Civitavecchia Port Arrival Time

dbug4

For the May 19th-26th Irresistible Med & Rome cruise, it shows where we arrive in port at 8:00 am.  For those who have cruised VV, do you know if we are able to disembark exactly at 8:00?  Doesn't have to be specific to this particular port, but I'm trying to gauge if the ship arrives early, can we sometimes disembark earlier?  I've booked a private transfer from the port to Vatican City and I am trying to make sure I give them the right time. Ideally I'd like to be off asap to make a tour I've booked at the Vatican.  I'm going to call VV today, but thought I'd check here also.

At other ports, we could disembark about 30 minutes after the ship arrived.  Of course. there can always be exceptions for emergencies.  Yes, if the ship arrives early and all the needed processes are completed, you might be able to get off early, but not likely.  Good luck with talking to Sailor Services shoreside.  They only know what their computers say.

• Like 1

Arrival times and disembarkment times are always estimated. Cruise lines can never give you a definitive time you will exit the ship. Weather, port conditions and other ships arriving at the same time can cause delays.  8am is the time they expect to be able to open the gangway. But that can be off by up to an hour. 

Ship has to be secured, all security operations and gangway have to be ready, the ship has to be cleared by the local officials and then the gangway can open for operation. 

As noted above, Sailor Services is simply going to tell you 8am is the scheduled arrival time. They cannot give you any further information than that because each port arrival is different. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 7:18 AM, dbug4 said:

For the May 19th-26th Irresistible Med & Rome cruise, it shows where we arrive in port at 8:00 am.  For those who have cruised VV, do you know if we are able to disembark exactly at 8:00?  Doesn't have to be specific to this particular port, but I'm trying to gauge if the ship arrives early, can we sometimes disembark earlier?  I've booked a private transfer from the port to Vatican City and I am trying to make sure I give them the right time. Ideally I'd like to be off asap to make a tour I've booked at the Vatican.  I'm going to call VV today, but thought I'd check here also.

Not sure why calling VV is something you even consider, they literally have zero control over a ships arrival and departure, the local authorities, or the weather. Because you have a non VV excursion, you are actually going to most likely be closer to last off the ship. 

Edited by Tyler414

2 hours ago, Tyler414 said:

Because you have a non VV excursion, you are actually going to most likely be closer to last off the ship. 

This has not been my experience on VV. It does work that way on other lines.  On all of our VV stops, the ports have been where we can walk off the gangway (no tenders).  As such, there has been no "we take the 200 people in this group first" situation.  Yes, if you want to be off early, get to the gangway as soon as it opens.  The VV excursion people will have been given a time to meet up, but you can beat them!

• Like 2