NCL Star: Did I make a mistake booking Aft Facing Suite on deck 8?

Hello,

New to cruising and my wife and I are diving in the deep end by taking a 16 night repositioning cruise on the Star next Spring. We wanted a suite and the only aft facing suites (which looked good to the price) left were on deck 8. Then I saw the Bliss lounge is right underneath on 7. Are we going to be kept awake until 2AM every night by the noise from below??

I saw some comments that this is a problem, but nothing recently (since the refitting in 2018). Should we try to move to another suite if possible?

Thanks!!

Welcome to cruise critic. Wow 16 nights for your first cruise is certainly taking the plunge. Generally the advice is to look for a cabin with cabins above and below as the best option but there are no guarantees. We have had the perfect midship balcony but our neighbour had a hacking cough which lasted day and night for our whole cruise. 

A 16 day cruise will have fewer party people than a 7 day trip plus noise from below is less of an issue than from above. 

Ships can be noisy places  because of people and machinery so if you are sensitive bring earplugs.

I don't think an aft suite for 16 days could be considered a mistake says the girl who is more than happy in an inside.

Thanks much! The issue is the Bliss Lounge is like a nightclub and I heard specific issues about the 8th Aft on Dawn-class ships because of this being on 7. I was wondering if it is still a problem (a more recent experience) on the Star or other, similar Dawn-class

Yes, welcome to CC.

Have not seen recent reports.

That said, that area used to be shops then moved shops and put in lounge.  Tons of reports at the time about loud noise into the night.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Phalex said:

Hello,

New to cruising and my wife and I are diving in the deep end by taking a 16 night repositioning cruise on the Star next Spring. We wanted a suite and the only aft facing suites (which looked good to the price) left were on deck 8. Then I saw the Bliss lounge is right underneath on 7. Are we going to be kept awake until 2AM every night by the noise from below??

I saw some comments that this is a problem, but nothing recently (since the refitting in 2018). Should we try to move to another suite if possible?

Thanks!!

One thing I did not like about the aft suite on the Gem (twice) was the amount of soot and sometimes trash that would land on it. On our cruise to Bermuda the room steward was out there every morning washing the deck and chairs down. In June we are going to Bermuda in a forward suite this time

• Thanks 1

Sailed in January on the Star. Aft facing balcony,  not suite, on deck 8.  Bliss Lounge on many nights very loud, like you were actually down stairs at the show ! Had to call front desk several times to ask they lower volume. Neighbors also complained.  Would not sail book aft facing on deck 8 again.  Just to add, we have also been in aft balcony on deck 9, no problems.  Aft facing our favorite. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nanij said:

Sailed in January on the Star. Aft facing balcony,  not suite, on deck 8.  Bliss Lounge on many nights very loud, like you were actually down stairs at the show ! Had to call front desk several times to ask they lower volume. Neighbors also complained.  Would not sail book aft facing on deck 8 again.  Just to add, we have also been in aft balcony on deck 9, no problems.  Aft facing our favorite. 

I wish there was more availability! We actually bit the bullet and upgraded to FF suite on 10. I didn't want to spend all this $$ for having to complain about not being able to get some shut-eye.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phalex said:

I wish there was more availability! We actually bit the bullet and upgraded to FF suite on 10. I didn't want to spend all this $$ for having to complain about not being able to get some shut-eye.

Nice, The Star is similar to the Gem.... What cabin did you get?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Nice, The Star is similar to the Gem.... What cabin did you get?

Thanks Laslo, that looks like 10000, we are next door in 10500. This video is before the refitting in 2018:  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phalex said:

Nice deep balconies on 10. 2 loungers can face right out at the wake.

• Like 2

A related question.  Are the suites on the corners of deck 8 aft with wrap around deck just as loud(from Bliss Lounge).  I am assuming so.

After they moved the lounge and people figured out not to book deck eight, those in bidding pool would win bids to deck eight only to come here and report bad experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, davencl said:

Just booked deck 10,  this thread saved us sleepless nights...

Glad it helped! Your lucky to have gotten onto 10...our cruise next March the 10th deck was booked!