taxi reservation in Juneau

sharon_pei

We plan to make a taxi reservation when the ship arrives in Juneau and not really sure how to make it work:

1. delays:  from earlier post here i learned the easiest way is to call one of the local taxi company for a reservation. for this i assume i would need to give a pickup time. but i also heard it's likely that ship arrival might get delayed for various reasons. in case this happens, how would i be able to let the taxi company know to update the pickup time from the ship? I don't think i will have cell coverage from the ship and even if there is some kind of roaming based coverage available, we don't plan to use it. 

2. where to meet: newbie to cruise but i assume when ship arrives, several thousand people get off the ship in a short period of time. how to arrange for a pickup location so that it wouldn't be confusing on both sides (driver and passenger)

3. any specific taxi company to recommend for this purpose?
Thank you!

I have the impression that our OP is taking their first cruise, and doesn't realize that ships frequently arrive early.  Also the distance between Alaska ports makes it easy to arrive on earlier versus later than scheduled.

• Like 1

One of my coworker just told me this morning that their princess cruise last year arrived in Juneau 3+ hours late due to a medical evaluation based reroute prior to getting to Juneau and for this reason they missed the helicopter ride pre-booked but luckily it was with the cruise line so no financial loss from this rerouting. Is this extremely rare?

15 minutes ago, sharon_pei said:

One of my coworker just told me this morning that their princess cruise last year arrived in Juneau 3+ hours late due to a medical evaluation based reroute prior to getting to Juneau and for this reason they missed the helicopter ride pre-booked but luckily it was with the cruise line so no financial loss from this rerouting. Is this extremely rare?

Yes -- that is an extremely unusual situation.  Don't assume it is the norm.  Princess is not my preferred cruise line, but the cruise line we frequently use (we are on a cruise ship 80 to 90 days a year) has extra time built into their schedule.  So if they had a delay due to an evacuation (ie, leaving the port late due to waiting for an ambulance to arrive to evacuate a passenger) they can cruise at a faster speed to make up the time.  The ship can also cruise at a faster speed to deal with weather delays.

And I should have included in my prior post that we have had no issues with cell coverage while docked in Alaska ports.  No strange roaming fees.