What NOT to Pack on a Cruise (& other things to know before your cruise)

On 5/21/2024 at 6:37 AM, CDNPolar said:

Makes sense.  Ships don't want them buzzing around.  Even as a past drone user, I would find that annoying.

I'd be afraid mine would end up in the ocean!

12 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I'd be afraid mine would end up in the ocean!

For anyone that is not experienced using a drone, they typically return to the GPS location where they launched.  If the ship is moving that position is very likely an open area of ocean and yes, it would end up in the ocean.

We only used our drone once on a River ship.  We had permission from the Captain, the cruise line, and the country we were in.  

We used it while onboard only once and that was on the Douro River while we were in a lock.  We wanted the arial view.  When we reached the top of the lock, but not yet sailing again, we did one "buzz" around the ship for a 360 view.

Immediately after this we had a complaint that we were invading the privacy of the guests but what turned out to be the case is the person doing the complaining was smoking on her balcony and she thought that she had been exposed.  Of course smoking is not allowed on the balcony.

9 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

For anyone that is not experienced using a drone, they typically return to the GPS location where they launched. 

The expensive real ones definitely do this. And even some "toy" ones have a "stay by the operator" setting. Mine is a cheapo one that doesn't do that and can't get more than 300 ft away from me.

But the flip side is that it doesn't need to follow the drone law as it's not considered a drone. (I'm sure the cruise line would still confiscate it though.)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MacMadame said:

The expensive real ones definitely do this. And even some "toy" ones have a "stay by the operator" setting. Mine is a cheapo one that doesn't do that and can't get more than 300 ft away from me.

But the flip side is that it doesn't need to follow the drone law as it's not considered a drone. (I'm sure the cruise line would still confiscate it though.)

Drones have a very specific "buzzing" sound from the speed of the propellers and we also experienced people sharing their distaste for this sound when they could hear it.

With all the permission and care possible taken, it just was not a pleasant experience for us and so we sold the drone shortly after our last time using it.

Posted (edited)
On 5/17/2024 at 8:55 AM, CDNPolar said:

I move away from negative people.  If I meet someone on a cruise that then starts to spout negativity I then begin to distance myself from them.  Unfortunately one person we cruised with one time (and never again) began being negative about many things.   This is not how it is at home, this is not how I would make this dish, and on and on...

Makes me remember a guy who was on a cruise with us a couple years ago -- what a pain, and he popped up constantly! 

- We first encountered him in the terminal, when he pushed ahead of us to get his stuff on the x-ray conveyor first. 

- Then we saw him being rude to terminal staff during check-in. 

- Once he pushed ahead of me at the towel station, and he pretended not to speak English. 

- We saw him being rude in the Windjammer several times.  He'd tell people to hurry up with their selections, complain to staff about the food, etc.  

Why do people act this way?  We knew his name, and for a long time we'd jokingly say to one another, "Now don't you be a ____".  

On 5/19/2024 at 11:29 AM, OldCaver said:

While most first time cruisers aren't going to be on a trans-Atlantic, (though I was!) if you take a TA bring salty snacks. They're sometimes hard to find onboard, and very expensive at the ports. You'll crave some by about the tenth day.

Salty snacks are kinda rare on the ship. If that's your thing, maybe bring some onboard.  

We used to enjoy the trail mix at the British pub -- we'd take a carafe back to our room -- but I think that's gone now.  

On 5/21/2024 at 9:37 AM, CDNPolar said:

Makes sense.  Ships don't want them buzzing around.  Even as a past drone user, I would find that annoying.

Consider, too, not everyone's a competent pilot ... imagine if the drone owner hit a passenger just laying out by the pool.  Especially if he'd had a few drinks before playing with his drone.  Or if he allowed a child to pilot the drone.  Totally too much liability for the ship!  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

On 5/18/2024 at 2:16 PM, Mary229 said:

Surge protectors. A coffee pot or other heat plate. A fan - the cruise ship likely has some by request. Check your destinations for prohibited items and

prohibited drugs. Toilet paper - cruise ships need special toilet paper.  Flushable wipes - they aren’t flushable anywhere.  

I do bring snacks after an 8 hour flight where food was expected yet never arrived. Lesson learned.  I also bring my own trail mix for hiking.  

A fan is not permitted?  Oops- I brought a small plastic fan that plugs into a USB port on the Celebrity cruise we just did in Italy. 

What about an extension cord that doesn’t have a surge protector?  
I didn’t bring one of those but we needed more plugs.
thanks in advance 

6 hours ago, lwid77 said:

A fan is not permitted?  Oops- I brought a small plastic fan that plugs into a USB port on the Celebrity cruise we just did in Italy. 

thanks in advance 

They are permitted but why carry one if the cruise line will supply one

9 hours ago, lwid77 said:

thanks in advance 

Extensions or power bars that don't have surge protectors are allowed.

We have found a plug adaptor that has not only the standard North American outlet plug but 4 USB outlets as well.  This allows a plug from a laptop, and then 4 USB cords to charge phones, watches, etc.  No need for a power bar with a couple of these and much easier to carry.

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Extensions or power bars that don't have surge protectors are allowed.

We have found a plug adaptor that has not only the standard North American outlet plug but 4 USB outlets as well.  This allows a plug from a laptop, and then 4 USB cords to charge phones, watches, etc.  No need for a power bar with a couple of these and much easier to carry.

Thank you! 

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

They are permitted but why carry one if the cruise line will supply one

I’d rather be sure than have them not have one.  It’s small and very lightweight 

22 hours ago, lwid77 said:

A fan is not permitted?

It's not on the forbidden list for my cruise line. The USB ones are touted by cruise influencers as cruise friendly as well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MacMadame said:

It's not on the forbidden list for my cruise line. The USB ones are touted by cruise influencers as cruise friendly as well.

I have a USB fan but it is more for use under hot sun on an excursion if I am melting. 

It can sit on a table top as well and apparently had 21 hours of power on on speed.

It can also work as a battery backup to charge your phone.  Note this is a CDN price on Amazon.

image.thumb.png.51592e13f1d2fb5cda0c518a183f679e.png

• Like 1