Odyssey Guarantee

Trying to understand the cabins on Odyssey. I know many of deck 6/7 have obstructed views. We had an obstructed one on our last cruise but I wouldn’t consider it obstructed at all and planned to book it again till I was on the website.

When you go to book on the website you can select the “we pick your room” which is a GTY that can be anywhere on the ship or “you pick your room” that has a “Ocean View Balcony Guarantee” option for about a $100 more a person over the GTY. Are these guaranteed not to be lifeboat obstructed and will be assigned to any regular balcony or higher? They are still cheaper than choosing your own cabin and in the details is list them as a 1D-5D category which isn’t a deck 6/7 lifeboat as those have their own E category.

1 hour ago, CruisingHogFan said:

When you go to book on the website you can select the “we pick your room” which is a GTY that can be anywhere on the ship or “you pick your room” that has a “Ocean View Balcony Guarantee” option for about a $100 more a person over the GTY. Are these guaranteed not to be lifeboat obstructed and will be assigned to any regular balcony or higher?

Unless it's a specific category GTY (like 4D) don't pay anything extra for any other balcony GTY. That may even be an IT glitch as Q class don't usually have more than one general balcony GTY.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Unless it's a specific category GTY (like 4D) don't pay anything extra for any other balcony GTY. That may even be an IT glitch as Q class don't usually have more than one general balcony GTY.

I’ve looked at more sailings. Most sailings have the cheapest “we pick your room” offer and it says can be anywhere including the lifeboat obstructed.

Some sailings then have Obstructed Balcony Guarantee and a OceanView Balcony Guarantee under “pick you own room”. The Obstructed has the E deck code and is about $100 cheaper per person and the Balcony Guarantee has the D deck code. 

I will call when I have time but thought some of the more experienced TA would know.

Edited by CruisingHogFan

8 minutes ago, CruisingHogFan said:

I’ve looked at more sailings. Most sailings have the cheapest “we pick your room” offer and it says can be anywhere including the lifeboat obstructed.

Some sailings then have Obstructed Balcony Guarantee and a OceanView Balcony Guarantee under “pick you own room”. The Obstructed has the E deck code and is about $100 cheaper per person and the Balcony Guarantee has the D deck code. 

I will call when I have time but thought some of the more experienced TA would know.

TA's use a separate booking engine and can see exactly what they are booking.  You are using Royals website that leaves much to be desired so you really wont get much help as Royal never does tell you the exact category you are booking for guaranteeson their consumer site.  

17 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

TA's use a separate booking engine and can see exactly what they are booking.  You are using Royals website that leaves much to be desired so you really wont get much help as Royal never does tell you the exact category you are booking for guaranteeson their consumer site.  

Thanks for the information!! The website has never been great.

I'm not too worried about exact category or location (any D category). But just trying to stay away from the E obstructed and seems like this is a way to do it and save about a $1,000 from picking my own oceanview (D category)

8 hours ago, CruisingHogFan said:

It seems RCI is trying to confuse things by not making it obvious that they likely mean an E and D category GTY instead of the generic XB GTY.  I would still be weary of picking any non-category specific GTY if you really want to stay away from E cabins. Not sure that even an RCI CSR call will eliminate that possibility.