Need some help with excursions

Skippy

Hi. We are sailing on celebrity edge to Alaska. Our ports are Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Endicott Arm, Victoria.

we are wanting to do some excursions on our own and wondering if it’s feasible. Are there any hikes we can take that are easy to get to? 
thanks!

I first want to say that I do not have a direct answer to your question, but I am looking into the same type of activities in some of the ports. I wanted to pass on a website that I use anytime I travel someplace new, www.AllTrails.com. You can type in the name of the city you are going to, and it will list the best hikes in the area, even breaks them down by difficulty level and length of the hike. You may have to do a little research to see how far each of these would be from your cruise port, but at least it gives you a place to start. I will try to post a link, but I am not sure if it will let me:

AllTrails: Trail Guides & Maps for Hiking, Camping, and Running | AllTrails

• Like 1

The easiest place for self hikes within in walking distance of the ship is probably in Skagway. Here is a link with some info:

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

In Ketchikan, there is some good hiking around the Ward Lake area, but you would need transportation. We generally rent a car.

Same in Juneau - there are hikes at Mendenhall Glacier, Perseverance Trail, and Treadwell Mine, but all would require you to have a means of transportation to get there.

One option in Juneau that is walkable from the ship is to take Mount Roberts Tramway to the top, (or you can hike up, but that is strenuous and muddy at times), and there are hiking trails at the top that you can take from the Visitor's Center area.

In Juneau we took the tram up and then hiked further up from the top of the tram.   The hiking is free (at least when we were there) - it has spectacular views, you are hiking way above sea level.   Although the tram was crowded the trails are not.   There are a lot of trails up there you could hike a long while or a short while, whatever you want.   Only drawback is that it was quite windy, there are not a lot of trees or windbreaks up there.

Look on youtube for last years Alaska hikes. Skagway has great looking ones easy and hard. Some train up hike down. Look for personal ones. Chris Wong is one name to search Ak cities.