony suite. Not accessible. I can walk, just not very far as I'm waiting on pelvic Fusion surgery. Any other tips for crutches or electric chairs very welcome. Thanks in advance

Those newer MSC ships are the kind that you need your card in the slot inside the door to keep the power on.  If you need the batteries to charge while you are gone, you need to leave your card in the slot and tell your steward/butler not to remove it.  If your ship has the bracelets, this won’t be a problem.  If not, you can get a blank card from guest services, or maybe your concierge to leave in the slot.  My last cruise (not YC) I had to do that in order to keep the a/c from resetting to frigid every time I left the room.  EM

7 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Those newer MSC ships are the kind that you need your card in the slot inside the door to keep the power on.  If you need the batteries to charge while you are gone, you need to leave your card in the slot and tell your steward/butler not to remove it.  If your ship has the bracelets, this won’t be a problem.  If not, you can get a blank card from guest services, or maybe your concierge to leave in the slot.  My last cruise (not YC) I had to do that in order to keep the a/c from resetting to frigid every time I left the room.  EM

Thank you, I definitely hadn't thought about this. It's The Virtuosa so we will have bands as well as cards. I just know they can be funny about electronics on board and take away items. I wasnt sure if charging batteries were seen as a hazard.

Frankly, I would be very hesitant about leaving a lithium ion battery to charge unattended in your cabin.  I would contact MSC's special needs department to see if they allow lithium ion batteries, or whether they want gel cell ones.

We have never cruised with MSC but on other lines, we used to charge the chair overnight with no problems. Of course, you need to be aware of the limitations of your particular chair when you go out and about.

We have done the fjords though and Norway is very wheelchair friendly. We even went on the train at Flamm although my wife did have to transfer to one of their seats. The staff were very helpful..

40 minutes ago, Bob++ said:

We have never cruised with MSC but on other lines, we used to charge the chair overnight with no problems. Of course, you need to be aware of the limitations of your particular chair when you go out and about.

We have done the fjords though and Norway is very wheelchair friendly. We even went on the train at Flamm although my wife did have to transfer to one of their seats. The staff were very helpful..

This is very reassuring, thank you for your reply. I haven't got off the boat on my other cruises due too my mobility issues but I'm hoping I can, now I have the chair.

18 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Frankly, I would be very hesitant about leaving a lithium ion battery to charge unattended in your cabin.  I would contact MSC's special needs department to see if they allow lithium ion batteries, or whether they want gel cell ones.

I will most likely charge them over night, I've completed the special needs form and they seem happy with the battery type. I certainly can't get new batteries.