Marella Discovery 2

HI all.

Does anyone know what  is  happening  with Discovery 2  this coming winter.  According to the web page nothing is planned  after the end of October, are they still planning where its going ?.

Discovery 2 was going to be in the Far East but those cruises have been cancelled due to the Suez Canal troubles.  Cruises resume early May from Palma.  Not sure whether they will find alterntive locations for Disc2, I can't imagine they will send another ship to the Caribbean.

They only have Caribbean and Canaries unless they try something new and unusual.

Many of the displaced passenger are rebooked already will there be new demand to fill the ship

Within a 6 month booking window already for the first cruises

Hopefully somewhere warm with some decent rates.

I was surprised they have up the good Far East money even with the hit on getting the ship there and back

Having spoken to TUI/Marella booking staff they are equally frustrated with the decision making for these ships. They have been told very little and 70% of clients affected by the decision to pull the Asian itineraries have cancelled.

whilst discovery is up for sale maybe the plan was for disc2 to take over these winter Caribbean sailings. 
Regardless to all this there is more to it all than we’ve been told, All other cruise lines are still offering Asian itineraries and what about the staff on both ships? I know TUI are not what they once were but to can 6 months of sailings with no alternative on offer is surely very bad management on all fronts.

I agree its bad management, i was not aware of Discovery   being up for sail is it the rumour mill getting out of control or is it a fact.  we are very sad if true, we love the Discovery Ships and rate them both well above  any of the others in the fleet.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, gramwold said:

I agree its bad management, i was not aware of Discovery   being up for sail is it the rumour mill getting out of control or is it a fact.  we are very sad if true, we love the Discovery Ships and rate them both well above  any of the others in the fleet.

Bookings are being taken for both Discovery’s for next summer so it doesn’t look as though either one is up for sale.

Edited by Tizzy-Jo
Spelling

Discovery has "been" on sale for ages.

Being on sale is not unusual and lines have ages to transition a ship if they get enough and have replacements in mind/food chain.

Remember Marella is at the low end/bottom not a lot of demand for the cast off ships.

Asia was a good earner they could have got the ship there and mitigated the relocation costs with passenger passages rather than dead head all the way.

We are late bookers but the deals are out there and now booked up to Oct(none Marella)

if Marella want some of our money they need to get more competitive before our late year money finds a home with a different cruise line.

Maybe we should ask chrishackney@tui.com 

I find the complete lack of information with all of this quite concerning and maybe this is the start of Marella being sold off and ceasing to exist. TUI are not interested in UK market anymore and this is either proof of that or extremely bad management from the top….over to you Chris?

Hi all.  Update  on Discovery 2, i have just noticed on Marella web page that D2 will finish sailing the med on 28th November  24  and start roundtrip sailings from Gran Canaria  on 2nd December and Tenerife on 3rd December for the winter. it will basically do the same sailings as Explorer but on different days. At the 24th March 25 it makes its way back to Cyprus  on a 9/8 day sail.