Staying in Los Angeles the night before our Cruise - Mexico Cruise

33 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

so i should be able to find a reasonably priced airport hotel

And nothing else...... The LAX area is bleak. There are very few places to eat, so unless the hotel has a restaurant you are stuck. Uber Eats might rescue you with something from the extended area.

Posted (edited)

Thanks, i've posted on the marriott facebook page and i'm hoping i can find a suitable hotel. It will be cheaper anyways if i can use my points. I do not want to be stuck in traffic and i'm not really interested in taking an early flight. Someone on the lax trip advisor forum also warned me about bad traffic on friday.

Edited by latebuyer

On 5/8/2024 at 11:09 AM, latebuyer said:

Thanks, i've posted on the marriott facebook page and i'm hoping i can find a suitable hotel. It will be cheaper anyways if i can use my points. I do not want to be stuck in traffic and i'm not really interested in taking an early flight. Someone on the lax trip advisor forum also warned me about bad traffic on friday.

You might like to take a look at the Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach. 

7 hours ago, MAXII said:

You might like to take a look at the Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach. 

Excellent choice. Torrance has become our go-to area for pre-cruise hotels as well. Half way between LAX and San Pedro, and situated right next to the huge Del Amo mall, with lots of shopping and restaurants next door. For those times of year when the Crowne Plaza and Doubletree are to expensive, Torrance is a great option.

• Like 1

Lots of choices  A lot of people have suggested aloft el segundo which is apparently across from an in n out burger. Presumably you'd still be stuck in traffic going to torrance?

3 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Lots of choices  A lot of people have suggested aloft el segundo which is apparently across from an in n out burger. Presumably you'd still be stuck in traffic going to torrance?

Torrance is pretty much on a direct line between LAX and the port, so you won't be going very far out of your way and you will be stuck in traffic either way. If we arrive very late into LAX (as we did last Feb), we will stay at an LAX hotel and Uber the next morning, which is usually a Saturday or Sunday so little traffic. If we arrive into LAX on a mid-day flight, we will Uber down to Torrance for the area infrastructure and so as to already be half way to San Pedro. Then it is a simple, relatively short Uber to the port on Embarkation morning (short for LA anyway ;o). We have had decent luck with the traffic from LAX to Torrance on a weekday afternoon, though always before the evening rush hour. I wouldn't want to consider driving to Torrance at 5PM on a Friday night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! Looks like gets good reviews too. I just want to apologize to op for hijacking the thread. There is a lot of focus on crowne plaza and double tree yet due to cost and traffic they may not be suitable. I think op indicated earlier they found what they are looking for which is good.

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

I am warming to the idea of the marriott redondo. Nice to be a bit closer and pool looks nice. Any restaurant recommendations?

If by Marriott "Redondo" you mean the Torrance Marriott, look at the Mitsuwa Marketplace. It is a Japanese market (Torrance has a very large Japanese population) with a food court. Hokkaido Ramen Santouka Torrance and Mugimaru Udon + Toritetsu are about as good as it gets for ramen and udon.

The Del Amo Center, across the street, is one of the largest malls in the U.S. and has a lot of very good places to eat, albeit, most are chains. I like Din Tai Fung, Slater's 50/50, Luna Grill and Frida's.

https://www.simon.com/mall/del-amo-fashion-center/dining

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks so much. May i ask your recommendations for breakfast as well? Also is there anywhere to get pop cans.

Assuming you are walking, I'd either eat in the hotel or Denny's is next door. If you had a car, I'd say Norm's, but it it 2 miles up Hawthorne Blvd; or King's Hawaiian Bakery, 2 miles down Sepulveda Blvd.

For soda, there is a liquor store "behind" the Marriott on Torrance Blvd, which by the way, has killer breakfast burritos and breakfast sandwiches.

Thank you so much for your kind help. Yes i saw the marriott has a cheap coffee place and they mention kings hawaiian so good to know thats a local bakery. Also good to know about breakfast burritos and the liquor store. I have a dennys 5 min away from me so probably won't go there lol. I'm set!

On 4/30/2024 at 5:24 PM, Thrak said:

We always stay at Crowne Plaza. They have a shuttle to the port and, like Double Tree, have a package where you can leave your car there during your cruise. We did take advantage of that one time. You will likely get the most advice to stay at either Crowne Plaza or Doubletree.

Hello you always have good tips. We are thinking of going to Long Beach instead of LAX this time. I generally just use Princess hotels and or transfers but staying closer to the port a day or two prior to sailing. Would you know if the Crown has a shuttle from Long Beach airport?

Thanks as always.

17 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Hello you always have good tips. We are thinking of going to Long Beach instead of LAX this time. I generally just use Princess hotels and or transfers but staying closer to the port a day or two prior to sailing. Would you know if the Crown has a shuttle from Long Beach airport? Thanks as always.

No, LGB is way too far away.

If you are coming in two days early, I'd stay in Downtown Long Beach, it a lot more to see, do and eat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

My sister used this several times when they lived in Torrance. She is gone now so can't ask her. It sounds easier than LAX not sure though if it is as easy to get to the port.

SNA is my go to airport for southern parts of LA/Orange.  Just navigating the airport makes it worth the little bit it might take to get to the port.  Security is much easier, it's smaller, and seems cleaner.  But due to flight hour restrictions the schedule isn't as good. 

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

My sister used this several times when they lived in Torrance. She is gone now so can't ask her. It sounds easier than LAX not sure though if it is as easy to get to the port.

Because the airport is very small and easy to navigate, it is just as easy or easier to get to the port.

• Like 1