Explora 3 and Beyond Changes

peder

Saw an interesting comment on YouTube from @lindsayslivealittle: "Explora 1 and 2 are not what we would consider specifically kid friendly.  However, they offer a kids program and have small area specifically for kids that we will show in our ship tour.  But they did tell us Explora 3 will have a much larger kids area and designed more for families."

And I noticed that the MSC Cruises Wikipedia page is suggesting Explora 3 will be about 10% larger, coming in at 70,000 GT (note however that the linked source article does not confirm this): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSC_Cruises

Has anyone else heard or read of rumored or confirmed changes for Explora 3 and beyond? Are we expecting these be an "Explora Plus" class?

I hope not. We just came back yesterday from our first Explora cruise. I didn’t see any children onboard. I think the size is perfect and wouldn’t want to see a larger ship.

• Like 1

Only saw 2 children on the prior segment and like Maggie saw none on the one we disembarked from yesterday.  I know some posts had mentioned a lot of children over the holidays, I liked our 18 days on Explora but have no desire to sail with a bunch of children especially at this price point.  

1 hour ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Only saw 2 children on the prior segment and like Maggie saw none on the one we disembarked from yesterday.  I know some posts had mentioned a lot of children over the holidays, I liked our 18 days on Explora but have no desire to sail with a bunch of children especially at this price point.  

At this time of the year it’s reasonable to expect a low child count. School vacation time could be very different. That said, we cruised over a holiday period, there were over 20 youngsters onboard including several teenagers but you would never have known 

• Like 1

I wonder if they're going to add family suites that accommodate 6 or 8. I don't think they're going to lengthen Explora 3, and I don't think there's much room to expand offerings for children. Instead I think that means the focus would be on cabin designs, which they could change to cater to families more easily.

Supposedly 3 & 4 will have LNG and electric drive systems (as Ponant's Le Commander Charcot has) so will be about 60' longer but with no increase in pax count.  According to Explora rep on a TA talk today.

• Like 2

At 873' long are they going to start running into issues getting into some ports?

Also, if the ship is 60' longer, how would that not increase passenger count, becaues surely means more cabins? Unless they're going to greatly increase the number of penthouses?

Posted (edited)

Increased suite size (or more suites to cabins) and more public space, according to the Business Relationship Lead - West Coast. Not that I've run into him on the ship (if I even recognize him) or he and the Explora team came aboard in Astoria and left after the show and tell.

Edited by rrrrtt
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Le Commandant Charcot was an amazing ship and experience, but as a PC2 ice breaker IS nothing like Explora 3+ will be.

Well, about 1/4 the size of an Explora ship too....

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

And no where capable of going to the same destinations..  

How so (if you mean Le CC isn't capable)? Serious question.

Edited by rrrrtt

10 hours ago, rrrrtt said:

How so (if you mean Le CC isn't capable)? Serious question.

Le Commandant is the ONLY in the world PC2 ice class ship, it can go places no other ship except for Russian ice breakers can go.  We went to the geographic North Pole on it.  A true expedition ship like no other.  It is a totally different experience than being on Explora which is not an expedition ship nor claims to be.  Explora was a great ship for warm weather cruises with all the outside bars, deck space.  Now if they solve the lack of shaded places it would be even better.

Ah. I mistakenly thought you were implying that it was Le CC not being able to go where the Explora could.  Even the older Ponant ships can go to many more places.