How do virgin cruises differ from carnival, rcl, etc?

AandBmom

15 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

We don't really use the pool and people were complaining about beds on Princess for years and we never had an issue with them or any other line.

If you don't care about the pools, then obviously that is not a deciding factor for you. 

I have also cruised many lines and while I don't find all the beds extremely comfortable, I think the beds on VV are the most uncomfortable of any line I have sailed on (I have been on 9 different lines).  They are barely 4" thick and hard as a rock.  If that is your thing, it might not be an issue.  For myself, I will often sleep in the hammock at night, because at least I don't wake up with every part of my body in pain.  

Like I said, it is definitely worth giving VV a try.  I will sail them again.  I just won't sail them exclusively.  

27 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

If you don't care about the pools, then obviously that is not a deciding factor for you. 

I have also cruised many lines and while I don't find all the beds extremely comfortable, I think the beds on VV are the most uncomfortable of any line I have sailed on (I have been on 9 different lines).  They are barely 4" thick and hard as a rock.  If that is your thing, it might not be an issue.  For myself, I will often sleep in the hammock at night, because at least I don't wake up with every part of my body in pain.  

Like I said, it is definitely worth giving VV a try.  I will sail them again.  I just won't sail them exclusively.  

Thanks for the details. No line is perfect. We like some things on some lines for example the rooms on Celebrity and Royal are much better than the rooms on Princess. What it boils down to is the itinerary and the price. VV seems to have a unique experience compared to the 3 we sail and I would be willing to pay more for that experience. 

32 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

What? The mattresses are a fairly standard thickness, just very firm. Personally, I think they are the most comfortable beds around. Extra firm mattresses are the best for my back and I slept like a rock. Everyone has different preferences, but saying "barely 4" thick" is just inaccurate.

Hint for the beds--order a mattress topper from Amazon.  They cost about $20 and come vacuum packed so take very little space. If luggage and flying is a problem, see if your hotel will accept a delivery for you and pick it up there.  At the end of the cruise, take it home or give it to your stateroom host. (they like comfort too!)

I already have one…maybe I will check my carryon and carry on the egg crate.  Might be worth it for five nights.  However, it they would give me an extra half dozen pillows, I might survive.  EM

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/12/2024 at 2:45 PM, Essiesmom said:

I am considering a cruise on VV and would like to know generally how people dress onboard…other than theme parties?  I’m a casual, coordinated person but I do like to dress up on occasion.  EM

Guys. Shirt and smart jeans or chinos. Rarely see anyone in a sport coat

On 4/29/2024 at 4:44 PM, AandBmom said:

This is all very helpful so far everyone. What is the crowd like? I just got off a bliss Cruise where I found everybody to be very outgoing and social but that's a very unique demographic. Are people like that on virgin?

I've been on 2 Virgin Cruises (more soon hopefully!) and for me, personally, the crowd is much less social on Virgin compared to Celebrity. I feel like Virgin attracts a lot of younger and also first time cruisers and they aren't used to mingling with strangers the way the "old school" cruise ship crowd usually does.  Also, while the free wi-fi is great - that does mean more guests are staring at phones instead of talking to each other in restaurants and lounges.  

That's not necessarily a bad thing, it's a different vibe and there is something truly peaceful about the Virgin ships... it's just so laid back without the upsells, announcements, and children running around. 

I like Virgin and Celebrity - they are both great for different reasons.  I really don't like the design of the rooms on Virgin, they feel too cheap and IKEA like to me, and they are not well designed. I love the cabin designs on Celebrity by comparison.  

The dining reservations is very annoying to me on Virgin, I much prefer Anytime Dining on Celebrity but.... the food is better on Virgin thats for sure. 

And finally, I have found service on Celebrity to be 10x more consistent - while most of the Virgin Crew are fine, I've had a few strange encounters that were borderline rude.

Of course, Virgin has lots of things I love that Celebrity doesn't have - the quality entertainment being the number one as well as quality of food and drinks (Celebrity doesn't know how to make anything with espresso!), and the laid back, quiet, and peaceful vibes. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2024 at 9:07 AM, rebeccac said:

For myself, I will often sleep in the hammock at night, because at least I don't wake up with every part of my body in pain.  

I was curious if you were a back sleeper? I'd like to try sleeping in one next time (as sometimes my snoring bothers my wife) but I'm a side sleeper and concerned I couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep 5-6 hours in one. Any suggestions?

On 6/15/2024 at 8:23 PM, steve thfc said:

I am considering a cruise on VV and would like to know generally how people dress onboard…other than theme parties?  I’m a casual, coordinated person but I do like to dress up on occasion.  EM

Any way they want.  Daytime, mostly shorts and ts, evenings, a little more "dressed up," but suits/jackets or evening  dresses are rare.  Overall, it is more casual than other lines.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:15 PM, Cloud9 Bob said:

I was curious if you were a back sleeper? I'd like to try sleeping in one next time (as sometimes my snoring bothers my wife) but I'm a side sleeper and concerned I couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep 5-6 hours in one. Any suggestions?

In a regular bed, I am a side sleeper, but on the hammock that is not possible.  You pretty much have to be mostly on your back.   The lack of any real pressure points really helps to make it comfortable.  It is certainly worth trying out.  Maybe a daytime nap first to see how it goes???

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, steve thfc said:

Are the beds in rock star cabins better than sea terrace? I was told mattresses are better 

The beds in the Rock Star cabins are amazing!  They are very comfy.

19 hours ago, steve thfc said:

Are the beds in rock star cabins better than sea terrace? I was told mattresses are better 

The beds in suites are totally different and much better.

I loved the wifi, never had anything better on a cruise ship. Cannot say the same for the app which would, at times, randomly require I log back in but needed to go to guest services. 

There was always a place to sit out by the pool. I did not see many chairs with stuff on them. That was a first for me. People who actually wait to claim a chair until they're ready to sit on one.

Party atmosphere - Not as much as other ships I've been on but it might be we weren't in the right places at the right time. We didn't stick around for the pajama party, I do not like being around that many people at one time but it seemed like a great place to tie one on.

We are booked on Dubrovnik days next May. We were originally on the one way from Portsmouth to Iceland, but my friend who I'm traveling with has MS and it was going to be tough to find excursions for her so we changed to this one.

I encourage everyone to try Virgin because there are some unique aspects to this line that you won't find on others. I loved the karaoke "room" which is something you won't see anywhere else and I loved being able to "Swing" while up on deck and also in the hammock on the deck.

What you won't have on Virgin which is something I love, are the interactive game shows. Some of the funniest memories I have from cruising are participating in or watching them. They have trivia and give away free drink tickets to the winning team so if that's something you love to do, you'll be in your glory. 

Edited - Whoever asked about the hammock, I did take a nap in it. The best thing about them is you don't have to push them all the way out, you can treat it more like a swing with a little bit of support behind and still fall asleep.

Edited by Mademypoint
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Mademypoint said:

What you won't have on Virgin which is something I love, are the interactive game shows. Some of the funniest memories I have from cruising are participating in or watching them. They have trivia and give away free drink tickets to the winning team so if that's something you love to do, you'll be in your glory. 

They do have some game shows, there is Latte you Stay and Scoop There it is, hosted by the diva drag queen. Also they’ve started to introduce more trivia based game shows, we had several new ones on Scarket Lady last month.

42 minutes ago, Mademypoint said:

I'm sure as they continue to evolve they will start doing more and more of them. I could have sworn one of those you had to pay to play? 

Generally the activies that come with alcohol are charged. Loteria Gigante the Mexican card game is charged for as it comes with almost unlimited margaritas.

But there are still plenty of both silly gameshows as I mentioned before and trivia based games for free (where you can win drinks). Things like Last One Standing (everyone chooses multiple choice) or Great Minds (international trivia trying to think like someone else) are new this year.

My issue with the winning free drinks is they don't care if there are teams of 10 as they don't give out more than six free drink coupons. They can say "no more than six" but at the end of the game they will tell you they don't enforce it. To me, if others don't have to play by the rules and the hosts don't care, the field is not level. 

While I get that you're trying to make a direct comparison, audience participation game shows on Princess/Celebrity/RCI/NCL/Carnival are not the same as what's on Virgin nor does it have to be. The reality was when I sailed her they did not have them and while I appreciate your saying they're doing more, until I get back on her next May, my perception will remain 🙂

23 minutes ago, Mademypoint said:

While I get that you're trying to make a direct comparison, audience participation game shows on Princess/Celebrity/RCI/NCL/Carnival are not the same as what's on Virgin nor does it have to be.

By the way, I’m not trying to compare to any other cruise line as I’ve only been on VV. Therefore I’m mainly comparing Virgin with Virgin and what they’ve changed and added over the last three years.

I'm sure there are probably dozens of videos on you tube where you can see what I'm talking about. I have been chosen to play, in no particular order, versions of the 20,000 pyramid, family feud, the price is right, while my sister participated in a crew/passenger version of dancing with the stars. I also won an impromptu version of rock, paper, scissors that an entire theater full of people participated in while we waited for a show to start. There are also lots of "crafts" like napkin or towel folding, ring toss and related games, crew games like three truths and a lie, majority rules, and one of my favorites has always been the newlywed game but on cruise ships they pick a newlywed, not so newlywed and then try to find the couple married the longest. On princess you can find people throwing paper airplanes from one deck and trying to get it through hoops on a lower one or maybe you'll see a bunch of people building a "cradle" that can house an egg and protect it from breaking when it's thrown from deck seven down to the atrium on deck five.