going from retreat to concierge!

We are going on our 5th Celebrity cruise in July, an ABC on Beyond in a magic carpet sky suite.  We also had one booked for November of 25.  However, I discovered we could do a week on MSC next March in the Yacht Club for over $2000 less than that one, so I booked it.

I didn't want to completely cancel the 11/25 and lose my retreat deposit, so I rebooked this October on Reflection in concierge.

Our first Celebrity was on Equinox and although Luminae was great, that was about it for amenities I enjoyed.  I LOVE the pool deck on Ascent and Beyond.  Also on Reflection the retreat lounge/retreat aren't in the best spots.  Without the special pool deck it's not the Retreat I enjoy.

So I decided to just go with concierge.  I upgraded the drinks during a flash sale, along with upgrading the internet with priority embarkation, and got a sunset room on the aft.  We can live with the main dining room.

I would appreciate support from anyone who has done this recently.   Although I'm pleased with the financial aspect of my decision, I am still a little nervous about it.

• Haha 1

I would agree with your logic particularly since you are on an S class ship. Our main (only) reason for booking Retreat was also the pool and sundeck on E class. On S class it just doesn't offer as much particularly on warm weather cruises or those with intense itineraries. Just curious as to why you would not book AQ as this was our go to on S class (subject to pricing of course). We are doing something similar next Jan. ie we will be in suite on Sun Princess go to a balacony on HAL (with Orange Club) and then go to YC. We certainly aren't 'dreading our balcony room on HAL. X Retreat has lost it's luster for us due to pricing and inconsistencies in product.

On the Reflection there isn’t much for suite class that you can’t purchase.  With the Access pass you get priority boarding and room service plus two devices with premium wifi.  The only things I can think of you will be missing from sky suite life are Michael’s Club, Luminae, a Butler and bigger room and bathroom.  All perks that are hard to put a monetary value on.  It comes down to preferences.  

24 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

I would agree with your logic particularly since you are on an S class ship. Our main (only) reason for booking Retreat was also the pool and sundeck on E class. On S class it just doesn't offer as much particularly on warm weather cruises or those with intense itineraries. Just curious as to why you would not book AQ as this was our go to on S class (subject to pricing of course). We are doing something similar next Jan. ie we will be in suite on Sun Princess go to a balacony on HAL (with Orange Club) and then go to YC. We certainly aren't 'dreading our balcony room on HAL. X Retreat has lost it's luster for us due to pricing and inconsistencies in product.

Yes, that was the reasoning.  It is only a 4 nighter and we LOVE aft cabins so I thought I'd go that route.

2 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

On the Reflection there isn’t much for suite class that you can’t purchase.  With the Access pass you get priority boarding and room service plus two devices with premium wifi.  The only things I can think of you will be missing from sky suite life are Michael’s Club, Luminae, a Butler and bigger room and bathroom.  All perks that are hard to put a monetary value on.  It comes down to preferences.  

I did get the access pass the other day during a flash sale.  So as you said the only perks are Michael's, Luminae, and a butler. Still get daily snacks though!

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

Just curious as to why you would not book AQ as this was our go to on S class (subject to pricing of course).

I thought the same thing… why not Aqua. Concierge offers nothing. And personally we even prefer Aqua over suites.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

I am a little confused how you went from the November cruise to the October cruise.  I was told I would loose my entire deposit if I didn't go on the cruise I originally had booked.  Personally, I thought I would just lose $200 by moving to another cruise but my TA said I'd lose the entire deposit?  I had $1000 deposit on a suite and this is what I was told.

49 minutes ago, SeaMee said:

I am a little confused how you went from the November cruise to the October cruise.  I was told I would loose my entire deposit if I didn't go on the cruise I originally had booked.  Personally, I thought I would just lose $200 by moving to another cruise but my TA said I'd lose the entire deposit?  I had $1000 deposit on a suite and this is what I was told.

TA rules may well be different than Celebrity's.

16 hours ago, SeaMee said:

I was not using a TA.  If I canceled the cruise I would lose the whole retreat deposit.  If I rebooked on another cruise it only cost $200 change fee.  That's why we just chose a small one.

17 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I thought the same thing… why not Aqua. Concierge offers nothing. And personally we even prefer Aqua over suites.

Location.  Blu doesn't really interest me, and I like the aft cabins.  Also you do get daily snacks in concierge and a few small perks, nothing like Retreat but OK.  My sister sailed concierge on Reflection in March.

Sometimes we sail in suites and enjoy the amenities. Sometimes we don't and then we enjoy the usual amenities. Never had a bad cruise either way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RMac713 said:

Location.  Blu doesn't really interest me, and I like the aft cabins.  Also you do get daily snacks in concierge and a few small perks, nothing like Retreat but OK.  My sister sailed concierge on Reflection in March.

🤔 you also get the snacks in Aqua just like all other perks except for embarkation day lunch. And we actually prefer Blu over Luminae… but each to their own.