“Antarctica” cruises 2025

Wondering if you guys can help to at least give your personal opinion what you think will happen. I am looking at the below 3 cruises on the Star in Feb-Mar 2025. 

Feb 2nd 2025 - Antarctica & South America 

Title of cruise still says Antarctica and Itinerary and map still shows a “drive by”To Paradise Bay and Elephant Island

Feb 16th 2025 -  South America: Argentina & Chile

Itinerary and map still shows a “drive by”To Paradise Bay and Elephant Island

March 1st 2025 - South America: Brazil & Argentina

——-

Question is: do you think all 3 of these cruises still “plan” to visit Paradise Bay or not? It’s such a crucial part of the cruise and probably the only reason why I would book any of these 3 cruises. I find it very confusing that it’s so unclear even though it’s such crucial information. I tried to ask the agent via chat and they basically wanted to talk over the phone so wouldn’t answer via chat. 

Of course if they plan to visit and do not end up going due to whatever reason later then this is another topic. I just want to know if they still plan to visit. I know this happened in feb 2024…

Also I am aware this is Just a drive by cruise and will not step foot on land so I don’t want to turn this into a discussion on going on an expedition cruise.

Thanks

On 5/9/2024 at 11:40 PM, Twong84 said:

Wondering if you guys can help to at least give your personal opinion what you think will happen. I am looking at the below 3 cruises on the Star in Feb-Mar 2025. 

Feb 2nd 2025 - Antarctica & South America 

Title of cruise still says Antarctica and Itinerary and map still shows a “drive by”To Paradise Bay and Elephant Island

Feb 16th 2025 -  South America: Argentina & Chile

March 1st 2025 - South America: Brazil & Argentina

——-

Question is: do you think all 3 of these cruises still “plan” to visit Paradise Bay or not? It’s such a crucial part of the cruise and probably the only reason why I would book any of these 3 cruises. I find it very confusing that it’s so unclear even though it’s such crucial information. I tried to ask the agent via chat and they basically wanted to talk over the phone so wouldn’t answer via chat. 

Of course if they plan to visit and do not end up going due to whatever reason later then this is another topic. I just want to know if they still plan to visit. I know this happened in feb 2024…

Also I am aware this is Just a drive by cruise and will not step foot on land so I don’t want to turn this into a discussion on going on an expedition cruise.

Thanks

I will tell you from personal experience, i was on the Star this past feb 18th, we cruised down to elephant island and admiralty bay only... we did not go further south due to safety reasons. Although we didn't go further south as originally planned, it was still amazing and out of 16 cruises, its still my favorite one. Would HIGHLY recommend this cruise. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 7Contraveler said:

I will tell you from personal experience, i was on the Star this past feb 18th, we cruised down to elephant island and admiralty bay only... we did not go further south due to safety reasons. Although we didn't go further south as originally planned, it was still amazing and out of 16 cruises, its still my favorite one. Would HIGHLY recommend this cruise. 

thanks so much for your response. I heard about the issues and what happened this year. Glad to hear you still found the cruise to be amazing even though they skipped paradise bay.

I guess what I am looking for here is confirmation that Paradise Bay is still on the itinerary, and then worst case they only visit elephant island and admiralty bay as a “consolation”.

what I find unclear is whether paradise bay is still on the plan. If it’s still on the plan then at least there will be a chance that it will visit there. The itinerary still shows it so I am hoping it stays.

We are scheduled for the Jan 5th cruise and have the same question. Especially after the cruises this year. I just wish NCL was more transparent about the changes in the itinerary and if they can happen again.

For me, just a clear statement to ensure that paradise bay is still on the itinerary would be sufficient. 

of course what happens on the actual cruise itself is a different story

I am debating this for 2026 or the Africa cruise. It's just a thought, but it would be nice to have one of the away plus ships to do this route with their observation lounge.  The horror stories I hear about the Star are my concern for this trip.

I also forgot to mention, the star had 3 Antarctica scientists giving daily lectures about the amazing planet. Went to each presentation and was another highlight of the trip.

• Like 1

Had the same question after the drama from this past season- summarized in the revolt post reposted above.

I think what all of us on a Star cruise in 2025 are worried about is NCL keeping Paradise Bay on the posted itineraries in their website and then changing it right after final payment, or even right before sailing like they did last year. Like others have mentioned, I wouldn't be upset to miss it if due to weather or some unforeseen reason we cannot get there. Keyword: unforeseen. However, if NCL knows the ship can't get there because of laws and limitations and are holding out on telling customers now who are

booking this trip because of Paradise Bay, that doesn't sit well with me. We are all looking for a little reassurance after what happened a few months ago before we commit to spending thousands on a cruise and flights.

4 hours ago, Alegeeter said:

Had the same question after the drama from this past season- summarized in the revolt post reposted above.

I think what all of us on a Star cruise in 2025 are worried about is NCL keeping Paradise Bay on the posted itineraries in their website and then changing it right after final payment, or even right before sailing like they did last year. Like others have mentioned, I wouldn't be upset to miss it if due to weather or some unforeseen reason we cannot get there. Keyword: unforeseen. However, if NCL knows the ship can't get there because of laws and limitations and are holding out on telling customers now who are

booking this trip because of Paradise Bay, that doesn't sit well with me. We are all looking for a little reassurance after what happened a few months ago before we commit to spending thousands on a cruise and flights.

In response to one of the other threads about cancellation after final payment, a poster stated that they no longer book NCL cruises in advance, and only book close to sailing at a discount price so if the itinerary changes after final payment for a nonemergency reason they won't be upset.  This seems like a really wise strategy to consider about booking with NCL, but  unfortunately, with a bucket list trip like to Antarctica, the last minute airfare prices would make it extremely difficult to utilize this strategy.

46 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

In response to one of the other threads about cancellation after final payment, a poster stated that they no longer book NCL cruises in advance, and only book close to sailing at a discount price so if the itinerary changes after final payment for a nonemergency reason they won't be upset.  This seems like a really wise strategy to consider about booking with NCL, but  unfortunately, with a bucket list trip like to Antarctica, the last minute airfare prices would make it extremely difficult to utilize this strategy.

Exactly! My airfare has already tripled in price since I booked it and the cruise fare has nearly doubled. Great strategy otherwise!

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Alegeeter said:

wow I didn’t even think of it from that perspective. I was more thinking they left paradise bay in itinerary by accident, when the cruise only intends to visit elephant island.

now you have got me thinking about “NCL keeping paradise bay in the itinerary on purpose to get more people to book then either pull it after final payment or even worse, pull it after the cruise starts”.

It blows my mind that we are even suggesting such a huge company like NCL could do this on purpose but after the fiasco this year I am now worried. It’s almost like we are buying something from the black market from a dodgy seller.

Worst thing is there are no other choices in feb 2025 unless we take one of the expedition options.

Really not sure whether to book now..I would be extremely disappointed if we do not go to paradise bay. This will only be bearable if it was due to unforeseen circumstances, like weather etc. 

I think most people will need to travel far but we would have to take 2x14 hour long haul flights to get to Buenos Aires.

Edited by Twong84
Edit

17 hours ago, Twong84 said:

It blows my mind that we are even suggesting such a huge company like NCL could do this on purpose but after the fiasco this year I am now worried. It’s almost like we are buying something from the black market from a dodgy seller.

Feels entirely possible. I'm switching lines for Antarctica because of it, although I'll continue booking NCL for less spectacular cruises.

I would not trust NCL on this.  Bait and switch seems to be their modus operandi.  I will book Sapphire Princess, which I know has a great naturalist on board who does Alaska in the summers, and which also has scientists get on and lecture.  

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

I would not trust NCL on this.  Bait and switch seems to be their modus operandi.  I will book Sapphire Princess, which I know has a great naturalist on board who does Alaska in the summers, and which also has scientists get on and lecture.  

A little off topic but the NCL Antarctica cruises have traditionally had 2-3 naturalists onboard for the entire cruise. Lots of lectures and commentary along the way.

Well I have put a deposit on the 13 day sailing (princess dates don’t work for me in 2025) and it still shows Paradise Bay in the schedule. I just hope I am not just kidding myself here.

what is even more weird is the 14 day sailings still shows Antarctica in the title, however the 13 day one I booked only shows as Argentina and Chile….

here is the booking confirmation itinerary 

IMG_0854.jpeg

• Like 1