About That "Upgrades On Us" Offer

Dr H

We are brand new to Cunard, and have two Japan cruises booked for May, '25, with their wonderful, "Upgrades on Us" offer. I cannot find any mention of just what gets upgraded beyond the location of your stateroom, and when that "upgrade" miraculously appears. Not that I want to be greedy or anything, but can anyone shed some light on what appears to be one very "non" offer? Just what are they actually offering? When do we receive it, if ever? Just curious. They've got my deposit, I'm not planning on cancelling any time soon.

15 minutes ago, Dr H said:

We are brand new to Cunard, and have two Japan cruises booked for May, '25, with their wonderful, "Upgrades on Us" offer. I cannot find any mention of just what gets upgraded beyond the location of your stateroom, and when that "upgrade" miraculously appears. Not that I want to be greedy or anything, but can anyone shed some light on what appears to be one very "non" offer? Just what are they actually offering? When do we receive it, if ever? Just curious. They've got my deposit, I'm not planning on cancelling any time soon.

As I understand the “Upgrades on Us” offer, it does not actually involve an—eventual or potential—cabin upgrade. Instead, when you book, you are charged the fare for the next lower cabin category than what you are booking: for example, if you are booking a sheltered balcony midships (BU), you will only pay the rate for a sheltered balcony mid-aft or mid-forward (BV). Since you’ve already booked, you have already received, in effect, your upgrade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rmsEtruria said:

As I understand the “Upgrades on Us” offer, it does not actually involve an—eventual or potential—cabin upgrade. Instead, when you book, you are charged the fare for the next lower cabin category than what you are booking: for example, if you are booking a sheltered balcony midships (BU), you will only pay the rate for a sheltered balcony mid-aft or mid-forward (BV). Since you’ve already booked, you have already received, in effect, your upgrade.

Yes, that's how it has worked for me in the past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And it may or may not apply in all fare classes. Our first voyage we ended up in QG for the P2 fare (spoiling us forever). But when I explored this on a recent booking, it applied only to Britannia Club or lower fares.

• Like 1

OP's questions could have been easily answered by a Good TA so I assume they booked Direct with Cunard?

It is not too late to transfer this booking to a Good TA and not only have all concerns answered but additional discount/OBC/amenities applied.

Also watch for better Cunard Sales during the year. US bookings may be canceled and deposits moved to a new booking anytime prior to final payment.

2 hours ago, MCC retired said:

US bookings may be canceled and deposits moved to a new booking anytime prior to final payment.

I’ve canceled/rebooked three times so far on upcoming voyage (this is the first time I booked direct with Cunard, all other voyages via TA). I also received and accepted a phone call offer to upgrade from P2 to Q6. 
Question - If I had a TA, would that travel professional proactively contact me if they see lower rates or is it up us as pax to keep abreast of fare movements and contact TA? I love working with TA’s but wanted to give trip a go myself. 

2 minutes ago, NE John said:

I’ve canceled/rebooked three times so far on upcoming voyage (this is the first time I booked direct with Cunard, all other voyages via TA). I also received and accepted a phone call offer to upgrade from P2 to Q6. 
Question - If I had a TA, would that travel professional proactively contact me if they see lower rates or is it up us as pax to keep abreast of fare movements and contact TA? I love working with TA’s but wanted to give trip a go myself. 

Answer:

TA most likely will not contact you about a lower rate for your booking but should have no problem rebooking you but with perhaps less TA Goodies .

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TouchstoneFeste said:

And it may or may not apply in all fare classes. Our first voyage we ended up in QG for the P2 fare (spoiling us forever). But when I explored this on a recent booking, it applied only to Britannia Club or lower fares.

Correct—only BC and below for the current offer. Sigh!