Live from the Norwegian Fjords May 5-13, 2024 - Silhouette

kk20

On 5/6/2024 at 4:44 PM, Bexpo said:

Hello,

we are on this cruise. Would love to meet KK20! We are in 9291. Would you like to meet?

It was so nice meeting you at the martini bar tonight! 

Looks like you’re enjoying a wonderful cruise, we can’t wait to board in a couple weeks! If you’re near Cafe Al Bacio can you check if they have Lemon Ginger tea in the Forte bags please? Will save me having to bring any. Thank you! 
Cathy

JeannieC

yes! First Neil Diamond Sweet Caroline x then Andre Bocelli!

best send off ever! About 6 on land were waving Norway flags and waving the whole time! It was so touching and cool I sang along! Best send off ever! And they did it before? I thought it was just for Silhouette and me!

• Like 1

Ok! Now that Musk’s satellites are cooperating again, here are the rest of the skylift photos

IMG_1927.thumb.jpeg.4fdff7b9508c4f3f898de2cd3fd7a1f8.jpeg

at the top of the mountain

IMG_1928.thumb.jpeg.d1205b100f947bcf39296b64311c5c8c.jpeg

another fjord

IMG_1929.thumb.jpeg.9301923f574e794f955501e0a6e29eee.jpeg

our ship in port

IMG_1930.thumb.jpeg.3bb513995e39fce21c9ac9d1dd74cba5.jpeg

one crazy base jumper!!!

IMG_1931.thumb.jpeg.500a423090b9507d63ea8eaf90a16c36.jpeg

speechless

IMG_2244.thumb.jpeg.99c23ef835e389367581b28128ae7b98.jpeg

campground at the base of the mountain 

IMG_1932.thumb.jpeg.5e99b1018d037904eb0cdd09f14fecac.jpeg

boathouses beside the campground 

• Like 12

We decided to skip the mdr tonight and just grab some dinner from the buffet. I had the best stir fry made by Erick 🤤 
Afterwards we saddled up to the martini bar to enjoy the grand foyer entertainment and a few adult beverages 

IMG_2282.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

This video was taken at 10:10 pm and the picture below of us leaving the fjord and entering back to the north sea was taken at 10:45pm. 

Now it’s off to bed so we can (maybe) wake up early tomorrow to watch the hub’s Edmonton Oilers play the Vancouver Canucks in round two of the nhl playoffs. Puck drop is 4:20am local time 😬

IMG_1935.thumb.jpeg.e0dabfcd57bdea034ae4f3bc0f55717d.jpeg

Edited by kk20
  • Like 5

Kk20

there were 6 base jumpers! From Utah, they loved jumping here! 
2 guys jumped & flipped at the same time amazing dare devils for sure!

Olden is a very special place- loved it all!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Does the hotel on the dock still play Bocelli singing ‘Time to say goodbye’ when ship leaving Olden,,,makes the hair on your neck stand up.

Please watch…Yes, a bar in Olden, Norway - yesterday on May 8, 2024…played the song Con de Partiro “Time to Say Good-Bye” - a farewell to us on a loud speaker…. and waved to us on the ship as it left. It was very touching. Sentimental. Very emotional. Of course we were on front deck. It was the most beautiful experience.

• Like 2

We are on this Norwegian fjord cruise as well and I understand people wanting more authentic smaller expedition ships to go through the fjords. However This is quite gorgeous! Second to none. Truly spectacular and beautiful. Nothing to compare to.  Nothing inauthentic about this. It’s a bigger ship and may not be able to go through every single  Fjord….but what it does go through is spectacular, jaw dropping and very gorgeous! the scenery is every bit as dramatic and extraordinary - only we are on a jewel of a vessel too!. Our excursions are second to none. The experience is eye opening and showcases all the beauty Norway has to offer. Don’t be dissuaded…this experience is wonderful.

IMG_0651.jpeg

IMG_3387.jpeg

IMG_3391.jpeg

IMG_0606.jpeg

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, Bexpo said:

We are on this Norwegian fjord cruise as well and I understand people wanting more authentic smaller expedition ships to go through the fjords. However This is quite gorgeous! Second to none. Truly spectacular and beautiful. Nothing to compare to.  Nothing inauthentic about this. It’s a bigger ship and may not be able to go through every single  Fjord….but what it does go through is spectacular, jaw dropping and very gorgeous! the scenery is every bit as dramatic and extraordinary - only we are on a jewel of a vessel too!. Our excursions are second to none. The experience is eye opening and showcases all the beauty Norway has to offer. Don’t be dissuaded…this experience is wonderful.

Great pics and I 100% agree with every single thing you posted!

And also, while our ship may not travel into smaller fjords, we have booked 2 small boat excursions that will take us into more fjords here in Alesund and in Stavenger 🙌

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Looks like you’re enjoying a wonderful cruise, we can’t wait to board in a couple weeks! If you’re near Cafe Al Bacio can you check if they have Lemon Ginger tea in the Forte bags please? Will save me having to bring any. Thank you! 
Cathy

I popped down to al bacio and asked to see their lemon ginger tea bag. She said this is what they have (lemongrass not lemon)

IMG_2313.thumb.jpeg.8c4f389d3b7612b32432180af91fd704.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Today we are in rainy Alesund and the wind off the north sea is no joke! 🥶 

We didn’t wake up in time to watch the Oilers blow their lead and loose to the Canucks but did watch a replay of the Panthers beating the Bruins on espn in our cabin while enjoying some al bacio wake me ups. Breakfast was my usual eggs benedict with some extra bacon at the ovc. 

Our excursion for today is a boat tour of the hjorundfjord. More info on it is listed below

IMG_2315.thumb.jpeg.2ba8dd66f0d8e518832bbc31b82c0101.jpeg

view from the 5th floor deck while docked

IMG_2205.thumb.jpeg.68a72282937c1de7ec6f2a520628622e.jpeg

ovc eggs bennie

IMG_1945.thumb.png.cbe825dc568e8e86741a4681b720df79.png

IMG_1946.thumb.png.453bb4b4a9e258371d0c6e71c14774fe.png

IMG_1944.thumb.png.2ade0b8135255c07fcafeed38c29f252.png

• Like 3

Would sure like to see pics of the boat for the hjorundfjord tour since we're on that tour in a couple of weeks. RIB boat or something with a cabin to get in and stay out of the wind?

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Would sure like to see pics of the boat for the hjorundfjord tour since we're on that tour in a couple of weeks. RIB boat or something with a cabin to get in and stay out of the wind?

The boat was very large and comfortable. It had at least 4 separate toilet stalls in the back and they also had a bar area that you could purchase beverages and snacks at too. There was a viewing area off the back and stairs that lead up to a 2nd floor viewing area that is partially covered. Pics of the boat are below. 

it may be a while for me to post pics from the excursion as between my phone and camera I have 260 pics and videos to go through! 🫣

IMG_2382.thumb.jpeg.02ebf45cffd5b632d6f0a0d38ed1b799.jpeg

IMG_2383.thumb.jpeg.ba71e3a45b2f43402c59b716f5cd3a50.jpeg

IMG_2334.thumb.jpeg.fb47c8261e64bd6e5bfd9ad9ddf35442.jpeg

IMG_2317.thumb.jpeg.d921de53fdcfb7b82431106b4543f0e6.jpeg

Edited by kk20
  • Like 9

@kk20 thx so much for checking on the tea. Hope you enjoyed today’s excursion. Your tour in Stavanger, is it a ships tour or private? We’ve booked with rodne.co for our visit there. 
Loving your pics from the ship as well as all the amazing scenery…now I wish I’d added that leg to our Scandinavian leg 🤦🏼‍♀️

Cathy

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, kk20 said:

The boat was very large and comfortable. It had at least 4 separate toilet stalls in the back and they also had a bar area that you could purchase beverages and snacks at too. There was a viewing area off the back and stairs that lead up to a 2nd floor viewing area that is partially covered. Pics of the boat are below. 

it may be a while for me to post pics from the excursion as between my phone and camera I have 260 pics and videos to go through! 🫣

IMG_2382.thumb.jpeg.02ebf45cffd5b632d6f0a0d38ed1b799.jpeg

IMG_2383.thumb.jpeg.ba71e3a45b2f43402c59b716f5cd3a50.jpeg

IMG_2334.thumb.jpeg.fb47c8261e64bd6e5bfd9ad9ddf35442.jpeg

IMG_2317.thumb.jpeg.d921de53fdcfb7b82431106b4543f0e6.jpeg

That's super helpful. Had a friend who was concerned it was in a RIB boat and she'd be cold! How is the weather today? How was this excursion?

• Like 1

After following this live report I have been researching and found a cruise I like for next May. How has the weather been overall this time of year? I am from north of Toronto so I know what cold weather is lol …hopefully it’s not that cold there in May? Although I did see the post with the snow capped mountain, and the comment about the north winds 🥶

2 minutes ago, debfed65 said:

After following this live report I have been researching and found a cruise I like for next May. How has the weather been overall this time of year? I am from north of Toronto so I know what cold weather is lol …hopefully it’s not that cold there in May? Although I did see the post with the snow capped mountain, and the comment about the north winds 🥶

Hi,,I have done Fijords in May,weather can be mixed but the joy of May/June is the snow is melting and the many waterfalls are in full flow.

You don’t get the same dramatic effect in August when then weather can be good.

Bare in mind Bergen is the wettest place in Europe.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

Stavanger, is it a ships tour or private? We’ve booked with rodne.co for our visit there. 
Loving your pics from the ship as well as all the amazing scenery…now I wish I’d added that leg to our Scandinavian leg 🤦🏼‍♀️

We booked directly with Rodne Fjord Cruise company for Stavenger. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, debfed65 said:

The temps have been varying between 6°-16°. Up until today, I’ve been comfortable in just a windbreaker when we’ve ventured off the ship. We didn’t even put our jackets on yesterday at the top of the leon lift! Today I was very thankful for my long trench coat with hood

• Thanks 1

Even though it was cold, rainy and windy we still enjoyed our fjord boat tour today! To be fair, the worst weather was around the port and it cleared up a fair bit the farther we ventured into the fjord.

The boat was very comfortable and the guide was informative and friendly

Hope you enjoy a few of my pictures!

IMG_2340.thumb.jpeg.1f961be999fe2478ad0101e4ada148f7.jpeg

IMG_2240.thumb.jpeg.0c137958e8d8a34bb85e57a61883ffc4.jpeg

IMG_2243.thumb.jpeg.d8c589729a1685028d676d45ffee88d5.jpeg

IMG_2244.thumb.jpeg.4123a0e554ed7fdd3c25b676de6899e8.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

The scenery was beautiful traveling from the port to the fjord too!

My fellow Ontario people: doesn’t the end of this video look like it could have been taken on Georgian bay or any of the area’s lakes?

Edited by kk20
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, kk20 said:

The scenery was beautiful traveling from the port to the fjord too!

My fellow Ontario people: doesn’t the end of this video look like it could have been taken on Georgian bay or any of the area’s lakes?

As former Barrie residents this could’ve been recorded in the 30,000 islands for sure! Are you really in Norway? 😉😂😂

Sounds like we’ve the same excursion booked in Stavanger as you…looking forward to seeing your pics and reading your thoughts! 🥂 

Cathy

• Like 2