liquor

jabb

Your bags go through x-ray like at an airport. They see the bottles and NCL will open your bags and take it out. According to folks having recently taken cruises NCL really has come down on the no out side liquor policy. You can bring your own wine for a 15$ per bottle corkage fee.

We brought on Sutter Home's cardboard box of wine in our suitcase. We also brought on vodka in a plastic bottle. It was nice to have something in our cabin for cocktails on the balcony.

Even if people have cocktails in their cabin, they will still purchase cocktails throughout the cruise for dinner, poolside, and at shows.

I remember NCL Dawn having 2 for 1 happy hours after 11pm. DH would buy beer and fill the fridge. I don't think they have those specials any more. We'll be sailing NCL Star in Feb., so I will have to see what specials they offer next year.

i'm on the star on 4/18, and was planning to pack a few bottles of water in my luggage (checked not carryon) and also put vodka into one empty water bottle. i've seen the criticisms of this on other posts, and believe me, i'll still be purchasing more than my share of cocktails at the bars so i really cant be convinced that ncl is going to lose money because of my water bottle of vodka. i'm not going to mix a huge drink and then tote it around the ship, i think mainly it will be to have a small vodka/lemonade while i get ready for the evening, or while i sit and wait around for the next activity. i'm only taking a small amount, and therefore wont be heartbroken if it does get confiscated. my husband isnt a huge drinker, so he's perfectly satisfied with just a drink or two each evening.

we are, however, planning to try to stop on our way to the ship (from the airport) to buy a case of water somewhere. we're taking a cab and hoping that there will be a walgreens or something quick along the way. he's a big water drinker and prefers bottled water. i'm packing an empty carry on bag in the outside pocket of my luggage, and will fill it up with water if/when we obtain it.

The water

from the ship is fine no need to bring you own onboard, Consider a bar setup .

Your paid big money to cruise the extra few drinks you suggest will not break your bank.

All luggage is scanned. NCL is very strict about their liquor policy. People have come up with all kinds of ways to sneek it on. Sometimes it works but most often it doesn't.

I would be interested in people's comments about the spring breakers who reported carrying on 10-12 bottles of liquor. Did NCL close there eyes to this because they were spring breakers? I just can't figure out why someone smuggles a bottle or two and the groups reporting on the Majesty said they had 10-12 bottles.

I would be interested in people's comments about the spring breakers who reported carrying on 10-12 bottles of liquor. Did NCL close there eyes to this because they were spring breakers? I just can't figure out why someone smuggles a bottle or two and the groups reporting on the Majesty said they had 10-12 bottles.

Seems to be pretty "hit or miss" whether they catch you. I bet the college kids were pretty ingenious in their smuggling tricks ...

who said that? My guess: that is a big exageration! there is no way anyone, especially college kids would not be stopped in their tracks. None of these lines want to see anymore problems caused by or blamed on over indulging. NMnita

There was a long review on the Majesty for the week of 3/14 ish. The OP was not a spring breaker but had much more patience (or whatever) in dealing with this than I would have. Others who were part of the spring break group gave their perspective on the cruise. It was all very interesting and everyone stayed well mannered. I was wondering about the exagerration but the thread just didn't seem to go that way. I am a boring accountant and am always wondering how and why different companies do things. It just didn't make sense to me that NCL turn it's head on this one. The bar bills seemed quite large in spite of the fact there was smuggling.

There was a long review on the Majesty for the week of 3/14 ish. The OP was not a spring breaker but had much more patience (or whatever) in dealing with this than I would have. Others who were part of the spring break group gave their perspective on the cruise. It was all very interesting and everyone stayed well mannered. I was wondering about the exagerration but the thread just didn't seem to go that way. I am a boring accountant and am always wondering how and why different companies do things. It just didn't make sense to me that NCL turn it's head on this one. The bar bills seemed quite large in spite of the fact there was smuggling.

Spend a buck. Hey go all inclusive then you have no need to hide. Are you having a bad day????

Spend a buck. Hey go all inclusive then you have no need to hide. Are you having a bad day????

No, no, no. I'm having a fine day. I love cruises and my bar tab is a disgrace. My husband drinks beer and I'm not going to try to smuggle a keg or two for him. I drink foo foo drinks and I'm certainly not going to sit in my room all day with my blender, ice, mix, and rum. I'm not kidding about being a boring accountant. IF all those bottles made it on the ship, "NCL" must have turned a blind eye to it. Why? What's in it for NCL? Future cruisers? Less hassle? Just looking for perspective.

These boards helped me understand the whole tipping/service fee/sharing, etc.

I watch NASCAR and wonder about the sponsorship, the purses for the different races, how much does the driver actually get. It's just a silly obsession I have.

Archived