Time lapse port sail ins

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! What are you using? I use a GoPro with various mounts depending where on cabin is. I shoot in video mode, 4K one shot every two seconds

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

Nice! What are you using? I use a GoPro with various mounts depending where on cabin is. I shoot in video mode, 4K one shot every two seconds

Hi, I use a go pro 9 that I bought on board the day before I was confined to cabin with Covid - spent the whole cruise (apart from the first 2 days) on the balcony filming - stopped me going mad.  I also use a Nikon 170 and a DSLR.  The Nikon is getting old now and I recently bought a GoPro 13 and will pass the 170 to my grandson.  I use multiple cameras to get better coverage and to take accent shots.  I also sometimes use one camera then swap it to prolong life for long sail ins such as Stockholm that started at 3.am and went on for about 5 hours (in pyjamas).  as for timings - yes 4K but speed varies depending in how much time/detail is ahead of me - usually I find every 5 seconds is OK but the beauty of multiple cameras is you can do more than one version.  Not a cruise but an example is this - a cable car ride in which I had one faced forward and one to the rear - then in post I matched up the speeds.  The result is I could show the most interesting view as a continuous but mix in other thumbnails to give detailed shots in time with the main. - 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my first time-lapse video I did as a test prior to the Panama Canal. It's of us arriving in Cartagena, Columbia.

Not sure if it qualifies as a "Sail In", but here's the one I took of our Panama Canal Transit.

GoPro 10 using linear and a picture every 2 seconds. So 1m video = 1hr time

On 5/26/2024 at 12:00 AM, RobInMN said:

Here's my first time-lapse video I did as a test prior to the Panama Canal. It's of us arriving in Cartagena, Columbia.

Not sure if it qualifies as a "Sail In", but here's the one I took of our Panama Canal Transit.

GoPro 10 using linear and a picture every 2 seconds. So 1m video = 1hr time

Love it - be interested to know if you put a soundtrack to them - couldn't hear one.  Also how are you mounting the camera? I always use a secondary tether as well for safety - recently set a camera up and as I stepped back heard a sickening twang as the camera popped its mounting and flew off from the bannister - the tether ( actually the old cord from a tote bag) saved it and it lives for another day.  I have started filming from the front of the ship but not sure how this will work on the edge series?

PS - I have just subscribed to your YouTube channel so hope to see more.

Edited by malted muse
wanted to add something

44 minutes ago, malted muse said:

Love it - be interested to know if you put a soundtrack to them - couldn't hear one.  Also how are you mounting the camera?

No sound or editing. Just straight from the camera.

Joby GorillaPod

41LhAVYAbXL._SY180_.jpg

secured with some safety tethers

51gGY1YxSaL._SY180_.jpg

And for the full PC transit, connected to a 10,000 mAh power bank.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2024 at 8:50 PM, RobInMN said:

No sound or editing. Just straight from the camera.

Joby GorillaPod

41LhAVYAbXL._SY180_.jpg

secured with some safety tethers

51gGY1YxSaL._SY180_.jpg

And for the full PC transit, connected to a 10,000 mAh power bank.

For a mount I have a strap that I wrap round the bannister then clip onto it using a backpack strap clip (like a glorified crocodile clip, with a secondary tether. I then leave the strap there for the whole cruise.