Late night arrival Vancouver - Airport Hotel suggestions

We will be arriving in Vancouver close to midnight , night before our cruise.  Thinking an Airport hotel would be our best option, looking for recommendations.

Thank You in advance.

1 hour ago, Bristol5 said:

We will be arriving in Vancouver close to midnight , night before our cruise.  Thinking an Airport hotel would be our best option, looking for recommendations.

Thank You in advance.

You can't do much better than the Fairmont at YVR. It's attached to the terminal and one of the best airport hotels I've stayed at. 

Posted (edited)

Honestly, unless you've got the budget for the Fairmont every other airport hotel could take you as long or longer to get to than heading downtown - no traffic at night whereas no hotel has more than a single shuttle vehicle and none I'm aware of have a shuttle driver with no other jobs.

So when you call your hotel from the courtesy phones, the delay is at best "Good news, someone called before you, the bus should be outside in a couple of minutes!" plus drive time to the hotel of anywhere from 7 to 30+ minutes (some Surrey hotels cheekily call themselves 'airport' even though they're further away than downtown is!) and at worst is "I just need to go find the driver, he should be on his way in a few minutes" with 20mins+ wait time until you get to the hotel.

Whereas if the cab queue is minimal, you could be checking in at a downtown hotel in 30mins... and then when you wake up next morning you could be within walking distance of the pier and multiple things to do instead of facing commuter traffic inbound etc.

Oh, and if budget is tight then the YWCA Hotel downtown is usually cheaper than airport hotels anyway, despite being one of the best-reviewed hotels at any price in the region.

Edited by martincath

13 hours ago, martincath said:

Honestly, unless you've got the budget for the Fairmont every other airport hotel could take you as long or longer to get to than heading downtown - no traffic at night whereas no hotel has more than a single shuttle vehicle and none I'm aware of have a shuttle driver with no other jobs.

So when you call your hotel from the courtesy phones, the delay is at best "Good news, someone called before you, the bus should be outside in a couple of minutes!" plus drive time to the hotel of anywhere from 7 to 30+ minutes (some Surrey hotels cheekily call themselves 'airport' even though they're further away than downtown is!) and at worst is "I just need to go find the driver, he should be on his way in a few minutes" with 20mins+ wait time until you get to the hotel.

Whereas if the cab queue is minimal, you could be checking in at a downtown hotel in 30mins... and then when you wake up next morning you could be within walking distance of the pier and multiple things to do instead of facing commuter traffic inbound etc.

Oh, and if budget is tight then the YWCA Hotel downtown is usually cheaper than airport hotels anyway, despite being one of the best-reviewed hotels at any price in the region.

Will there be cabs available that late to get to a downtown hotel?  

Martincath:  About a year or so ago you recommended the Blue Horizon, we stayed there and loved it!!!! Thank You very much for all your help.

8 minutes ago, Bristol5 said:

Will there be cabs available that late to get to a downtown hotel?  

Indeed there will - nightshift cabbies with an airport medallion make bank from late night trips, as the fixed rate fare zone prices are set to several dollars higher than what the meter would have been when there's no traffic to worry about.

If you have Uber/Lyft apps, then as long as there's no Surge in effect you should save a fair bit on a latenight ride.

Glad you enjoyed BH last time; those nice corner view rooms might be a bit wasted on you rolling in c.1am, but if you can get a good price at least you know the 'hood!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Our flight from LAX to YVR is scheduled to arrive at 11:50pm on a Saturday night for our Sunday morning sailing. I'm planning to just stay near the airport that night since the hotel prices are significantly lower and we'll only be in the room about 8 or 9 hours. The cheapest that I am seeing for anything in the Downtown area is around $400.

I can get a Priceline Express deal for about $210 at the Abercorn. Reviews seem pretty questionable though. Anyone have any experience with this hotel?

What would be your recommendations for getting from the airport area up to Canada Place on Sunday morning? I just figured taking a Lyft, but is there anything better?

10 hours ago, gvgseg said:

Our flight from LAX to YVR is scheduled to arrive at 11:50pm on a Saturday night for our Sunday morning sailing. I'm planning to just stay near the airport that night since the hotel prices are significantly lower and we'll only be in the room about 8 or 9 hours. The cheapest that I am seeing for anything in the Downtown area is around $400.

I can get a Priceline Express deal for about $210 at the Abercorn. Reviews seem pretty questionable though. Anyone have any experience with this hotel?

What would be your recommendations for getting from the airport area up to Canada Place on Sunday morning? I just figured taking a Lyft, but is there anything better?

If it were me and I did not have a lot of bags I would walk to the skytrain station and take the train.  Bridgeport is under 10 minutes walk.  Quick train ride to waterfront station. Walk across the street towards the Costco, keep going past the Costco along Great Canadian Way for about two blocks.

The train is $3.15 CDN per person.  Just tap your credit card on the faregate.  Tap the same card when you leave at Waterfront.

Uber and Lyft both operate in the Vancouver area.  That option will work.

Generally traffic will be lighter going into downtown on a Sunday morning.