Crystal & Fantasy Caves on your own

Host Jacquelyn

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Family of 5 looking to do crystal & fantasy caves. Is there a cab / transportation we can pick up to and from the port? Any idea of price?

Up to 7 can fit in a taxi. I am assuming you are docking at the Dockyard, There are two other possible docks so my info is based on making that presumption. Plenty of taxis available at the Dockyard. The caves are at the other end of Bermuda. The fares just increased so I had to do  math but a taxi direct would possibly be $90. We usually take a ferry to St. George or Hamilton and then a taxi which mean $5 per person for the ferry to St. George and for 5 about $35 to the area where the caves are. The Swizzle Inn is there. Maybe $45 from Hamilton if you take the ferry there then a taxi. Sorry all taxi fares are math since they raised them April 1 and so I have not taken any rides with the new rates or found a cheat sheet. You could also take a bus from St. George or Hamilton. Be advised that the caves are  88 steps down and 88 steps back up. If any of your family has mobility issues they might have difficulty. 

Edited by Charles4515

5 hours ago, Host Jacquelyn said:

Family of 5 looking to do crystal & fantasy caves. Is there a cab / transportation we can pick up to and from the port? Any idea of price?

In addition to what @Charles4515 has said, if you're going to go to the caves it's imperative that you reserve a time slot. During the cruise season the caves will have large numbers of visitors arriving via cruise line excursions and there is a limit on how many people can descend into the caves at any one time. You don't want to make a long and expensive trip to the caves only to find that you won't be able to see them. 

With the new taxi fares the trip may be just a touch more expensive than Charles has estimated. Per the Bermuda Tourism Authority for a 5 to 7 passenger taxi the new fare is $11.55 for the first mile and $4.25 for each additional mile. The trip from the Dockyard is approximately 20 to 21 miles, which would result in a fare of about $92-$95, but just as in the US a tip for the driver is customary, so figure a total cost each way of about $105 to $110 dollars. If you are making the trip on a Sunday or legal holiday, there will be a 50% (not a typo...50% !!!) fare surcharge for a 5-7 passenger taxi.