How risky is this excursion?

ed111

I'm on the NCL Viva- which will be in Koper for 10 hours. I'm considering a non-NCL group tour excursion to lake bled and Ljubjana, which is scheduled to get back to the ship 1 hour prior to departure. (so 30 minutes prior to all aboard).

The company said they have been doing this tour for 20 years and have never missed a ship. 

Normally I wouldn't be anywhere close to considering this, but my Viva cruise will be ending in Trieste the next day. (a 25 minute drive from Koper). All things considered it seems the consequences of missing the ship are relatively much lower here than it is in most cases.

Thoughts on risk here?

That's practically walking distance (less than 15 miles from port to port).  Given how easy it would be to catch up with the ship, or even beat the ship to Treiste, I would risk it but I'd be sure to have the port agent's contact information with me, so you'd be able to let them know. 

Getting back on the ship the next day to retrieve your things could be an issue, while everyone else is trying to get off.  Definitely check with NCL about how that would work.  And maybe pack your bags before leaving on the excursion, in case they don't let you back on but just bring your stuff to you at the port.

And absolutely have your passport and any medications with you.

• Like 1

Lake Bled is spectacular, I thought it was one of the most beautiful lakes I have seen.

We were on a ship's excursion.   We did have a lot of traffic and were delayed exiting the lake, there seems to be a single road through the valley which was backed up and we were late to return.

That said, given your tour operator's experience and the fact that your next stop is close, I think it is a reasonable risk to take.

My only other thought is that this excursion is the type where a ship's excursion and independent excursion may not be that different, essentially they are both transportation.   So a ship's excursion may not be a bad option given the tight schedule if one is offered.